tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Left at 4PM from SI, got a half scoop, worst short scoop I have seen yet! Did not fill the 10 bait cans I had, we had to only fill 3/4 to even hoop. Lame. How does one handle this? We were already a ways away from the barge, hate to go back and complain. Many half scoops usually gets you a fill on 10 bait tubes. Oh well! Fished shallow, 30' max, inside the bay, many hoopers out. Talked to 4 different ones all who had no love, 2 had no bugs period! Not much tide swing. 4 sets, 2 legals, (1 nicer one), 2 shorts 2 rays, 2 octos. Done by 11:30. Played with a new underwater camera, it is pretty cool! Looked at the spots we caught the 2, sandy bottom, no structure. Had hope for end of season glory-next time!

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    FYI-I was not "being cheap", but by experience a 1/2 was all that was needed. I guess I will buy a full scoop, then a scoop and 1/2, then 2! BTW, the floor scraper-wooden bottom bucket worked very well for dicing up the bait! The camera was a color version, adjustable led brightness. Showed the bottom very well. Will be doing some recon upcoming. It was very nice at slack tide.

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0

Jay1

Jul 1, 2015
    Name
    Julian
    Boat
    Boat hoe
    I experienced the same thing last time i went to the bait barge in the bay. I usually can over stuff my 5 roach coaches with a half a scoop of deans and have a lil left over but i was way short last time. I think I’ll pay more attention to how full the net is on every pass i guess and i feel you get one shot to say something and that’s when he’s making the passes. It’s not being cheap it’s getting what you paid for so i feel ya!

Reactions: cortezpirasea
    Upvote 0
    Jul 10, 2016
    Highland, Ca
    Name
    Tito Saldana
    Boat
    Defiance 290
    I experienced the same thing last time i went to the bait barge in the bay. I usually can over stuff my 5 roach coaches with a half a scoop of deans and have a lil left over but i was way short last time. I think I’ll pay more attention to how full the net is on every pass i guess and i feel you get one shot to say something and that’s when he’s making the passes. It’s not being cheap it’s getting what you paid for so i feel ya!
    By the wat those Roach Coaches are the BOMB!!!! I scoop usually fills 10 of those when we go... I 1/2 scoop will pack them solid with a little to spare

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    If you don't get a half of a 5 gallon bucket for a half scoop don't tip them the 5 they will figure it out believe me.

I had a buddy out in our zone last night he said it was Combat Hooping and he thinks somebody ran over one of his floats and cut the line so he moved to the Channel for Zilch.

Nice to see you finally got out Joe hope to see you out there soon!

Reactions: tunakillerjoe1
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    FYI-I was not "being cheap", but by experience a 1/2 was all that was needed. I guess I will buy a full scoop, then a scoop and 1/2, then 2! BTW, the floor scraper-wooden bottom bucket worked very well for dicing up the bait! The camera was a color version, adjustable led brightness. Showed the bottom very well. Will be doing some recon upcoming. It was very nice at slack tide.
    It's always nice to have Extra, If the bugs are chewing and you run out of bait and need to refill them or top them off! I've been their before and It's a bitch leaving them when there crawling and not having limit's on the boat or If you have limits and want to upgrade on some of the smaller ones!

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

• Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Thanks everyone! We had a military patrol boat drive right thru our 10 hoops, did not cut any off. Just cruzing around. I recently purchased a Eyoyo camera with a 9" screen, 24 leds, IR, and 100' of cable. Unknown model, about $280 on Amazon. It seems to work well, great at night. I think the night I was out there was a very low tidal difference, only 2 feet. This made it clearer, and easier to stay in one place. I think it will be useful to find structure. Maybe on patties too. The amount of bait was not a half of a bucket. Maybe a 1/4 or so.

Reactions: Noms and joshc1024
    Upvote 0

cortezpirasea

Pangero
    Feb 23, 2012
    la mesa, ca
    Name
    Russell
    Boat
    21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
    I got a half a scoop on Saturday and it seemed purposefully light. I noticed it was a new group of guys at the barge... ?

Upvote 0

talltales

Oct 22, 2004
    Ridgecrest Ca
    Name
    ron
    Boat
    2359 Trophy
    I was out on Saturday night, had about the same results. About 9 or 10 shorts and 2 keepers. First time I ever ran over my net and got it all wrapped up in the prop, fell off the boat when I was trying to get it unwrapped, so since I was all wet already, just stayed in the water and got it off the prop. Kind of funny, I guess shit happens.

Upvote 0

Reefmo

Nov 28, 2016
    North OC
    Name
    Matt Skogmo
    Boat
    Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
    I was out on Saturday night, had about the same results. About 9 or 10 shorts and 2 keepers. First time I ever ran over my net and got it all wrapped up in the prop, fell off the boat when I was trying to get it unwrapped, so since I was all wet already, just stayed in the water and got it off the prop. Kind of funny, I guess shit happens.
    Funny if you are not near a breakwall or shoaling rocks. Otherwise 'fill the trousers' time.
    Happened to me 1x... Now I always have the electric trolling motor down and running - just in case the main motor eats rope (or vice versa)

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    jeff meeker
    Boat
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    That's some funny shit right there but I can't laugh too hard; early last year I tried hooping the sewer pipe outfall off Pt Loma in the dead of winter with a 3-4' swell when I wrapped a commercial trap rope around my Blackman Props which actually stalled the diesel motor. I spent the next 90 minutes on my stomach on my swimstep with a knife trying to cut the yards of heavy rope off my props while getting dunked every 6-8 seconds from the swell. Froze my ass off and NEVER hooped solo in the Blackman again.

Upvote 0