Nice Dorado....BFT still out there

rg380

Jul 9, 2015
San Diego
Name
ram
Boat
chasintail (friends boat)
Left Mission bay at 5 am...no boats in front of us and none behind us. We felt pretty good heading out. We were going to go up to Encinitas 5 miles off the coast and head west from there. About 9 miles off Encinitas we found a school of tuna but didn't get a bite.....headed out and about 15 miles found the parking lot. Lots of meter marks under the boat about 25-50 feet down. It looked to be bait. At about 8:30 am the birds started to work the surface and it was on. We saw a school of birds and slowly got in front of them, turned everything off and had the tuna come very close to the boat. We hooked one on an iron for about 1 minute and it was off. Then the rest of the fleet showed up. For most part, boats were behaving properly till a couple yahoos showed up and decided to run over every school of bird they could find. We left the area to try to find an area with less traffic. About half way back home we found a patty and my buddy hooked a nice dorado. It was a nice fight and it was a shame gaffing such a beautiful fish.

The BFT were definitely there off Encinitas. We spotted fish from 9 miles to 16 miles out. Only problem was competing with many other boats. Also, there were several seiners out with their spotters planes. I am sure the area will be cleaned out within a couple days.

dodo.JPG

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
Good work!

ssrmr2

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
nice thanks for the report. hopefully they want to bite tomorrow

Ricsen

Apr 16, 2015
Name
Rich
Boat
Robalo 260 CC
Outstanding dorado. Glad you saw the tuna and you'll get them next time out. Congratulations on your catch.

Jul 31, 2008
Jamul
Name
Tom
Boat
'78 Ski Tique family wagon, Sporties, Father Inlaw.
Beautiful fish and I would say shitty gaff job, but those are not easy to gaff we all know that. Thanks for the report

Reactions: Goleta_Slim

hotrail20

COW HUNTERS
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
Saw the Seiners the other day all they were pulling up was small YF they can have them.

NICE DODO

pastdue

May 18, 2006
Mira Mesa
Name
Don Cale
Boat
18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
Great catch. Those guys running over the fish I believe they are duck Hunters we should send them to the Salton Sea then they can just have at it

Iceberg

Jeff
Apr 13, 2007
San Diego
Name
Jeff
Boat
My roommies twin-V catamaran
Nice bull!

Jaggy

May 18, 2010
spring valley
Name
jon
Boat
26 ft fiberform
Their not duck hunters, most duck hunters have patience and skill. These googans are just that!!! Googans. Although duck hunters have the same problem with inexperienced hunters that don't have patience and shoot too soon. I'll call them doogans. Lol

Jaggy

May 18, 2010
spring valley
Name
jon
Boat
26 ft fiberform
For those (googans) that don't know any better stay on the edges of the boil and try to herd them with the other boats. Shut everything down and wait. Never, never try to drive through the middle of the boil. All you will do is scatter and push the fish down