scubasmith
Jul 21, 2004
OC
Name
Tim
Boat
25ft sea ray...TopShot
What is your range in that boat?
I have a 85 gallon in the floor but when I go offshore I put a 25 gallon tank on the bow and another 20 gallon tank inside the cuddy cabin. So my range is 220 miles conservative!
I also installed a floscan unit for my fuel that's very accurate so I can keep track of how the mileages compared to the sea conditions so I can make it home

Steve Francis

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 11, 2006
--
Name
StephenKatSea
Boat
.--.
20 gal of fuel (gasoline?) stored in your cuddy cabin? Did I read that correctly?

Reactions: scubasmith

scubasmith

scubasmith
Jul 21, 2004
OC
Name
Tim
Boat
25ft sea ray...TopShot
Thank you for that compliment it is nice to have your boat run well and it's so old but it take me to the promised land and back LOL so nice to catch a big fish on your own boat, with your own gear, using all your own knots and techniques to land a beautiful Cow Bluefin in local Waters

scubasmith

scubasmith
Jul 21, 2004
OC
Name
Tim
Boat
25ft sea ray...TopShot
WTF ????? No we are fishing buddies....Don't be an idiot....

Mojo1

Apr 24, 2015
Ca
Name
None
Boat
None
Finally was able to run my boat out to the backside of San Clemente Island to fish for the big boysView attachment 1055479 with the Frozen flying fish and skipping the yummy flyer from the kite. But on the way out we passed by the 289 spot and found lots of foaming Yellowfin tuna 20 - 50 lb fish ... we threw everything we had at them but could not get a strike . So I decided to jump over and see if they would eat the steel shaft from my speargun haha !View attachment 1055480 Not very successful the water was filled with anchovies scales and about 6 feet visibility . So we moved on to the nice temperature break that was showing on Temperance. Com . We fished hard until dark View attachment 1055481 and then we made our moved to pyramid Cove for the night and dropped the anchor. Lot of squid in the cove
The next morning rolled out meter some fish at 100 ft and 8 miles off pyramid head and decided to put the frozen flying fish out on the kite...an hour later we were bit! View attachment 1055482 My buddy Mike put the screws to this fish with around 40 lb of drag and 30 minutes later we had him gaffed n tail roped..View attachment 1055483 .Then we slow trolled a mackerel through a nice foamer of bluefin and got a smaller 90 lb fish and then called it a day!
The fish are out there and they're hungry .... it was a little rough out there, but it was worth it!
Cheers!!!!View attachment 1055478
Would you please share how you rigged the frozen flying fish. I'm going out next week it would be very helpful.

Reactions: Gouryella

scubasmith

scubasmith
Jul 21, 2004
OC
Name
Tim
Boat
25ft sea ray...TopShot
Would you please share how you rigged the frozen flying fish. I'm going out next week it would be very helpful.
The third picture in my post that shows the flying fish I use in the rig that was you. It's basically a 10 / O J hook just put through the head behind the eyes and a treble hook a rubber band a couple inches up from the tail using a 400 lb mono leader for both hooks equal so that in length so that when it flies20190806_111715.jpg from the kite the Flying Fish lays flat on the water from your swivel and Main Line from the kite clip

Reactions: Blackfish

scubasmith

scubasmith
Jul 21, 2004
OC
Name
Tim
Boat
25ft sea ray...TopShot
Epic!! Way to go Tim. So many of us on here are trying to obtain the exact same thing you did. We use what we have to make it happen, and when it does the reward is priceless. Congrats to you and crew.

Cheers!
Thx .....

Mojo1

Apr 24, 2015
Ca
Name
None
Boat
None
The third picture in my post that shows the flying fish I use in the rig that was you. It's basically a 10 / O J hook just put through the head behind the eyes and a treble hook a rubber band a couple inches up from the tail using a 400 lb mono leader for both hooks equal so that in length so that when it fliesView attachment 1056250 from the kite the Flying Fish lays flat on the water from your swivel and Main Line from the kite clip
great! which hook was the lucky one?

apogee

My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic
Jan 29, 2009
Bakersfield
Name
Apogee..
Boat
Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
Wooo Hoooo!...Good job....score!..................Ap