Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
OK, one time, I bought a reel (used) came to my senses and sold it for what I paid for it.

But, why are there so many NIB reels for sale? I asked the question of one guy who has a couple of reels for sale, this exact scenario. He replied "I have doubles of everything."

Question is why buy and then sell for less than list? Are these deals guys who are selling for retailers?

Upvote 0

angelinasdad

Captain
May 23, 2006
HB
Name
Anthony
Boat
Parker 2320
Not all tackle shops have Costco's return policy so once purchased no money back in a short period. Then they come to their senses when bills are due. However it appears there may be a few who have a connection to a wholesale account. Enjoy either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: koifish
Upvote 0

Choonaguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 17, 2010
Long Beach
Name
Joe Kane
Boat
none
I thought the same a few years ago before I had friends who worked in shops and they quickly answered my question..... It's credit cards. People will walk in asking what they need for a trip and leave after swiping for 2 to 3 grand. Also what some guys will do bc you can tell when they need to sell asap and by today or the weekend. They swipe the card then have more expensive bills to pay. Those credit cards are a killer for minimum payments. 1st and the 15th. Sell the reel and rod combo for $700 and only pay $50-$100 for it now. Kind of like a horrible loan system

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
We all wonder the same thing, but does it really matter if we are saving money on brand new reels??

it does to me if they are stolen. (NOT accusing anyone, just sayin)

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    In my short stay here I've noticed that a lot of the stuff listed is near retail pricing. With a little bit of knowhow you can easily get any reels at 25%+ off, using rebates, cashback sites, giftcards, etc. So I could easily see making profit off of buying and reselling on here.

In summary I think you guys are overpaying

Reactions: TakeItEasy
    Upvote 0

tony38

Mar 30, 2014
    Name
    tony
    Boat
    none yet
    good one , and you see most of them being the same persons selling new rods and reels
    woder whats going on.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Cutgilz

Almost A Member
    Sep 8, 2014
    Anaheim
    Name
    Eddie
    Boat
    YOURS
    If the OP or anyone else is that worried about the gear on here being stolen,THEN STAY OFF THE CLASSIFIEDS! Pretty fucking simple.

I strongly believe this is not the case. I know quite a few stand up guys on here who sell new gear for many different legit/legal/good reasons. Stop being so paranoid. lol

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I get a little buyer's remorse on occasion. But some of these listings make the sellers look pretty stupid.

I also get that some guys will get more than a little carried away, buying not just hooks and jigs, fluorocarbon and other terminal tackle, but rods and reels, too. The suggestion to an angler who is about to make his first multi day trip, " Don't buy, borrow, use loaner/rental tackle" seems to fall on deaf ears. What if it's not your thing? I remember a guy, I think his handle here was "Longshot Scott." Went fucking nuts, spending in excess of $10,000 on gear for a 15 day. Sold it all less than six months after the trip.

Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    For real? There are people on here that think this stuff is stolen? What a joke.

Off the top of my head I can think of 1/2 a dozen shops that would sell gears at heavily discounted prices to compete with online prices or just to survive. If you don't know where these shops are then just buy the NIB gears on here from guys who do. Just consider it a finder's fee for the guys who took the time to make a few buck.

If you're that paranoid about it then go buy gears at full msrp + tax from countless shops out there. Tackle manufacturers would really appreciate your 'integrity' I'm sure.

Upvote 0

FakeDuaneDiego

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Burbank
    Name
    D
    Boat
    N/a
    I'm not bothered when these reels are sold at 20-25% off with no tax and line. That's pretty much what I can get at my tackle shop for any reel. It demonstrates, to me anyways, that these guys are just selling at what they paid for it.

On the other hand, it does bother me a bit when someone posts reels at near retail price. Are these guys just treating BD as a source of income? I think that's just wrong. This is supposed to be a fishing community, not a business and an avenue to fuck your fellow member in the ass. If the seller is getting a huge deal on the reel, then at least sell to members at a reasonable price. My comments were recently deleted from from a buyer who has posted a couple BNIB reels at less than 5% off retail price. I know we're simply not supposed comment if we don't like the price, but I felt almost obligated to warn fellow BD members not to get screwed over.

Anyways, just my 2¢ about the matter.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Jigslinger

Fishing is an incurable disease
    Apr 5, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Big ones with hot burgers and cold drinks
    I'm not bothered when these reels are sold at 20-25% off with no tax and line. That's pretty much what I can get at my tackle shop for any reel. It demonstrates, to me anyways, that these guys are just selling at what they paid for it.

On the other hand, it does bother me a bit when someone posts reels at near retail price. Are these guys just treating BD as a source of income? I think that's just wrong. This is supposed to be a fishing community, not a business and an avenue to fuck your fellow member in the ass. My comments were recently deleted from from a buyer who has posted a couple BNIB reels at less than 5% off retail price. I know we're simply not supposed comment if we don't like the price, but I felt almost obligated to warn fellow BD members not to get screwed over.

Anyways, just my 2¢ about the matter.

But but but he had $60 worth of spectra on it! Lol

Upvote 0

Cutgilz

Almost A Member
    Sep 8, 2014
    Anaheim
    Name
    Eddie
    Boat
    YOURS
    @Kooguy80 - MOST guys on here are getting 40% off retail and are undercutting shops? Dude there is NO way that you can come close to proving that is true statement. Actually sounds like that is a complete stretch of what's happening here. Let's calm down boys this shit is getting silly.

Upvote 0

FakeDuaneDiego

Almost A Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Burbank
    Name
    D
    Boat
    N/a
    Also, I found it hilarious that after the Maximus blew out their Accurate inventory on FB, BD was suddenly saturated with Accurate reels going for ~$100+ on top of what the Maximus let them go for.

'MERICA

Upvote 0

marlineer84

If it doesn't have a bill, it's just bait...
    Apr 30, 2007
    WAY East of where I used to be...
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    High Tide
    OK, one time, I bought a reel (used) came to my senses and sold it for what I paid for it.

But, why are there so many NIB reels for sale? I asked the question of one guy who has a couple of reels for sale, this exact scenario. He replied "I have doubles of everything."

Question is why buy and then sell for less than list? Are these deals guys who are selling for retailers?

Lots of guys fish tournaments.

Lots of tournaments give out tackle for awards and raffles.

Lots of guys unload said tackle online because they already have better gear or want different gear.

Mystery solved. :-)

Upvote 0

f15h1n6

Almost A Member
    Apr 29, 2012
    CT
    Name
    User
    Boat
    DeBait
    Not defending or supporting anyone but there was a guy who was selling a brand new in the box Van Staal for $400. A few days prior, I remembered seeing this advertisement from some online fishing store that was offering a buy 2 Van Staal's and get one free deal. That gentleman selling the van staal confirmed he is selling the "free" reel for $400, although they retail for $500. If someone couldn't afford two to get the third, then his offer was good for some looking for just one. He wins, buyer wins and everyones happy. (No I did not buy it as someone else got to it before I could). But possibly other buys in the same situation.

Reactions: DonnieD and hdz805
    Upvote 0