Killerskiff

The end is near
Jul 5, 2008
Hootervillle
Name
JD
Boat Name
Obliviousone
We ran out yesterday and got five off the first paddy 10 miles short of the 181 on a beeline from Oceanside, all on the dean 8-20 lbs with only one big one 20 plus farmed into the prop dam it! It was full speed and was sure we'd fill the box in to time that was until until a diver jumped in and shut it down! BTW the dean was borderline cured and in amazing excellent condition, sure it was all seven inch stuff but about as good as it gets. Ran south from there to the upper nine and 178 and then back up to the 181 all for nada. We saw thousands of fish on about 7-8 paddies but the guys doing the best were the speros as they were just killing it.

After cleaning fish they were all full of anchovies in sizes from less than an inch to about three inches but the majority being less than an inch and looked like a chovie but more similar to a shad in shape. They key for us was light line 12 lbs test and if I had to do it over I'd be daring enough to go down to 8 lbs test. Two things to note as I wish I had brought my 800XL bass stick. I threw the old school bubble splasher feather rig and every time 30-50 fish would follow it and just about to eat it and then back off right at the boat. Also threw the Big Hammer in 4" chovie and grunion size with the same result as the splasher rig however; the three inch might have done the trick.

To all fellow anglers when I do this again in next week I will be thinking like a trout/bass angler as I'll get a bunch of those little pre rigged swimbaits or smallest Big Hammers I can find and again something in shad color, heck now that I think about it, a smaller Shad Rap or small Rapala would have probably got licked real good. We saw several foamers of Dodo's that I've never seen before so much that it surpassed anything I've ever seen before and even with a perfect dean cast right in the middle, they has zero interest? If you go this route for sure there will be lots of casualties but it's a lot better than being a fish spectator. Light is right and ask any good bass angler how hard you can pull on 8 lbs test, it would be lots of fun and an epic battle, besides you'd find out good you really are. And if you hook a tuna or something large then just bust it off and change to a more suited rig, heed the info and I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I love photos of colorful dorado no matter how many time I see them.... hint hint... :D:D

Congrats!

Upvote 0

lowprofile

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    I launched about 4pm yesterday and didn’t find decent water until about 12 miles out, turned south towards the upper 9 and didn’t see anything. No patty’s, no birds. Got a blind strike on a daisy chain 12-13 miles off LJ but it didn’t stick.

I’ll stick with NFIO for now. The 181 can be reached from any SD launch lol

Upvote 0

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Bigtuna
    Boat Name
    Parker 2310
    We ran out yesterday and got five off the first paddy 10 miles short of the 181 on a beeline from Oceanside, all on the dean 8-20 lbs with only one big one 20 plus farmed into the prop dam it! It was full speed and was sure we'd fill the box in to time that was until until a diver jumped in and shut it down! BTW the dean was borderline cured and in amazing excellent condition, sure it was all seven inch stuff but about as good as it gets. Ran south from there to the upper nine and 178 and then back up to the 181 all for nada. We saw thousands of fish on about 7-8 paddies but they guys doing the best were the speros as they were just killing it.

After cleaning fish they were all full of anchovies in sizes from less than an inch to about three inches but the majority being less than an inch and looked like a chovie but more similar to a shad in shape. They key for us was light line 12 lbs test and if I had to do it over I'd be daring enough to go down to 8 lbs test. Two things to note as I wish I had brought my 800XL bass stick. I threw the old school bubble splasher feather rig and every time 30-50 fish would follow it and just about to eat it and then back off right at the boat. Also threw the Big Hammer in 4" chovie and grunion size with the same result as the splasher rig however; the three inch might have done the trick.

To all fellow anglers when I do this again in next week I will be thinking like a trout angler as I'll get a bunch of those little pre rigged swimbaits or smallest Big Hammers I can find and again something in shad color, heck now that I think about it, a smaller Shad Rap or small Rapala would have probably got licked real good. We saw several foamers of Dodo's that I've never seen before so much that it surpassed anything I've ever seen before and even with a perfect dean cast right in the middle, they has zero interest? If you go this route for sure there will be lots of casualties but it's a lot better than being a fish spectator. Light is right and ask any good bass angler how hard you can pull on 8 lbs test, it would be lots of fun and an epic battle, besides you'd find out good you really are. And if you hook a tuna or something large then just bust it off and change to a more suited rig, heed the info and I hope it helps.
    Thanks for report and advice

Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat Name
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    As a diver, the guy who hopped in is a dick unless he got permission. We found our own paddy to dive on Sunday. Killed.
    agreed. if im fishing, i've had divers approach and ask, i always say sure please wait til i'm done. as soon as i come to the conclusion i'm not going to catch any, i tell them to go get um.....usually stick around and watch for a bit. if im diving i always either ask, wait til they are done, or move on. i had some real asshats follow me around one time, and jump in on me at every stop. i had enough after several stops and decided i'd circle around the divers while pumping out my head tank. that ended that, didn't see them again.

Reactions: Reel_Newbie
    Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
    Jul 5, 2008
    Hootervillle
    Name
    JD
    Boat Name
    Obliviousone
    I launched about 4pm yesterday and didn’t find decent water until about 12 miles out, turned south towards the upper 9 and didn’t see anything. No patty’s, no birds. Got a blind strike on a daisy chain 12-13 miles off LJ but it didn’t stick.

I’ll stick with NFIO for now. The 181 can be reached from any SD launch lol
    Best part of oceanside is that it's centrally located and it's not a cluster fuck of boaters and the bait is usually very good with ample portions, plus sometimes you can get it done very close to home and the launch ramp and docks are really top notch.

Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
    Jul 5, 2008
    Hootervillle
    Name
    JD
    Boat Name
    Obliviousone
    As a diver, the guy who hopped in is a dick unless he got permission. We found our own paddy to dive on Sunday. Killed.
    Over the years we've saved the lives of a handful of divers who got in serious trouble and I've never been an issue for divers, too bad too many divers can't say the same because at times they can be worse than the seals.

Upvote 0

lowprofile

• Dec 11, 2011
    Oceanside
    Name
    chris
    Boat Name
    15 ft Saturn inflatable
    Best part of oceanside is that it's centrally located and it's not a cluster fuck of boaters and the bait is usually very good with ample portions, plus sometimes you can get it done very close to home and the launch ramp and docks are really top notch.
    I totally agree I love living here in Oceanside and all it has to offer but when the fish aren’t here they’re really not here and then you have to make that tough decision to turn left or right.
    The best part is all the kelp from the Channel Islands, cat and Malibu funnels through the cat channel and dumps into our warm water

Upvote 0