Next Rod and Reel

mmills

Oct 12, 2020
Mission Viejo, CA
Name
Michael Mills
Boat
Carver 28
I am curious what everyone thinks my next Rod and reel should be. I currently have a small bass rod in the 20lb range. It is really just my inshore/back bay rod. Thinking about selling it but we shall see. I then have a 800L with an avet Sx g2 6/4. I am planning to use that for bait and surface irons. My wife has a live bait spinning rod around 30 lbs. I do mostly inshore and island fishing. I am wondering what a good next setup would be. Was thinking a Penn 40N on my ugly stick rated to 60 lbs for now but that reel seems like overkill for that rod. Thought/suggestions?

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Help us out a little more. Desired mission? Targeted species? Size of fish you will target? Size of boat you are fishing from?

Upvote 0

mmills

Oct 12, 2020
Mission Viejo, CA
Name
Michael Mills
Boat
Carver 28
Yes good point. I am looking for something in the flat fall, yo-yo, sinker rig. Mostly for smaller school size tuna. Nothing super heavy, maybe 40-50 pound test or so.

Upvote 0

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Right now there aren't a lot of smaller school size tuna around. Great problem to have! Birdie800 nailed it, Fathom 40 NLD2 with either 65# or 80# braid is great reel and great value. I have 2, both loaded with almost 500 yards of 80# braid. One of mine is paired with a UC Predator, excellent 50# stick that can scale up or down a line class (40/50/60#). You can find one on sale for $300. Another good stick for a few $$$ less is the Okuma PCH-C-741XXH for around $260. My second 40 NLD2 sits on a UC Zeus-3 high speed jigging stick; very much a specialty rig.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for, but the Tuna that are out there right now are Tackle Wreckers and Heart Breakers. With a Fathom 40 NLD2 and a good stick you can reasonably expect to land anything up to about 160#, maybe even 200# if you are both lucky and good!

Reactions: B-BOYS and mmills
Upvote 0

mmills

Oct 12, 2020
Mission Viejo, CA
Name
Michael Mills
Boat
Carver 28
Thank you for the great response! I am leaning towards that as it is a very good price and I have only heard great things about the Penn fathoms.

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
That SX.... will haul in decently sized Tuna... Especially on a long seeker!
Years and years of doing the same thing over and over! Fish it till you break it!

My Blue lightning SX combo is hard to beat for anything under 40 pounds... Sure I could horse in some big fish with a big real big drag big line.... But the fish have to bite....
Going lite is a great way to get bit more often.... you will lose those big fish... but you will out catch everyone else!

That said... if you fish on inexpensive trips... Straight Spectra to as much flouro as your rod is long. Same in kelp.

Reactions: mmills
M
mmills
I am using the sx with a 800L for surface irons and such. So I plan to use it for a lot. Hopefully get some smaller tuna or yellowtail.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0