Uglybones

Take a step to the left.
Jul 13, 2008
Lakeside
Name
Ian
Boat
the big one with 30 other people
This is awesome. I remember my uncle taking me out when I was 4 years old on twilight trips. Who knew that would be the spark that ignited the blaze? Here I am 30 and headed out on an 8 day. Next year will be a 10 day. He will remember that fish forever! Props!!!

Reactions: Mike Barrera

Baller

Jig Chucker
Nov 16, 2010
La Mesa
Name
Bill
Boat
American Angler
Nicely done sir...!!!

Mike Barrera

Feb 25, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Mike B
Boat
None
Thanks for the post. That is my 8 yo son. 78 pounds and lands a 83# (beats my BFT best also lol). I am so proud of him and also want to sing the praises of the crew that made his experience legendary. Obviously he had some assistance - especially with a stern to bow run that ended in a 10 minute tangle that Justin and Jordan navigated around, but he fished the rail well and finished the thing off like a pro. He was on my Talica 20/60#, which is a lot of reel for his little hands.

Btw - flat falls were the ticket, and I went 0 for 3 on the colt sniper i was fishing. I only brought one with a treble hook instead of my re-rigged single hook ones. The treble kept coming unbolted, but it certainly was attractive. I thought we were going to fish yellowtail only so bad prep on my part.

Thanks again for the post.

ReelDealAngler

Born To Fish
Apr 21, 2013
Dana Point,CA
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
I remember my son catching his first BFT a 53lb fish at age 10 on the Pacific Queen, he won the jackpot! He had some help getting around the anchor davit and negotiating the bow but he hung in there. He was using a Shimano Tekota 600 levelwind with 50lb braid to a short 30lb fluoro leader, the reel was a better fit for his small hands but line capacity was an issue as he got down to the bottom a couple of times, luckily he had enough drag and a better recoiling composite Seeker Black Steel rod to pull it off. That was 13 years ago, both he and I still remember it like it was yesterday. Its an experience your son will never forget... way to go Dad! The smile on the little guy's face says it all. :)

G

Reactions: Mike Barrera

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Mike,

Be proud of your son and yourself for giving him the opportunity. I am sure it made the trip for Brian and his crew.

Cheers!

Mike Barrera

Feb 25, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Mike B
Boat
None
FishRock,

Thanks. Brian and crew were stoked for him. It was a great experience for me as well as I never worried about him for a second the entire trip. Conrad and I ate lunch with Brad and newer deckhand Rocco before the trip which I think helped little man get acclimated. Whenever I wondered where he was - he was always up in the wheelhouse with Brian checking out the electronics and stuff, or around the bait wells practicing holding bait.

Everyone on the boat were super cool and many were longtime riders, and the AA crew is (as usual) outstanding, which was why I chose the AA for his first trip.

Its gonna start costing me now...next year will be a 5 day....:)

Reactions: Steve K

fishfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
You created a little fishing machine now!!!
Aint that just awesome!!!
Fruit didnt fall far from the old tree huh?
Congrats !!!

Mike Barrera

Feb 25, 2014
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Mike B
Boat
None
Mike what weight and color were those flat falls?
I think it ranged from 80g to 160g (Conrads was a 160g). Nearly any color but all (I think) had chrome back, not gold. On the drop and on the retrieve (Deana got both of hers on a moderate retrieve). Some cast, some dropped right next to boat. Brian was calling out when they were coming back under etc.

Like I said I was using a colt sniper and had relatively good action (5 bites, 3 hook ups), except that it was a treble and it came unbuttoned twice, third time I lost it (broke due to not retrying after previous strike - user error). I was casting and didnt have to let it go as deep as the flat falls.