Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Short story, lots of kelps, no one home.

long story: Launched out of Newport about 4:00with intent of running out to the 209 looking for someof the yellowfin that have been soaking out by the 14 mile and out. Stopped and got an okay half scoop of dines from Newport then made the run outside the harbor. It waskinda bumby for about 15 miles or till it got light at 5:30. I went from 12 miles an hour to 25 judt in the change. Got to the 209 about 6:50 and started trolling, stopped on twopatties which looked beautiful but no one home. Then about 5 minutes later I saw a monster shark,turned out to be about a 10 foot mako. I tried baiting it with a tiagra 50w with a steel leader and a sardine. Got no luck after it sunk out. Deployed the kite at 7:30-8:00 with a yummie flyer and trolled that till about 10:00 with no luck. Also tried DTX and a cedar plug daisy chain with no luck. By about 11:00 we were making our way back from the 181 when a guy on a yacht calls out foaming 60-80 lb bluefin on a massive squid float. So we motored the 5 miles to only find the rest of the fleet heading over that way. Spent about a half hour looking but either the guy was full of it or they sunk out. I don’t think the guy was full of it though because he called out his name and boat and stuff. By about 12:00 we stopped fishing and proceeded to fight the idiot summer time crowds. I’ve never seen so many kayakers in my life.

some things to note, kite flying is not as easy as it seems. If you are heading out wanting to learn it just remember this, tighten your clip as tight as you can because a 60-300 lb tuna will pull it out no problem. You also want to keep your kite rod line tight as possible and you want a little slack in theyummie rod if possible so it skips.

key notes:
Sardines for bsit
Water was 70.5-71.6
Lots of trash in the water, like chip bags gloves
Stopped on about 15 patties with nothing.
lots of radio chatter.
Thanks
-Logan

Upvote 0

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
The trash is everywhere. I’ve been picking it up as much as possible. Gloves seem to be the new Mylar balloons.

Upvote 0

Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
The trash is everywhere. I’ve been picking it up as much as possible. Gloves seem to be the new Mylar balloons.
Yep, they were as far as the eye could see. Water clarity looked pretty good, just lots of debris on the surface

Upvote 0

jbl_91762

Sep 23, 2017
CHINO
Name
JOEY
Boat
KAYAK
Thanks for report. Yeah I often Kayak fish NPH also for over 4 years and each year more and more kayaks out there. Now more then ever people go get them and fish, problem is these newcomers never properly prepare or know what they are doing. Lots of reports that kayakers have to be rescued by other yakers cause the flipped and couldnt get back on board.

• Haha
Reactions: Zika
Upvote 0