castalot

Xstickman
Dec 24, 2007
HB
Name
T K
Boat
21.5 pursuit
first off.... Newport bait barges bait {dines} that they give pb SUCKS large. It was not what the sport boats get? Headed out and they started rolling. made the best of it on 3 or 4 patties 1 snap off brand new 40lb flouro second bummer........lots of porpise and birds 4 miles off south laguna must of been big swell that pushed the tunas down few boats few birds some meter marks . Maybe tues or wed looked fishy.

Upvote 0

gspot

Crazy for Cabo
Jun 21, 2007
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler
Newport bait barge doesn't give the same bait to PB. The sporties get the cured bait. This week with current, tide, and weather (lower barometric pressure) doesn't look too fishy. Next week looks to be much better. If you do go out, best of luck to you. Time on the water always helps. Next Tuesday through Saturday look awesome if the weather holds.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Wow, rough day! Why didn't you simply drive down to DP....or Oceanside??? It's cheaper to Better luck next time!

Upvote 0

luckyfisher7

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2007
Dudeport Beach
Name
Chris
Boat
18 whaler "Nishimaru"
I'm pretty sure the sport boats get equally as shitty bait out of Newport. They really don't have a lot of room to cure bait so it's turned over in a few days. Mackerel are usually abundant at the harbor entrance if the bait looks shitty(usually the cause in the summer) Or leave earlier and run down to Dana Point or better yet up to Long Beach.

Upvote 0

Guy with a boat

Zebco Pro Staffer
Jan 28, 2009
SoCal and Victoria, BC
Name
Jeff
Boat
63 Nordhavn
Newport bait barge does a great job. They do as well or better than Dana or SD in service and bait quality. When the fishing is good and they are burning through the bait, it's tough at all the barges. If your bait rolled quickly you should check your tank and how you handle the bait (including run speed).

Upvote 0

castalot

Xstickman
Dec 24, 2007
HB
Name
T K
Boat
21.5 pursuit
yeah wrong on they do a good job 30 bucks for half scoop........ and yes I know about the macs and pretty much putted out to save any hopes of bait living we all know what every barge is charging too..... maybe they should be at 20 for a half scoop

Upvote 0

SeaHogDelux

Fish Killer eater guy
Aug 19, 2010
San Pedro, ca usa
Name
Capt. Hog
Boat
Sgt. Slaughter
water is so warm its hard for the bait to live and they put new bait in there every day for everyone no way they can cure it it comes as fast as it goes, san pedro bait sucks too , dana point had some great bait yesterday

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
We got what looked to be decent bait At Dana Point on Sunday around 1 pm. Only one boat in front of us, the Fortune. First they got some bait from the well next to the Hutt hen moved to the well first in the front corner. Once they were done I pulled up and asked about bait from That well but was told it was all the same and got bait from the original well next to the hut. Most of our bait rolled in an hour. Hmmm..

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Guys, the sportboats buy bait from these guys everyday....of course they will get the better bait. Loyal customers always get the better end of the deal. Duh!!!

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Have to add that water temp 5 miles off Dana was 74 so not surprised the dines rolled. We got rained on hard off San Clemente.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
yeah wrong on they do a good job 30 bucks for half scoop........ and yes I know about the macs and pretty much putted out to save any hopes of bait living we all know what every barge is charging too..... maybe they should be at 20 for a half scoop
$30 for a half scoop???? Rip off!!! Dana $35 a scoop.....Nacho $35 a scoop.....sounds to me like Newport sells to suckers or those who fail to have options. :D

Upvote 0

AndyJ

Undocumented "Member"
May 8, 2008
Dana Point CA
Name
Andy Jakubas
Boat
1984 Cobalt DV 18.5
Absolutely right Jeff. I'm not complaining just observing. I wish I could be out there weekly and be a regular with some bait clout. It was Wide open on the short barries off San Mateo rocks on a Scampi Coaster right before the rain hit. One skinny beelined for my swim step and almost got my toe..

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Absolutely right Jeff. I'm not complaining just observing. I wish I could be out there weekly and be a regular with some bait clout. It was Wide open on the short barries off San Mateo rocks on a Scampi Coaster right before the rain hit. One skinny beelined for my swim step and almost got my toe..
Awesome Andy...yeah we all have to make do with the bait given. At least we have solid fishing!

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Rolled bait is better than no bait. The receivers can't keep up with the demand, so it may not be there fault. The bait needs to time to cure, but the fisherman want it now. Double-edged sword.

Try some sabikis with cat food chum. Dodos and YT love mackerel.

Upvote 0

dploc

Jul 14, 2007
dp
Name
chris
Boat
Amberjack
I keep seeing posts about ALL bait Rollin in 30 minutes. I can guarantee you your system is not running properly. I have buddy boated plenty of times and got same bait out DANA that the other boats said rolled. I have had multiple boats with different systems that just act different. It's hard to know what's wrong but if your bait is dying that quick then I bet you have another issue. I've gotten bait that was just unloaded and ran 30 miles and had minimal fatality Tell all your drunk buddies to stop putting there hands in there with sunblock on. And stop throwing th baits that flip out back in tank. Your the same guy that goes on a date and the girl got a droopy eye or breath stinks. eventually shits gonna go bad. Throw it out early

Upvote 0

castalot

Xstickman
Dec 24, 2007
HB
Name
T K
Boat
21.5 pursuit
I keep seeing posts about ALL bait Rollin in 30 minutes. I can guarantee you your system is not running properly. I have buddy boated plenty of times and got same bait out DANA that the other boats said rolled. I have had multiple boats with different systems that just act different. It's hard to know what's wrong but if your bait is dying that quick then I bet you have another issue. I've gotten bait that was just unloaded and ran 30 miles and had minimal fatality Tell all your drunk buddies to stop putting there hands in there with sunblock on. And stop throwing th baits that flip out back in tank. Your the same guy that goes on a date and the girl got a droopy eye or breath stinks. eventually shits gonna go bad. Throw it out early
Pal youre a real piece of work no drunk buddies and I have a hot wife..

Upvote 0

dploc

Jul 14, 2007
dp
Name
chris
Boat
Amberjack
Pal youre a real piece of work no drunk buddies and I have a hot wife..
Bait tank comment was a "general" response .not directed at you necessarily.
As far as the hot wife...
I call BS without pics. This is BD isn't it.

Upvote 0

Latest posts