Offshore Newport to 14 and Around

NoBalance

Jul 30, 2016
Orange County
Name
Nick
Boat
Can I Bum A Ride?
Took a buddy out on his boat today, not a great fishing boat, it's an italian cruiser but he has a bait tank on the step.

Got a 1/2 scoop of decent sardine and started for the 14 about 1000hrs. Started trolling 3 miles out and ran into some real good marks on the way. Boxed the area, tried bait both fly line and sinker. Tried the colt sniper and iron. Nada. We had SOLID red under us for a couple minutes from 75 to 25 feet.

Few more decent marks at the 14 but it was a parking lot. Didnt see anyone bent, one guy on a paddy out that way - same story.

Stopped on a good looking paddy 5 miles off Crystal Cove. More nothing. Back by 5.

We tried, there are fish in the area still. Good luck.

Only got the one photo of a school starting under us - like I said, it came solid red a couple times.

20210711_121030.jpg

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
Monrovia ca united states
Name
Glen Mitchell
Boat
Sea Fox 248 Commander
Took a buddy out on his boat today, not a great fishing boat, it's an italian cruiser but he has a bait tank on the step.

Got a 1/2 scoop of decent sardine and started for the 14 about 1000hrs. Started trolling 3 miles out and ran into some real good marks on the way. Boxed the area, tried bait both fly line and sinker. Tried the colt sniper and iron. Nada. We had SOLID red under us for a couple minutes from 75 to 25 feet.

Few more decent marks at the 14 but it was a parking lot. Didnt see anyone bent, one guy on a paddy out that way - same story.

Stopped on a good looking paddy 5 miles off Crystal Cove. More nothing. Back by 5.

We tried, there are fish in the area still. Good luck.

Only got the one photo of a school starting under us - like I said, it came solid red a couple times.

View attachment 1298132
Bait. Good spot for threshers, bigger ones than the Local beaches produce

Reactions: Zika

Kareem Korn

Muffin Monster
Feb 17, 2005
State of Confusion
Name
Tim
Boat
Longboard, 15' Calibogie ("Bogart")
Shows what I know - which the older I get, the more I realize, is nothing. Nice to be on the water regardless.
When in doubt drop a bait rig down.
Chum some catfood or cheap tuna. Getting the baitball going might attract nearby fish.
That's what I'd do anyway.

Maybe it was a ball of red crab.

Upvote 0