Newport Time of Year

Baxenamaxen

Sep 11, 2007
Bay Area
Name
Mike Young
Boat
Iconic 17ft Whaler Montauk
My Uncle just got hired as the Deputy Chief of the Newport fire department Bob Harvey is his name. Anyway some buddies and I want to trailer up to Newport. We are all experienced guys from the SF Bay Area. What is the best time of year to come for about a week. I would like to time it as best I can to get a shot at everything. Thanks in advance.

Redherring

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 5, 2012
Fall Creek OR
Name
John
Boat
23' Oly & 19' Maxxum
This week! Non selective Coho.Near shore & all depth Halibut & Tuna within 50 miles.Crab is also very good right now.Weather is the only problem the wind is making long runs & fishing unpleasant in trailer sized boats.Also do not forget rock fish & lings.

Baxenamaxen

Sep 11, 2007
Bay Area
Name
Mike Young
Boat
Thank you for the reply. We were thinking late August? How do you feel about that time frame?

Meanwhile

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 13, 2005
Warren, Oregon
www.meanwhilecharters.com
Name
Randy Kane
Boat
2007 Grady White Marlin, 30.5', w/twin 250's
Mid to late August generally has good albacore fishing. This year the wind has made many trips less than comfortable. As mentioned the bottom fishing and possible halibut seasons are good, but you will need to track seasonal dates for any summer all depth halibut days. Be sure to check on the local regulations, they can be confusing if you are fishing for multiple species, hooks, barbs and areas. There are updates through the year on depth restrictions that change based on perceived impacts on protected species.

If part of your team is a lawyer, that might help.

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White w/twin 250's.
Hail Meanwhile on 14 out of Garibaldi

Baxenamaxen

Sep 11, 2007
Bay Area
Name
Mike Young
Boat
The way me and my buddies vacation system works for our fire department we have to choose a shift off in November for the coming year. So if I take the 3rd or 4th week of August off you guys are saying that's my best bet? And yes good point we will absolutely study the regulations prior to coming up. We always do.

Baxenamaxen

Sep 11, 2007
Bay Area
Name
Mike Young
Boat
Still looking for any helpful info if you guys have anything to share. What about a facility to call home base. We would be parking a large travel trailer and setting up camp.

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
Late August would be the worst time to come to Newport. I keep and rv and boat in Newport all summer and usually head north to Astoria during that time frame.

Coho will be closed so you are stuck with chinook. Anyone can catch coho but chinook take local knowledge and even with that it's not a numbers fishery.

Nearshore halibut may or may not be open. All depth halibut usually closed, but folks will say the last two years that wasn't true.

That leaves you with very weather dependent tuna, good bottom fishing and generally great crabbing.

If you plan your trip to coincide with the first full weekend of August you will likely have- dumb tuna on the troll, coho and chinook, all depth halibut, bottom fish and crab.

Coming around the 4th of July you risk being early with tuna but other species mentioned should be in play.

Of course regs change frequently and don't get set until it's to late for folks to adjust reservations and vacation plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk