Newport Mako 8-8

jcoats01

Jun 1, 2012
Corona/CA/Riverside
Name
Jason
Boat
RoyJohn
We bought a 22’ Seafox WA 3 months back and have been taking advantage of it during COVID, it’s been great for quality family time. My wife and I have three kids, 6,5,2. They were a little skeptical of the ocean and swells at first but now enjoy it. We normally fish Coastal, out of Dana Point for bottom fish, the 150 and always keep an eye out for dolphins!

My Son Owen has been asking if we could catch a shark, so I researched the recommended lures (Nomad DTX 140)and went to purchase them, they only had larger ones so I picked them up, along with some Rapalas. Our first shark hunting trip was supposed to be 8-9 but an unexpected birthday popped up so we headed out of Newport Harbor for a short afternoon trip on 8-8. We launched around 3:30 pm and planned to head to Huntington area due to some local Thresher shark reports. When we got to the mouth of the harbor we headed north but faced washing machine conditions, so we only made it to around Newport Pier area-trolling 4 poles around 5 mph. Saw all the Catalina cattle boats making their way back to Daveys Locker and Newport Landing from Catalina. After taking a beating fir Swahili we decided to head with the swells and do a 180 and head towards Laguna area. Around the Wedge the one small Rapalas was swimming weird so I wound it in thinking we picked up kelp, it ended up having a small Bonita on it. Around Corona Del Mar area all the lines started to get tangled I started winding each rod in to discover one going sideways, we hooked a juvenile Mako. Everyone was so excited to see it up close, after a few pics we had a successful release by pulling the hook out with the gaff.

We then heading back to the dock and washed the boat around 9:30 pm.

My questions are about how old was this MaKo and what size is recommended in harvesting Makos and Threshers? I won’t be bringing any sharks on board with the kids on the boat.

Thanks and tight lines!

Jason

E468753E-6520-44D8-BF72-23C5700EF1CB.png

6C19C3CC-9F34-473B-B92A-9D6B9BB9BF32.png

436E9005-4B95-41FB-BF9B-9D20576CD524.png

10D87384-859C-4FE9-8399-437BF259EA61.png

C996A246-4193-40EE-A840-14468483153B.png

7C518669-B0FE-431C-9770-3F88330A25D9.png

C84D26B5-BA17-422B-BBF2-CBC41111C540.png

C801A2AF-1202-41FD-9171-68AD61BD5BB7.png

DAB2903F-BBA4-4F4A-B3CD-D64F7097B045.png

7F48F3CF-A73C-4040-B72D-5CD31A4F4B5B.png

C9C4E19E-B0CC-47FF-B9CB-C4377B7BEC8E.png

4CE725EC-F9FA-484D-938C-116F506045D3.png

08527EEB-FF73-4EE4-B7DE-DA79CA44B851.png

Hollis Harris

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 6, 2017
Riverside, ca
Name
Randy
Boat
Sea hunt
Fun report, I got raked trying to let a juvenile mako go be careful, my guess is the shark is maybe 2. Be safe out there.

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
May 27, 2015
SD
Name
Donnie D
Boat
FINBOMB
You sir...look like you have life figured out! well done and looks like amazing day on the agua. And you are about to hear MANY different takes on taking sharks but I think it has to be 6 feet to harvest. Could be off by a foot or 2 either way!

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Shark had a tag on it if ypu look closer ` good job on the release , sharks ate scase these days its always good to let them go

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
Sep 16, 2019
United States
Name
Bud
Boat
Formula 233
Nice job with the kids!
As someone who also fishes with a crew of fuzzy cheeked deckhands, maybe I can offer you some pointers about successfully mixing sharks and kids and making sure nobody gets bit.
Here’s how we do it...
Once your shark is within range, get a flying gaff into the head, your gaff rope should be tied off to a heavy duty cleat on the gunnel with just enough slack to reach the fish. Once you get a solid gaff set, haul him in tight on the gaff rope and give your best MLB slugger impersonation with a bat to the head.
Next, get a tail rope on him and thoroughly drive a knife thorough the gills to bleed him out. Slack off on the flying gaff rope and drag him backwards for a good bit until completely bled out and thoroughly dead. Keep the boat in gear and moving forward at all times, it’ll help with controlling direction when he goes crazy. Very, very important with makos.
Send the kids up into the cuddy when you pull it aboard and using the flying gaff that’s already in its head, rope its head to its tail, bending the shark in a U shape. This’ll rob it of any ability to raise hell in the cockpit if it decides to come back to life.
Once it’s well and truly hogtied, point the dangerous end into a cockpit corner and wedge it there. At this point, it’s safe to let the crew out of the cuddy and celebrate.
As the only shark with a urinary tract, mako are excellent eating. No urea flavor to the meat.
Good luck to you, hope you get a keeper next time!

dudeman

Apr 5, 2011
san diego
Name
jason
Boat
Fish Taco
Generally speaking , I don't think any fish should be taken before 1 or 2 breading seasons. Having said that, I don't know when that is for mako's. I'd guess 4 to 6' long. I took one maybe 3.5' annd 30lbs once, I won't do it again. I was young with blood lust, but it was pretty tasty. If you get knocked down on the troll and don't hook it, put down a flylined mackeckel and watch the ferocity of a mako. It would suck to be a mackeral. But it's pretty cool to watch.

Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
We had a Mako follow us one time from the 181 all the way to the A bank, and at 20+ knots at that. He was interested in the teaser we were high speed trolling, I’m 99% sure he hit it a few times cause the cable would go slack then snap back hard. How’d we know it was following us? Picture the scene from Jaws with the dorsal just above the water “you’re gonna need a bigger boat.”
Makos are mean buggers, fun to play with, but mean.

splashy77

Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
Nice job with the kids!
As someone who also fishes with a crew of fuzzy cheeked deckhands, maybe I can offer you some pointers about successfully mixing sharks and kids and making sure nobody gets bit.
Here’s how we do it...
Once your shark is within range, get a flying gaff into the head, your gaff rope should be tied off to a heavy duty cleat on the gunnel with just enough slack to reach the fish. Once you get a solid gaff set, haul him in tight on the gaff rope and give your best MLB slugger impersonation with a bat to the head.
Next, get a tail rope on him and thoroughly drive a knife thorough the gills to bleed him out. Slack off on the flying gaff rope and drag him backwards for a good bit until completely bled out and thoroughly dead. Keep the boat in gear and moving forward at all times, it’ll help with controlling direction when he goes crazy. Very, very important with makos.
Send the kids up into the cuddy when you pull it aboard and using the flying gaff that’s already in its head, rope its head to its tail, bending the shark in a U shape. This’ll rob it of any ability to raise hell in the cockpit if it decides to come back to life.
Once it’s well and truly hogtied, point the dangerous end into a cockpit corner and wedge it there. At this point, it’s safe to let the crew out of the cuddy and celebrate.
As the only shark with a urinary tract, mako are excellent eating. No urea flavor to the meat.
Good luck to you, hope you get a keeper next time!
What he said!

Sea Pro Pete

Nov 20, 2011
north county
Name
Pedro Adobe
Boat
Caught a few 4-6 footers. Got them tired and up to the boat.Took my time and gaffed them in the nose, in front of the mouth. They go limp at that point, Hold head out of water and cut back of neck through spine. While one person holds gaff other guy guts him, hose out cavity, bring on board and fill cavity with ice.Start at the tail and slice body like a loaf of bread. Gaff anywhere but nose and they will go ape shit on you.Make no mistake, he is still alive at that point,and will follow you with his big black eyes for awhile and open his mouth.but he can't move his body to thrash around on deck.They are awesome creatures.Be careful!

Reactions: mandoman68

sdjfish

Deck Ape
Mar 26, 2003
escondido
Visit site
Name
steve
Boat
2320 Parker, Tracker
Lots of fish to eat besides baby Mako. I killed way too many back in the day to pay fuel bills and fill freezers but will never kill another.