Robdog1

Well known member
Oct 23, 2018
Newport Beach
Name
Robert
Boat
Luhrs 32 sport, Boston Whaler 170 Montauk
Went out last night locally, got out about 6:30 and fished mostly the Newport jetties and over through crystal cove/CDM. Interestingly enough, we didn’t get even a crab in the CDM area, but yet we got 3 legals and 9 or so shorts on the inside of the jetty. One was decent size too, probably about an inch to 1-1/4” over legal which is huge for Newport only boat out there besides a little Grady White, beautiful flat night, back to the dock by 9 and home by 10.

Upvote 0

Sushiboy

Jan 1, 2007
Redlands
Name
Travis
Boat
21' Wellcraft CC
Nice!
Newport is definitely slow for bugs.I would call that a good night for sure.I have got legals on the wedge side in my kayak years ago

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Buddie of mine hoops off a yak there and does pretty good considering.

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Buddie of mine hoops off a yak there and does pretty good considering

how many nets does he carry? 5, or fewer? I should use the yak I have more often, it’s a heck of a lot cheaper and easier than getting the boat out, and you can get in tighter than the boat.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    Went out last night locally, got out about 6:30 and fished mostly the Newport jetties and over through crystal cove/CDM. Interestingly enough, we didn’t get even a crab in the CDM area, but yet we got 3 legals and 9 or so shorts on the inside of the jetty. One was decent size too, probably about an inch to 1-1/4” over legal which is huge for Newport only boat out there besides a little Grady White, beautiful flat night, back to the dock by 9 and home by 10.

I've never had any luck hooping in Newport, ever, the same with Oceanside. I've learned while striking out in these 2 spots that all lobster DO NOT reside on the bottom there, kind of like Dana Point and the Federal Breakwater. Kayaks and small aluminum boats do work well in these places, I agree wholeheartedly. Congratulations on the 3 legals you did manage!

Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    I've never had any luck hooping in Newport, ever, the same with Oceanside. I've learned while striking out in these 2 spots that all lobster DO NOT reside on the bottom there, kind of like Dana Point and the Federal Breakwater. Kayaks and small aluminum boats do work well in these places, I agree wholeheartedly. Congratulations on the 3 legals you did manage!

yeah it’s not wonderful by any means. I prefer Catalina and LB. but, any time I’m out is good, even if we don’t get anything spectacular besides the nurse shark from opening night, that was a surprise for all of us, and the best catch we’ve had in Newport to date!

Reactions: pukahd
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    The yuppies either killed or spoiled everything in Newport, I don't go past the river jetties neither by land or sea. HB/ Newport surfer rivalry remains still since the 70s.... Buncha BARNEYS!!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Robdog1

Well known member
    Oct 23, 2018
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    The yuppies either killed or spoiled everything in Newport, I don't go past the river jetties neither by land or sea. HB/ Newport surfer rivalry remains still since the 70s.... Buncha BARNEYS!!
    While I don’t disagree with you, I’m leaning toward Newport as the better Harbor. I live in Costa Mesa but the boats kept in Newport, so I’m caught in the middle

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    While I don’t disagree with you, I’m leaning toward Newport as the better Harbor. I live in Costa Mesa but the boats kept in Newport, so I’m caught in the middle
    I like to call Long Beach the "blue collar harbor", Closer to a lot more spots and the slips are Damn near half the price

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    yeah it’s not wonderful by any means. I prefer Catalina and LB. but, any time I’m out is good, even if we don’t get anything spectacular besides the nurse shark from opening night, that was a surprise for all of us, and the best catch we’ve had in Newport to date!
    I will assume your nurse shark was a horn shark as we do not get nurses here. There are lobsters in newport. You just have to work harder to get them as you have to compete with all the commercials.

Upvote 0

Latest posts