Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
I'm a Northern Calif ocean fisher that is coming down to fish Catalina Island for the first time with my boat. It looks like I would launch at Newport Beach launch ramp so here's my questions. How's leaving my truck and boat trailer there for about 2 days at a time? With google maps it looks like a lot of boats on trailers are stored there in the parking lot. Any problems or tips with my plan? Thanks in advance. P.S. I have 1,000 of hours in the salt out of Ft. Bragg, Ca so I'm not new to the game.

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Newport parking is incredibly safe but the drive from the launch ramp to the harbor entrance is about 40 mins. If that matters to you, there’s some other options that are a bit shorter. But if safety of your truck and trailer is the most important, it doesn’t get safer than Newport

Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
Newport parking is incredibly safe but the drive from the launch ramp to the harbor entrance is about 40 mins. If that matters to you, there’s some other options that are a bit shorter. But if safety of your truck and trailer is the most important, it doesn’t get safer than Newport
Thanks for that have you used Davies? Shorter drive out of harbor is a plus.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Newport is nice, but like RodRage said, Davies is closer and a quick ride to the bait receiver and out of the harbor. The water at the wash down rack is unlimited, while Newport takes quarters. Newport has shallow spots between the PCH bridge and the ramp, so make sure you stay between the buoys if you launch there. I use Davies often and don’t have any safety concerns leaving my truck there. I’d recommend using Davies

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I’ve launched from Davies plenty of times and seen some pretty big boats come in and out too. The homeless are a constant, but other than making a mess of the restroom, they’re not an issue.

My biggest gripe about Davies is there’s no ramp dock, which makes it a bitch if you’re launching solo. I’ve done it, but it sucks.

hbouldin1216

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 10, 2012
Lodi, CA
Name
Henry Bouldin
Boat
14 Gregor - Tinacious
x2 for Sunset Aquatic. Smaller lot, but the sheriffs have an office in the parking lot and their boats are docked next to the ramp. Pops you out right next to the Davies exit and can hit the bait barge on your way to the island

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
I’ve launched from Davies plenty of times and seen some pretty big boats come in and out too. The homeless are a constant, but other than making a mess of the restroom, they’re not an issue.

My biggest gripe about Davies is there’s no ramp dock, which makes it a bitch if you’re launching solo. I’ve done it, but it sucks.
The best thing about Davies is that there is not a Ramp Dock. You don't have the dock hoarders blocking the ramp with unattended vessels or refusing to move along in the loading/launching area especially on weekends. 8-)

Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
x2 for Sunset Aquatic. Smaller lot, but the sheriffs have an office in the parking lot and their boats are docked next to the ramp. Pops you out right next to the Davies exit and can hit the bait barge on your way to the island
Just looked it up and I like the idea of the Sheriff's office there looks like a great site. Thanks to all you guys giving me info as trying a new spot to launch being a stranger to the area is hard to know were to go.

Reel 007

Jun 12, 2006
Glendora Ca
Name
Leon
Boat
28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
Just checked it out and looks tight i'll be using it unless there's better suggestions. Thanks again.
without knowing what size boat you plan on launching this may not be relevant.
I launch a 28'er with 10' beam towed by a CC dually long bed, the entrance to Davis parking lot is a b***h, I have to get my passenger side front wheels off the pavement so the back of the trailer/boat will clear the post they have sitting there on the driver's side.

Jan 3, 2017
COSTA MESA
Name
Hank
Boat
Small raft
if you are buying bait - launch from Sunset aquaitic and stop at Naco's --- if you arent buying bait - launch from newport back bay - a little longer ride out of the harbor - your truck and trailer will be safe at either ramp

Crowman

Almost A Member
Mar 3, 2017
Northern California
Name
Crowman
Boat
YES
without knowing what size boat you plan on launching this may not be relevant.
I launch a 28'er with 10' beam towed by a CC dually long bed, the entrance to Davis parking lot is a b***h, I have to get my passenger side front wheels off the pavement so the back of the trailer/boat will clear the post they have sitting there on the driver's side.
On further info looks like I will launch out of Sunset Launch as it's closer to the jaws and it doesn't hurt that the Sheriff has their patrol boat berthed there. Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: FishingFiend

FishingFiend

Almost A Member
Nov 5, 2003
SoCal
Name
FishingFiend
Boat
Cayman 226
My experience over the past couple of years. Some of the worst launch ramp etiquette I've experienced IMO is at Newport, the home of the rookie boater. Last season there was a security guard at the ramp to prevent fights. Add parking for trucks with trailers is terrible. On the right day, it's an easier run to SCI and closer to the Pipe. However, the only true benefit for launching there is the eye candy during the warmer months. If you're going to launch from Newport, make sure to launch early and come back late to avoid the madness.

Reactions: nefarious235