Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Hey guys. I'm planning a trip down here to fish the Master Angler Billfish Tournament. It'll be my first time targeting Billfish and my first time boating in California waters. Is there anyone here that is familiar with that area that can give me the scoop? Where can I moor, launch and where are the good tackle shops. I've never fished for Marlin so I have no idea what I'm doing but I'm gonna give it a whirl!!

Any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tight lines!!

Paul Ward

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Bring good luck with you! Go see john at JDS big game tackle on balboa island

acefuture

Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
18 Klamath "Blue Can"
In terms of launching, there's only one public launch in Newport at the Dunes RV and Boat Launch. It's $20 per day for summertime. Mooring i'm not exactly sure about, might be worth it to call the harbor master.

In terms of tackle shops. There's a couple in the area that have a wealth of knowledge. Angler's Center is where I do most of my shopping, there's as mentioned JDS on Balboa, Westmarine Newport has a decent selection, or Ketcham tackle.

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
Newport dunes has guest docks, there is also a public mooring field in the middle of the harbor outlined by yellow bouys in which you can anchor overnight for a few days if youre staying on your boat. Id double check what the rules are though.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Thanks guys. I'll call the dunes in a bit.

I wish I could just stay on my boat but it's just a 15 footer. Not a lot of room and no hard top haha.

And thanks for the tips on tackle.

Andre

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
Thanks guys. I'll call the dunes in a bit.

I wish I could just stay on my boat but it's just a 15 footer. Not a lot of room and no hard top haha.

And thanks for the tips on tackle.

Andre
You should be able to just unhook it and leave it in the dunes parking lot overnight then.

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Once you are behind the gate you should be good. Pay once.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
So I called them. They have guest slips but they are $65/night!!! Holy smokes. Is this normal for the area? Usually up here it's like $1/foot per night. I don't know how I'm gonna afford $200 in slip fees.

Anyone have any suggestions for better options?

Thanks.

antifret

Jul 30, 2015
Irvine
Name
Jojo
Boat
Advanced Elements Kayak
So I called them. They have guest slips but they are $65/night!!! Holy smokes. Is this normal for the area? Usually up here it's like $1/foot per night. I don't know how I'm gonna afford $200 in slip fees.

Thanks.
Heard that place is the most expensive campground in the country. Not surprised their guest slips are outrageous. Guess their boat launch is reasonably priced though. Think imma skip it this weekend. Probably some lame cover band concert going on and gonna be more of a zoo than usual. Could try Sunset Marina in Huntington Harbor.

Blackfish

Sep 20, 2005
Monroeville
Name
Boat
toy
So I called them. They have guest slips but they are $65/night!!!

Thanks.
Welcome to Newport Beach.

Dana Point is way better priced on guest slips, and a much smaller and easier harbor to boat out of. Not sure if you will want to take any live bait, but the bait is right at the mouth of the harbor and five minutes from the open ocean. Or you can make some macs at the barber poles for spot fishing.

I know its not where the captains meeting is being held, and the afterparty...but its just a shot car ride up PCH. You do your kick off meetings via car, and launch out of Dana Point...which will be a better area to launch from, as it will be more of a straight shot to the typical Marlin areas.

Hogans Tackle is also just a mile from the harbor.

To park your car and trailer in the Dana Point lot, its $20 per night. YOu could probably disconnect your trailer, and get in and out priveledges, but it would have to be during business hours. Or you would have to pay $20 each time you came back.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Thanks guys. Someone already mentioned sunset to me and I called them. They are $1/foot per night. With a $25 minimum. So that's a lot easier to swallow. Sucks that I have to pay for 10 feet im not using though. They have pretty good amenities like a shower house and the like. Which is really nice when you're sleeping in your truck. So I think I'm gonna go that route. It's a little farther from Balboa but I don't think it's a crazy long way.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
You are going to fish for marlin for the very first time from your fifteen foot boat? And sleeping in your truck, I expect that you are going out alone. Ah, the spirit of adventure . . .

Please give some thought to what happens after you hook one. The last part of the fight can be fraught with peril even if you have a crewman. About the time that you think that you have it whipped and bring it alongside for a release, I have seen them go instantly skyrocket like a Polaris missile, and if you aren't speared you have to worry about where it comes back down, like inside your boat. It happens every year, somewhere.

Using a sabiki rig to make live mackerel gives you a good bait, and walking it slowly fifty yards behind the boat is as good of a tactic as any for fishing from a fifteen foot boat. Just remember that God is not only generous, He has a great sense of humor, so be careful what you ask for. . .

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
You are going to fish for marlin for the very first time from your fifteen foot boat? And sleeping in your truck, I expect that you are going out alone. Ah, the spirit of adventure . . .

Please give some thought to what happens after you hook one. The last part of the fight can be fraught with peril even if you have a crewman. About the time that you think that you have it whipped and bring it alongside for a release, I have seen them go instantly skyrocket like a Polaris missile, and if you aren't speared you have to worry about where it comes back down, like inside your boat. It happens every year, somewhere.

Using a sabiki rig to make live mackerel gives you a good bait, and walking it slowly fifty yards behind the boat is as good of a tactic as any for fishing from a fifteen foot boat. Just remember that God is not only generous, He has a great sense of humor, so be careful what you ask for. . .

I do like a good adventure.

But seriously thanks for the insight. I have put a lot of thought into it actually. And I have plans for most situations but I'm sure it won't work out exactly how I envisioned no matter what. So I'm just gonna take it slow and be careful and see what happens.

Reactions: surfgoose