Newport Bay - Shark, Round Stingray, and Halibut

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Poge Mahone, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Poge Mahone

Poge Mahone Newbie

Name:
    Nathaniel Shearer
    Boat:
    SINK Sierra 10
    Normally I kayak fish in Newport Harbor and will catch bass in a few areas. But, on Saturday, two of my buddies decided they wanted to see what it was all about.

We rented a skiff from Davey's locker and got some bait from the receiver. I asked for a few dines in the mix and they were nice enough to oblige. Most of the anchovies were just 2 eyes and a wiggle but got a few worthwhile. The dines were excellent and I wish I was heading offshore this weekend with them but decided to have some fun with my buds.

Low tide was around 7:30 and we setup shop at the west boats just south of Davey's locker and roamed around there for about an hour and didn't get anything. We ended up heading to my favorite bass spot on the north edge near the bridge. Free lining wasn't working so I rigged up the guys with a sinker and chovies and they were hooked up within minutes.

We caught about 10 round stingrays (most were just little guys, and 1 being a blast), an almost legal halibut, and at least 5 small sand sharks. We caught the halibut on a sardine as well as 1 of the sharks. I didn't think we were going to be lucky with the tide where it was but fishing on the bottom at that time was definitely the right call.

A few kayak fisherman were nearby as we were about to head in so I offered up the live bait we had, they hooked on a couple and I threw a few in a small cooler for them that will give them a few minutes at least.

A great day of light tackle fishing and bringing some new guys out who have never fished before was awesome. They are already asking when we can go again!

If you are out fishing in Newport Harbor and see me in the Sierra (only sit in kayak that Malibu Kayaks make), stop and say hi!

WP_20140802_019.jpg WP_20140802_004.jpg WP_20140802_016.jpg
    This was the closest I could get my buddy to the shark!

2. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    Tres amigos trifecta!

3. jscrib

jscrib Whale Cock

Name:
    j
    Boat:
    VS
    Now that's a great day fishing with some good friends. Thanks for the report and hope you get them out again soon. :hali_olutta:

J

4. Chuck T

Chuck T Newbie

Name:
    Chuck
    Boat:
    Panga
    Kudos to you and buddies. Nothing better than seeing the look on your buddies face when they catch a fish. It's good clean fun and is why we need to fight to keep our shoreline open for fishing. Great Job!!

5. Johnlgarrison

Johnlgarrison The ultimate goal is memories not dreams.

Name:
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Way to go Nate, great report.

6. lowprofile

lowprofile Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Sold it
    cool. btw, that's a butterfly ray.