JFurst

West coast googan
Jul 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Josh Furstenberg
Boat
n/a
Fished the canyon and pipe yesterday late morning to the mid afternoon. Couldn’t find anything at pipe (feel a bit lost looking in that area to be honest). So we spent most of our time drifting the canyon in between the piers 250-130 ft deep with the current pushing us inshore to shallower water. Wide open on Sand dabs in every depth and would get a really good hit on the sculpin between 140-180 ft on every drift. Ended the day with 4 legal sculps (20+ shorts), more sand dabs released than I could count, a few Mac attacks, and one short sand bass. Really like to eat sculpin so was pretty pleased.
I plan to go back to pipe and see if I can make something happen in that area, I’ve heard good things I think I just need to put some time in. Also thinking of going a bit further into the canyon next time for a shot at reds and hopefully more rockfish. Super fun day overall and beautiful conditions. Tight lines boys.

85C5B0AD-FF5A-4A16-87F6-00BEC5408ADE.jpeg

Tom123

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom Furukawa
Boat
None
Sculpin Sashimi. Yum.

Ratio on legals/shorts seems about right.

Reactions: JFurst

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
Love me some sculpin!

Oldtimer2

Jul 29, 2020
Iowa City Iowa
Name
Rob Malone
Boat
don't got no boat
Fished the canyon and pipe yesterday late morning to the mid afternoon. Couldn’t find anything at pipe (feel a bit lost looking in that area to be honest). So we spent most of our time drifting the canyon in between the piers 250-130 ft deep with the current pushing us inshore to shallower water. Wide open on Sand dabs in every depth and would get a really good hit on the sculpin between 140-180 ft on every drift. Ended the day with 4 legal sculps (20+ shorts), more sand dabs released than I could count, a few Mac attacks, and one short sand bass.
JFurst, nice report. Congrats on your good luck. Skulpin is good eaing.
Two questions:

1] What were you using at the pipe? Sardines? Swim baits? What?

2] You DID keep some sand dabs, didn't you? They are a semipain to clean, but they sure as heck taste great. (You say you released them all.)

JFurst

West coast googan
Jul 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Josh Furstenberg
Boat
n/a
Two questions:

2] You DID keep some sand dabs, didn't you? They are a semipain to clean, but they sure as heck taste great. (You say you released them all.)
1) Tried a few things at pipe - dropper loop with squid, fly lined some small mackeral (bait dock is closed so no live sardines, and tossed some lead heads with 3-4 inch plastics on them. Had a few marks in the shallow area near old pipe but no takers.

2) I did keep two of the bigger sand dabs, going to cook them up tonight with the sculpin. Basically just cut their heads/fins off and took out the guts - not sure how else to clean those boney bastards!

Reefmo

Nov 28, 2016
North OC
Name
Matt Skogmo
Boat
Trout Sniffer - heavily customized 18.5 tracker targa
1) Tried a few things at pipe - dropper loop with squid, fly lined some small mackeral (bait dock is closed so no live sardines, and tossed some lead heads with 3-4 inch plastics on them. Had a few marks in the shallow area near old pipe but no takers.

2) I did keep two of the bigger sand dabs, going to cook them up tonight with the sculpin. Basically just cut their heads/fins off and took out the guts - not sure how else to clean those boney bastards!
I clean em like a bluegill... head, guts, scale em. Cook them like bluegill too... deep fried with cornmeal.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
Nice. It seems like there is a lot less sculpins caught this year than last year.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
socal
Name
Larry
Boat
23ft parker, reel bad
Nice. It seems like there is a lot less sculpins caught this year than last year.
They are going the sandbass route....no bass target sculpin...no sculpin target sand dabs...no dabs...target mackeral….we are almost there...

• Haha
Reactions: pacificscout

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS

If you are specifically targeting sculpin run a double dropper loop with 2 red or white curly tailed grubs with lead heads and put a strip of squid on them. Drop to the bottom and wait for a bite! They WILL bite.

acefuture

Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
18 Klamath "Blue Can"
The pipe is kind of odd to figure out the first couple times but once you get it, it makes sense. This time of year you can easily find it by the traps set up along the drop off. Keep an eye on your FF and parallel the beach. As soon as you see it drop off (most of it is 15 - 20ft drop) Then turn either out to sea, or into the beach. It runs perpendicular to the beach and slowly turns south as it goes out. Fish the drop, you will see fish congregated along the drop off in various spots on your sonar. Swim baits, chunked baits, live bait, squid, all bass gear has worked

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
Gwendolyn
Two questions:

Dabs are easy to clean. Use scissors to cut the fins off, head and gut line. Eat them like ribs and never get a bone. Minced garlic mixed with corn meal, bread them and pan fry.

JFurst

West coast googan
Jul 9, 2020
Orange County
Name
Josh Furstenberg
Boat
n/a
If you are specifically targeting sculpin run a double dropper loop with 2 red or white curly tailed grubs with lead heads and put a strip of squid on them. Drop to the bottom and wait for a bite! They WILL bite.
I will have to try the lead head grubs. We were fishing double dropper loop with squid strips on size 1 hooks and they were hammering it, just had to be in 140-180ft of water which we would drift over pretty quickly with the current pushing us inshore - lots of setting back up running back out to deeper water and drifting back in. I bet the canyon would be a blast on a day with good uphill or downhill current.

The pipe is kind of odd to figure out the first couple times but once you get it, it makes sense. This time of year you can easily find it by the traps set up along the drop off. Keep an eye on your FF and parallel the beach. As soon as you see it drop off (most of it is 15 - 20ft drop) Then turn either out to sea, or into the beach. It runs perpendicular to the beach and slowly turns south as it goes out. Fish the drop, you will see fish congregated along the drop off in various spots on your sonar. Swim baits, chunked baits, live bait, squid, all bass gear has worked
Thanks for the tips. I did at first setup near the traps and that was the only spot I could mark fish. I can see the pipe on my Simrad chart plotter, but when I was looking around I would run up and down the pipe (perpendicular to the beach) rather than parallel. We were being pushed inshore and slightly uphill so felt like I kind of ended up in no-mans-land.

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
I will have to try the lead head grubs. We were fishing double dropper loop with squid strips on size 1 hooks and they were hammering it, just had to be in 140-180ft of water which we would drift over pretty quickly with the current pushing us inshore - lots of setting back up running back out to deeper water and drifting back in. I bet the canyon would be a blast on a day with good uphill or downhill current.
Looks like it's time to get one of those GPS trolling motors to keep you on the spot.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Looks like a relaxing day on the water.
If your fishing for the sculpin and want to keep the dabs off your hook, just use the lead heads with plastic- no squid. The dabs will stay off your hook and the sculpins will be on it.
Did I say a red lead head and a root beer grub? Yeah, that seems to work for me if I target the sculpin

Reactions: pacificscout