Feb 26, 2011
Van Nuys, Ca USA
bobsandsfishingtackle.com
Name
Jamie
Boat
#1 Tackle Shop
Good morning all,

The secret is out.. The United Composites GP 1000 "The 10E" (In blanks only at this time) is getting ready to hit the shelves.. I was and am so fortunate as to have gone down to the factory a bit ago, bringing Tito's Taco's and Burritos to the wonderful folks who build these U.C. products as a way to say Thank You for all they do. I happened to be going on our annual Gallagher/Excel 10 Day charter a few weeks later while Randy happened to have a production, prototype blank that needed to be wrapped and fished.. So, the tacos turned into a 10E. Right place, Right Time, Right Tacos and Burritos along with a ton of extra Red and Green Titos sauces and chips. Here is my review after fishing the 10E and the 9E exclusively for 3 - 4 of the 10 days. Mostly I fished the 10E on various surface iron as I used the 9E with a JRI 6 drop jig for more mid and bottom work and my custom spinner version of the 9E for bigger Poppers and other surface stuff along with bombs to the scarce Wahoo.

SHORT VERSION OF THE REVIEW: GET ON OUR WAIT LIST ASAP if you are considering a 10 footer. See instruction below to get on the list.

Without getting into more minute detail, consider the 10E a 1 foot longer version of the 9E/Reaper with most if not all of the added length in the butt section.. However, this is where the comparison stops.. The added powerful and larger diameter butt section allows the angler to feel even more load thru the rod with the same energy expelled due to the extended leverages being exerted..

Though the 9E is beyond amazing in it's ease of loading and ease of use the U.C. 10E takes it a step further though in a longer and more powerful package.. The 10E will feel in the hands, nothing like the 9E. It took me a few casts to get used to the added length and butt section as I have not thrown a 10 foot conventional in many years, however, by the 4th cast I knew, like the 9E/reaper that I tested in early 2020, this 10 foot version is something VERY, VERY SPECIAL.

The feel of the 10E, matched with my favorite Shimano Tranx 500 casting and drop jig reel, is Awesome.. I loved the lightest in class feel of this amazing rod.. The very first thing I noticed about this blank and then the finished rod was just how light it feels. Even though the diameter increases at the extended butt section, I felt that my medium/large sized hand (Which is probably average for most anglers) fit the reel and rod better than any 10 foot rod capable of throwing full size irons and poppers I have ever held.. I tested out various surface items and found, similar to the 9E, the sweet spot for me is around 2.6 ounces and above.. However, the added length does allow the 10E to bend deeper into the rod than the 9E with the same amount of angler energy. I did not throw bombs on this but I have little doubt that lobbing a bomb on the 10E will not be a problem. However, few folks are going to use a 10 foot rod for the application. But I will should we have better Wahoo conditions.

Unlike many old school jig slingers, I love having a fuji reel seat and ultra thin hypalon style grips on all of my rods. Since Robbie was building this for me as a custom, as he does all of my rods, I laid out the seat where I felt it best for balance as well as cast-ability.. I have never followed the principle of using the elbow to palm theory for any of my casting rods rather I prefer my reels located further up the rod, from the butt, to get what I feel is the proper hand positions for a push-pull, pendular type casting style coordinated with the weight of the butt to help prevent over-cast. In the hand, the finished rod will be weight forward but as I will note later in this review, the added butt weight will off set that tip forward situation, in actual casting situation, better than any 10 foot rod I have handled previously.

I define over-cast as the tip trying to drive down further toward the water leading to added slack in the arc cast line as I want my tip to follow the path of the lure rather than have the tip be in front or downward from the lure thru the cast. I want to be in charge of how the tip reacts rather than having an overweighted tip, not properly balanced by the butt section weight, dictating the issue. One never wants to have to fight the momentum of an improperly laid out or balanced rod.

I tend to use a more up right, 12:30 to 1 o'clock starting point to get the jig swinging towards and away from my bod and roughly 10 o'clock stopping locations for my casts thus having a more tip forward balance, combined with the heavier butt section allowed my body to not have to fight the tip from wanting to come down .. Rather, it was effortless for me to have the tip of the rod track the lure with the tip of my rod throughout the arc. No doubt, this concept may need a bit more explanation in the future but for me the way I set this up the reel seat location was perfect.. Additionally, I found that a longer drop section from the tip to the lure allowed for more plastic leader length between the jig and the connection to spectra which is always on the jig side of the tip.. I feel this added plastic length of line gave me an even better presentation of the jig to the fish as less spectra appears close to the jig.

As I noted in my review of the prototype production 9E in early 2020, this rod, for me, is best when not swinging for the fences while casting. Rather, using proper upper body technique, parabolic cast, shoulders, back and elbows properly located, combined with a small amount of lower body weight transfer from back to front, this long rod almost casts itself with a more laid back approach to casting. This is not to say those who want to drive the heck out of their casts will not love it rather, for that majority of us mere mortals, this rod may be best employed in a somewhat slowed down casting manner. Be aware, for those who like to start their cast between 9 and 10 o'clock behind you (9 being parallel to the deck) , this is a 10 foot rod that will put more pressure on various parts of your body and need more room to cast than starting at higher tip locations as I noted in the above paragraph.. What ever casting style is best for you will work but this is just something to think about. .. or not. I would state, however, this is not a stick for beginners. Strong intermediates to the best casters will get the most out of this stick. No right or wrong techniques if they work for you, however, if your body is hurting when casting or fighting fish, you might want to try different methods of each.

As I noted, I fished this rod for 3 - 4 of the 10 days of the trip hooking and landing 3 or 4 dozen (I lost count) mixed sizes of Yellowtail and Yellowfin Tuna to around 40 plus pounds. Since I only use artificial lures many of those fish were in the bigger class ranges. The smaller fish just came to boat in a few seconds on this rig especially with the high speed Tranx. I found the JRI DW1, JRI-3 and JRI 4 and Tady 4/0 Lite, using 40 thru 60 pound line, with appropriate drag settings for each line gauge worked equally great in both the casting and the fighting end of the equation... Since I have always employed my flat rod technique, pointing at the fish when they are away from the boat, the length of the rod is almost irrelevant on how it affects my body. I had figured out this technique starting at the age of 6, and now, some 60 years later, being able to use the rail when the fish is up and down, even when I cranked my Tranx 500 drags to full, on 60 pound test, the 10E handled the fish fighting magnificently. This really is a rare rod that will fish the entire manufacturers noted range of 30 - 60 pound beautifully at both ends of the line test ratings. Those noted bigger sized fish had little chance once that bigger butt of the 10E found it's home on the rail.. The Tranx 500 gets well over 20 pounds of drag yet the 10E was right at home, putting massive pressure against the fish as it bent into that powerful butt section on 60 pound test.. Of course, proper rail technique will come into play as it does for most any rod. 3 or 4 days of fishing these long rods, along with some popper work, with no pain or getting tired was amazing and a testament to the design and functionality of these 10E rods.

Like the Amazing 9E, that continues to sell in record numbers, this incredible 10E will be at home fishing top water lures and will fish bait and drop jigs beautifully. For those who love 10 foot rods or are curious to see what a 10 footer feels or performs like, the United Composites GP 1000 "The 10 E" may just be a rod to add to your quiver.. For those of us who love the long rod, having several 9E's to go with our 10E (s) may be all the rods you need for most situations except for much larger species.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE INTERESTED, MY CUSTOM 10 E WILL BE AT THE SHOP THIS WEEKEND. I WILL LEAVE IT THERE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO SEE WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT. I may also have another pre-sold blank for you to play with.. I will be there on Saturday or you can PM me with your name and phone number to discuss..

AS I NOTED WITH THE 9E REVIEW A FEW YEARS AGO, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS 10 FOOT BLANK, GET YOURSELF ON OUR LIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AS THESE BLANKS WILL BE HARD OR IMPOSSIBLE TO GET FOR MONTHS TO COME.. MANY OF Those that waited on the 9E to get on the list had to wait a year or more to get theirs.

YOU CAN GET ON THE LIST BY SENDING ME A PM NOTING YOUR NAME, PHONE NUMBER AND THE ITEM YOU WISH TO PURCHASE (10E).. AT THIS TIME THE 10E WILL BE FOR SHOP PICK UP ONLY. As your number comes up we will give you a call when the product arrives. Do not worry if I do not get back to you right away as I use the PM date as a reference for where to put your name on the list..

HOWEVER, WE MAY BE ABLE TO SHIP TO AREAS OF THE WESTERN STATES BUT IT WILL NOT BE CHEAP TO SHIP but less than USPS or FedX. I WILL KNOW MORE ABOUT SHIPPING THESE LONG BLANKS AND RODS IN A FEW WEEKS. Hopefully, this option, will work out but no guarantees.

As a note:

I LET ANYONE ON OUR TRIP, WHO WANTED TO, PLAY WITH THE 10E PROTOTYPE. EVERYONE FROM DECK HANDS TO PASSENGERS WHO PLAYED WITH IT LOVED IT... Except for one of my friends, who is an exceptional angler and jig tosser, who just does not like 10 foot rods..He did love the cast-ability of it, however ,it did not work for his style of fish fighting. Oh well, one out of a boat load, ain't bad.

I look forward to hearing from any of you who are interested.. HAVE A GREAT SEASON.

Respectfully,

Jamie

34872962-E6D7-4D11-8F9D-DA1DE9104BAF_4_5005_c.jpeg

101F0C21-D321-4BD2-93ED-B638C75E3A1A_4_5005_c.jpeg

CFFAD83F-CDAB-4A06-98B4-5BF38C408278_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: