WTB Newer Tahoe or Yukon and Out of State Smog Question

Discussion in 'Vehicles Classified Ads' started by Kman, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Kman

Kman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Robalo R180 Trailer Trash
    Hey. I’m looking to upgrade my tow vehicle. Been looking around, and I like the Tahoes/Yukons. I got the wife a new Honda earlier this year and I’m REALLY digging the adaptive cruise control, blind spot monitoring, lane keep assist, Apple car play etc, and want that in my next SUV which means I’m looking for a 2017 or newer. Problem is, they are rare as unicorns in California. My ideal Tahoe/Yukon would not be black, have Premier/Denali trim (which includes the sensor package), adaptive cruise control, max trailering package and possibly 4wd. Budget is in the low 50s. We keep our cars in the garage, so Suburbans and Yukon XLs are out.

I’m finding some around the country and want to know if I buy a Tahoe in, say, North Carolina, will I have trouble registering it in calif? Are newer SUVs 50-state legal or are California cars still burdened with extra smog.

Also, what if I find the perfect SUV and it’s in snow/salt country? How badly does one or two winters worth of salt fuck up the vehicles? Aluminum engines?

I’m using Cargurus for my search. Are there any other good search engines for cars? Ya, I know about CL.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  2. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
    Depending on age and miles of "new" vehicle, emission compliance will need to be CA compliant. Retro-fit not economical.

Most dealers are ordering 50 state compliant emission vehicles. Sticker under hood will tell.

I have a 48 state federal compliant vehicle here in CA I purchased used. Its age and miles still requires testing here in CA every two years but threshold is set at federal level.

Also, important to note, that in California, any emission repairs will be with CA compliant parts which are significantly more expensive. I use shops in Arizona for repairs and arizona addresses for emission parts I change myself.

3. Kman

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Thanks Shad. I’m talking 2017 and fewer than 30k miles. When would they require regular smog testing for an out of state vehicle? Maybe the folks at AAA can help with that.

I’m going to look at a 2017 Tahoe Premier (14k Miles) this weekend that has everything but adaptive cruise and max trailering. No max trailering means 6300# max tow weight which fits my boat just fine. I can do without the max trailering, but no ACC. Damn, once you’ve used ACC on the freeway, regular cruise control is a joke.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  4. af dreamer

af dreamer I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    tom
    Boat:
    44 luhrs dreamer
    A couple years ago I bought a used Envoy from TX and had no issue doing the CA reg.Just had to get the smog cert.Did it at AAA.If your a member you might go in and ask what you need.Tom

5. ShadBurke

ShadBurke I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Shad Burke
    Boat:
    22' Boston Whaler Guardians
  6. Dan K

Dan K Been around the block a few times

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    N/A
    A few years back, I bout a NEW Escalade in AZ. Took delivery in CA and when I went to register it, CA required a smog, even though it was a brand new vehicle. I believe (but I could be wrong) most new vehicles are built to CARB standards.

7. matt86m

matt86m Not worthy of a Title

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    20' Tiara Pursuit
    Car also must have a minimum of 7500 miles on it to be considered used. Only an issue if it isn't CA/50 state legal.

Bought a Harley out of Texas with 1000 miles on it. No CA/50 state legal sticker. Couldn't reg it in CA. One it had 7500 then I could.

8. albacore11

albacore11 Member Intrepid 200# Club

Name:
    Christopher
    Boat:
    Gone but not forgotten
    To answer a few of your questions. You will need to get it smog certified, no question. If the vehicle is considered a truck, you will also be required to get an official weight certificate. Don't delay in getting it registered once it gets to California; penalties accrue after a specified period of time. Of course, then there are the California sales taxes that will be due. At the end of the day, buying out of state is really not a money saver!

9. Unassailable

Unassailable Professional Amateur

Name:
    John B
    Boat:
    BW
    Kurt,

Why not just buy a beater dedicated tow rig for now and buy the nice Yukon when you move out of state? You'd save big bucks in the end..

10. OILAGER

OILAGER Hecho en Estados Unidos

Name:
    Wayne
    Boat:
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    As long as it has all of its Federal emissions equipment it'll never be a problem, it's when the previous owners do modifications that aren't CARB certified there are problems. Aftermarket intakes, exhausts or when catalytic converters are removed, which you see mostly on diesels that can set you back big bucks to replace.

Back in the late 1980's, early 90's, California was charging an additional $300 "Smog Impact Fee" on out-of-state vehicles with Federal emission equipment because they were "dirtier" than CA emission standards. A lawsuit was filed and the U.S. Dept of Commerce decided that it was a "tax" on interstate trade, CA had to pay back millions of dollars.

11. Unforgiven1

Unforgiven1 It's All About The Tuna Advertiser

Name:
    Drew
    Boat:
    UnforgiveN- Blackfin 29' FB Volvo Kamd 300's
    I'll reiterate what someone said, if it's 50 state compliant(emission sticker under hood) no problem. If it's not it will need to have over 7500 miles to avoid a 6 month quarantine and reg delay.

12. Kman

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Thanks everyone. I've had a couple dealers tell me all Tahoes 2016 and newer are 50 state cars, but I sure as hell won't be flying out there without verifying the sticker. Ill verify with GM.

I found one in NC that checks most of the boxes and one in GA that checks all the boxes (ACC, Max Trailering, 4WD, Sensors, and lots of warranty left), but has black interior that I guess I could live with. Still wrapping my head around paying almost $60K for a used car after all is said and done (f'n taxes!), but hell, I'm 60 and you can't take it with you right?

repo805 likes this.
  13. BornFisher

BornFisher Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bill Fisher
    Boat:
    18' Bayliner Trophy, cuddy
    Kurt--Make sure the ACC will operate in a traffic jam and completely come to a stop when the car in front of you stopped. Love my Honda in traffic jams!!
    Wish it could tow something!!

14. Kman

Name:
    Kurt
    Boat:
    Hey Bill. We love our Honda too. I used the ACC yesterday in the wifey’s CRV. If the local test drives go well and I get the Georgia Tahoe, I’ll have ~28 hours to try it out.

92449610-FC25-4CE3-9242-1D1CFD7AE938.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018