junkyardEd

Special Baiter Wizard
Nov 27, 2008
San Diego
Name
Ed
Boat
SOLD
Where can I get Newell reels? Every place sold out. Only place is JHara store in Hilo.

Put a post here on BD what You are looking for. You should get response.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2009
Maui
Name
Dakine_Malihini
Boat
Extra Large Tabis
Where can I get Newell reels? Every place sold out. Only place is JHara store in Hilo.

Newells are no longer being manufactured. Valley Manufacturing is in the process of moving their factory, and says they will resume once they're moved, but that isn't any time soon.

Best place right now is ebay, and people are really taking advantage of the demand. Be prepared to pay out the ass...

Upvote 0

peesherman

Feb 3, 2010
US
Name
Newellie
Boat
-
no.place.has.newells.anymore

If you want newells, gotta pay the price.
6484866657_4ce539edfe_z.jpg

454, 546, 550, 553

Upvote 0

laakea

Mar 2, 2011
waipahu/hi/ usa
Name
Rob
Boat
laakea
No sendo but them, my boss tales to the actual iene of the coompany, he said there is no molds left to make the reels, plus zero parts will be made. Just saying what i was told.

Peesherman.... This is Tyler from roys fishing , Storm you had better stock up on whatever parts you can find ASAP goodluck

Upvote 0

peesherman

Feb 3, 2010
US
Name
Newellie
Boat
-
haha, Hey Tyler! Long time no talk.

Ive been outsourcing my newells from the states. Thats the best place to find them lately. Just gotta convince those guys to ship. Thats the hardest part. Shooots!

Upvote 0

peesherman

Feb 3, 2010
US
Name
Newellie
Boat
-
Hey True, why dont you let me know what kind of newells you need and I can ask my guys in the states. I got sellers for P220, G334, 447's, 440's, 631's, 338's, and a few more. Gonna be grabbing a few more soon.

Upvote 0

Truliner

Nov 17, 2011
LA
Name
Joel
Boat
little boat
I saw Newell 550 sell for $400 on eBay. No good. I wanted to send my cousin some newells from the states but he want Newell 550. I only have 300 series.

Upvote 0

Kekoap13

May 13, 2014
Name
Kekoa
Boat
Boston
No sendo but them, my boss tales to the actual iene of the coompany, he said there is no molds left to make the reels, plus zero parts will be made. Just saying what i was told.

Peesherman.... This is Tyler from roys fishing , Storm you had better stock up on whatever parts you can find ASAP goodluck
Do you have any colored Newell's you would like to sell

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
Easy to ship - $12.35 at USPS. I just sent 2 Penn 500's to HI. for that price.

Upvote 0

Pupule

Feb 16, 2010
Ewa Beach
Name
Todd
Boat
22 ft Islander
Back in the day, I used to shorecast for ulua using Penn 113H reels. Even with a Newell aluminum conversion kit installed, those reels were heavy and didn't cast all that well. Then came the Newell P454F with its graphite side plates and ultra smooth bearings. Now that was a terrific shorecasting reel. My casting distance instantly improved by 20%. A few years later, Newell introduced the 546-4.6....better yet, with its bigger drive gears and bigger brakes.

Only complaint I ever had about Newell reels is that they were "high maintenance" reels, when compared to Penn reels. They required cleaning more often, the bearings didn't last as long, and the brake pads tended to glaze over during a big strike.

I don't really understand why anyone would rather use a Newell reel while fishing from a boat, though. Reel weight and casting distance shouldn't be significant factors when trolling or bottom fishing. Am I missing something here?

Last edited:
Upvote 0