Newell Spool Swap

heyscientist

Nov 27, 2005
La Jolla
Name
Mike S.
Boat
None
All my Newells have graphite spools and P-series frames. Most reels can be swapped, but you usually need to fool around with the bearing shims to get the spool centered and have the correct spool-to-frame clearance. Can be frustrating. Some spool/frame combos just don't work because the tolerances stack the wrong way, but you just have to find out by trial and error. I think there was an early vintage of P-series that had a different spindle length that won't work with a graphite spool, but some of the old Ps and all of the new ones can be made to work.

I sold the S-series frames with the P-series spools on ebay and got similar prices for what a plain S-series goes for, so buying an old S-series and then selling it is an option to get a graphite spool more or less for free.

Upvote 0

twinfin1000

TC Rods - Tradewind Creations
Jun 14, 2007
The South Bay
Name
Steven
Boat
MushiKaka
Well this is going to be a bitch. I have all new p series 322,332,338,533. Trial and error is going to take a little time.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
I told you. Just sell the"P"'s, and buy some old school "G"s. It ain't worth all the trouble. I've been fishing with some of the first "G"s since I got them from Carl when they first came out. I wouldn't give them up for anything else.

Upvote 0