Newell reel discussion

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I have a some Newells, I like em. Easy to fix, not much to break and if fished as they were intended should last a couple life times. Big fan of the early G's when Newell was at it's peak

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
My g220 and g229 are the some of the best surf drum reels I have ever used. Spooled with 18lb mono, I have landed bull reds up to 50 on the 229. The only downside is I am not confident in the strength of the side plates to go in and drill a mono mag. Static mag for now.

Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
I've fished the heck out of my 533 5.5.
Only downside vs a Penn is it's a bitch to bounce big fish on a Newell.

With a Penn, load it up and get it coming over the rail.
Hit the free spool as the fish clears the rail and thumb the fish down next to you.

The Newell won't go into freespool unless the spool is completely unloaded.
Sometimes I can roll the spool back with my thumb and get freespool. More often I don't, and the fish ends up in the middle of the deck.

Upvote 0

sulla

Jan 1, 2007
Torrance CA
Name
Sulla
Boat
Party Boat Near You
All Newell models have some excellent qualities with the possible exception ( at least for me ) of the 600 series. The 600 series just doesn’t seem to have outstanding characteristics for its size like the 500’s 400’s 300’s and 200’s. I think the the best of of all the series would probably be the 500 series because of its exceptional power that comes with the trademark finess that Newell’s are know for. Of coarse the smaller reels are also excellent for casting , durability , lightness , and easy maintenance. They are awesome! That’s why after all these years they still have a devout almost cultish group of owners.

Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Sound like shit but back in the day they were the jigslingers reel of choice, light, freespooled for ever, matching with a light graphite composite 9'r & you had a very light weapon.....
Unlike a heavy clunky jigmaster 500 & a fiberglass 90J.....
Think technology / advances have turned them into a dinosaur but they still work.....
I can cast an avet lever drag just as far as my 332, lever drags are suppose to be a NO NO when it comes to jig reels....
jig slinger purists would frown upon that...
Todays advanced, Shimano, Penn Fathom 25N, etc.....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Graphite spool is very light, compared to heavy brass and chromed steel spools they were a dream to cast, especially for jigs and flylined baits. The bearings were pretty crappy (what the noises were all about) and they had some shitty uneven drags, and their construction was no where near as solid as modern reels. I still love the way my 338 casts.

Upvote 0

Rocket Dog

Tagging and Bagging
Mar 2, 2010
SoCal
Name
Rocket Dog
Boat
passenger again
I have a few. They are my go to on local trips. They are still cost effective and you can up grade the reels. Yes you can buy a new reel, but in the end. I like them and will keep fishing them.

Upvote 0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
  • Apr 5, 2015
    San marcos
    Name
    Jay
    Boat
    18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
    Kinda crazy I’ve fished here my entire life but not once have I owned a Newell. Raised on penn reels I might have to grab a couple to try. Hard to know all the ins and outs though.

Reactions: Robsurf
    Upvote 0

Robsurf

Bobby Fillet
    Nov 28, 2016
    El Monte
    Name
    Robert
    Boat
    Not yet
    I also cut my teeth on Penn reels in the 80’s and never owned or fished a Newell. Had my first chance to throw a surface iron on one this summer when I let a fellow angler throw my TRQ25 on a GG90J. It casted super smooth on the first try paired with a Calstar 100Jmag. I believe it was a model 332, not sure about the letter though.

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
    Oct 30, 2004
    Torrance
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    I was a Newell and Jigmaster fan from the 80‘s and thought those reels were the shitz which they were at that time. Then came the first line of reels with large gear boxes that extended past a standard round side housing. Thought that was hype but understood it was to handle the larger 5:1 gearing combo. I always hated fishing jigging deep water cod with the old school reels as it was brutal to wind up from the deep. Then I tried jigging with a Saltist and BOY was there a difference and a joy to jig deeper water and grind through a deep water bite dragging up some heavy @$& cod’s from the deep.

With the newer reels gear box combination there was a huge torque difference . Same torque advantage was gained when winding through a surface iron bite. It was much easier to grind a hook set with the reel. Because of the heavier momentum spools I noticeably was able to get more jig casting surface iron distance on my T100 jig sticks.

During that time Newell’s were my tuna reels for fishing 15 up to 40# , but with the new technology reels and 2 spds that came out, those reels were all since sold off and replaced. I had a few 220, 229, 332, 338s

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    I started fishing in the SF bay area, started with Penns fishing shallow cod. Then got all the nice aluminum Shimanos, Accurates, Avets, and Daiwas....

Then I moved down to San Diego. Never understood the importance of knowing how to cast a bait until I moved down here. Tried casting baits with big ole TLD20s, 25s, Accurate 870s and other clunky ass "new" reels. Humbled at casting to say the least.

Most of my actively used day to day socal arsenal is comprised of Newell 220, 229, 322, 332 for casting baits and casting surface irons. I must admit it took me a couple of years "downgrade" but I got no second thoughts about landing pelagics to 90lbs in socal.

Upvote 0

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    I have everything from a small 151 baitcaster, Saltigas, Torques, & VISX to cover everything from 10-100lb test. I fish the 220, 229 & 322 for long casting jigs/iron towards BFT breezers up to 40lb sized fish. Nothing is better. Sure, your chances of landing anything bigger are somewhat slim.. that’s where the Saltigas and Torques come in.

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    My G229 is still my go to for everything from calicos to schoolie tunas. My 332 is still what I throw surface iron with. I've upgraded all the drags to greased carbon fiber, and they still spin forever. That and the graphite spool are what make them such great live bait reels.

All my G-series Newells are 35 years old now and they still look brand new on the inside. That was one of Carl Newell's goals... to make a corrosion free reel, and for the most part, he succeeded.

Upvote 0

tunachris

Oct 16, 2005
    Azusa, CA
    Name
    Chris Lomax
    Boat
    none
    Been fishing Newells since the early 80’s. Still the best reels around for slinging iron. Easy to maintain, cast as well as anything around.

I have recently started to use Shimano Talica’s for bait fishing with heavier line, but for light line I still use 220/229 Newells. For local surface iron I use a P332with #30. I also like fishing surface iron for wahoo, and I use a P440, and a P533 5.5 for #40 & #50.

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    They are great designs and built like a tank. However, you can be SOL if you are looking to replace broken parts. I was not able to find a replacement spring for the freespool lever. I ended up making my own with a stainless spring wire. The reel can be worth more if you sell it as parts.

Reactions: jiggermyster
    Upvote 0

jonrx7

I like girls, boos and fishing. Simple life.
    Apr 21, 2008
    Torrance and Garden Grove
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    Not yet
    Nothing cast like a Newell, especially anchovies and jigs, even today. Daiwa disengaging spool and new Fathoms are getting closer. The light weight of the SS and Composite makes it easy to handle on the party boats. Prices are going up on the Newells so Daiwa and Fathoms are closer to getting a value added reel in the long run. From what I hear, Newell is getting back in the game again and we will see what pan out.
    I do hope they make a comeback - but time will tell.

JT

Upvote 0

Latest posts