onlyartificial

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 22, 2010
Redondo Beach, CA
Name
Joe
Boat
RumbleWeed
Does anyone out there have a scan-able schematic for a G332-f? It would make my life soooo much easier any help would be appreciated very much. Im having a problem with the handle getting stiff when i button down the drag. Thank you

mchawk

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 9, 2005
huntington beach
Name
michael
Boat
Does anyone out there have a scan-able schematic for a G332-f? It would make my life soooo much easier any help would be appreciated very much. Im having a problem with the handle getting stiff when i button down the drag. Thank you
Call Norma at

Valley Manufacturing & Engineering
11915 Wicks St.
Sun Valley, California 91352

Phone: (818) 504-6085

she can fax you a schematic.

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
you need another spacer under the star. it's a common problem. alan

mchawk

Nov 9, 2005
huntington beach
Name
michael
Boat
How do you adjust drag range? Sorry if it's a stupid question..
He's talking about when the star is backed all the way off. Sometimes after switching
to ht-100's the drag stack with all the washers and spacers is taller than stock, so when the star is backed off all the way you still have a certain amount of drag.
To get the full range of drag adjustments from 0 to max, you need to adjust the stack size by using thinner washers or cutting down a spacer or etc. I will usually tolerate a small amount of drag when fully backed off, because I never fish with zero drag, but an excessive amount should be adjusted.

Spongerider

The Fish Monger
Sep 2, 2007
Huntington Beach
Name
Dean O.
Boat
39', Fountain, The Michael.
He's talking about when the star is backed all the way off. Sometimes after switching
to ht-100's the drag stack with all the washers and spacers is taller than stock, so when the star is backed off all the way you still have a certain amount of drag.
To get the full range of drag adjustments from 0 to max, you need to adjust the stack size by using thinner washers or cutting down a spacer or etc. I will usually tolerate a small amount of drag when fully backed off, because I never fish with zero drag, but an excessive amount should be adjusted.
Thank you for the explanation.

obed

Apr 22, 2015
Name
Obed
Boat
Tribeca
Do you recommend or how is the s220-5 for surface iron?

I understand you usually want bigger or better max drag for Surface iron to turn heads but. Its The only replacement i found for my g332 is a s220-5

Will that hold up or should i wait for a 332 again.

It will be a surface iron rig strictly so any input would help.

alantani

Jul 24, 2005
Saratoga, CA
Name
alan tani
Boat
grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
i use a narrowed 533 for surface iron. i think a 200 series newell would work, but it's a little small.

obed

Apr 22, 2015
Name
Obed
Boat
Tribeca
Thanks i just felt i should ask someone whi either knows pr has fished it before.

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
Dec 13, 2003
San Marcos
Name
Eric
Boat
Grady White 208
Do you recommend or how is the s220-5 for surface iron?

I understand you usually want bigger or better max drag for Surface iron to turn heads but. Its The only replacement i found for my g332 is a s220-5

Will that hold up or should i wait for a 332 again.

It will be a surface iron rig strictly so any input would help.
Newell 200 and 300 series have the same sized drags. The problem with the 220 is capacity. You'd have to fill it with spectra, otherwise you'd probably be able to cast out the entire spool if you filled it with 40 lb mono. Or you wanted to throw surface iron on 20 lb mono, but that doesn't make much sense. I use an S332 as my surface iron reel. I use a G229 for my 20 lb bait reel.

obed

Apr 22, 2015
Name
Obed
Boat
Tribeca
I was gonna throw #25 or #30 since that has worked fir me before but yeah the main consideration is the capacity pf line i can spool. All i found locally is a s220 so i think im gonna settle for that.
Never tried spectra on a newell before.

Anglewood

Up to no good...
Feb 16, 2012
Culver City, CA
Name
Connor
Boat
Intrepid, New Del Mar
The drag isn't a consideration if you use the 5-Stack carbontex. I caught a 41lb YT at Cedros on surface iron in July using my G322-F. It held up great, and you can see the fish in my Avatar. I serviced it using the tutorial on Alan's site and also added a Tib frame and handle. Can't say I see a need for a modern surface iron reel as this one is working just fine for me.

-Connor