Newell P332

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by russ1962, Jun 27, 2012.

1. russ1962

russ1962 Fish To Live...Live To Fish

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    I need to get my P332 serviced and am looking for a reputable place near Whittier, CA.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

2. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    fishermans access in brea. they do a good job servicing my newells

3. russ1962

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    I've talked to them and they told me that they sent the reels out to someone else for service.

is SavOn Tackle a good place for reel service?

4. ratrod

ratrod .........

Name:
    RJ
    Boat:
    Others
    Savon is close to you and should be able to handle it. Otherwise, I would recommend Charkbait. They don't do it inhouse but their reel guy does excellent work.

5. Squid Lord

Squid Lord Newbie

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    XXX
    SavOn does it in-house. To be honest I haven't had them do mine but I buy parts from them. Newells are really simple (unless you break something). Why don't you read some Alan Tani tutorials and see if you are up to doing it yourself? I do all of my own and they always perform better than they started. If nothing is broke you will need drag washers, grease, drag grease and most likely bearings and oil...all readily available. Do read the tutorials before you begin. Good Luck.

6. whammy

whammy Hook Up!

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    2200 XL Pathfinder
    fishermans access services reels in house, the only thing they do outside is rod wrapping

7. NorthShore41

NorthShore41 Newbie

Here Here! If your reel is broken sorry, ignore me. If you just need a deep clean and lube, save your money and buy grease from Cal's Lube from wherever (I like the ...X products i.e. Speed X Reel X) and a few extra parts from Charkbait or wherever and open the tutorials. I maintain all my reels. Soon I will be breaking apart my new Makairas to service them (wish me luck)

8. Shakey

Shakey Newbie

Name:
    Jason
    Boat:
    Your Boat
    Search for one of alan tanis newell tutorials and make it a project. You can't go wrong if you follow his guide, as he shows you piece by piece how to take it apart. It's pretty simple and will save you money in the long run. All you need is a cross-head screwdriver and an adjustable wrench.

If your reel needs new bearings, Charkbait stores have them or you can order them online from BOCA Bearings.

9. TEAMFISH

TEAMFISH JUST ADD WATER

Name:
    DAVE
    Boat:
    25' Skipjack Fisherman
    X2 on what everyone else said, use Alan's tuturials or download a schematic. Newell's are one of the easiest reels to do. I personally will take a brand new out of the box reel and strip it down, get personal with it and hod rod the son' bitch.

10. falconer

falconer Member

Name:
    Doug Pineo
    Boat:
    16 foot 1955 Crestliner
    I've used Alan's tutorials on my Satist 30Ts, my Newell 338, and my Penn Baja Specials. Mr. Tani has done us all a great service.

11. russ1962

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    Thanks for all of the replies! Those tutorials are awesome!

12. tunachris

tunachris Member

Name:
    Chris Lomax
    Boat:
    none
    I have been fishing Newells for almost 30 years, and servicing them for almost as long. Simple reel to tear down, and they really work better if serviced often. Newells need to be kept clean and free of any salt and old grease to work best. I do all of mine at least two or three times a year, and before any long range trips.

Bearings really need to be kept clean, and well oiled.

The gears need to be clean.

Bridge assembly can be cleaned and greased wihout taking off the circlips and springs if you do it regularly.

I like aluminum Newells, so it is important to clean all the salt and corrosion where the aluminum/stainless parts meet.

I use wet drags, so a little Cal's grease after the drag washers and stainless washers are cleaned is used.

Try it, and you should be able to do it. The nice thing about Newells is they don't come all apart when you strip them down. Parts are pretty much held in place in the various assemblies.

I like to use a 9/16 wrench, and a small flat head screwdriver. I use WD-40 as a cleaner, some fine oil for the handle and bearings, and heavy grease for the rest. Paper towels and q-tips to clean the parts. If the reel isn't very dirty, I can do one in about 25-30 minutes.

Make sure to use grease on all the screws once they have been cleaned.

13. maxfishon

maxfishon Newbie

Name:
    Raymond
    Boat:
    none
    Yep, maintaining on your own, opens up a wallet of cost savings. Once you know the condition of your gear at all times you have that added confidence of no suprises. Plus as a bonus you get to tinker with em and share amongst fellow memebers. Thats why this forum is so full of info and advice. Can't go wrong. If you get stuck you can always find it on this site or someone can direct you to a reputable source.

14. russ1962

Name:
    Russ
    Boat:
    Someone Else's
    Chris and Raymond, thank you for the advice!