marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Bought a tiburon frame for a newell no letter 322-5 and ran into an issue i havent seen on my other newells,The 2 lower long screws on the left side plate that go through the spacer bars to the frame on the other side are some type of smooth button head (no slot),How do you remove these or should i even try?Are replacements available?Scratching my head on this one!

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    If you don't need the screws grab one end with vice grips and twist them out, pretty sure there's thread in the inner ring, they're probably rusted in there. You'll need short screws to attach the side plates, there's a guy on Ebay who sells whole sets. I think the inner rings on those have threads so get a small file so the short screws will go thru. While your at it get a drag upgrade kit, a set of bearings, a pair of threaded inserts and screws for the top and an SS bearing cap from the same guy on Ebay. He sells sets of all that stuff.
    Pain in the ass but you'll be glad you did it

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    If you don't need the screws grab one end with vice grips and twist them out, pretty sure there's thread in the inner ring, they're probably rusted in there. You'll need short screws to attach the side plates, there's a guy on Ebay who sells whole sets. I think the inner rings on those have threads so get a small file so the short screws will go thru. While your at it get a drag upgrade kit, a set of bearings, a pair of threaded inserts and screws for the top and an SS bearing cap from the same guy on Ebay. He sells sets of all that stuff.
    Pain in the ass but you'll be glad you did it
    Beleive it or not swami the reel is brand new,Picked it up from Hi's tackle a few years ago and thought id add the tib frame since it wasnt a p series.Is the guy from ebay whittierte?If so i think he lives near me,ill send him a message on ebay.My neighbor is dawn from smoothdrag so always upgrade to carbontex stacks.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Yeah, whittierte, everything you need. He'll have the 5+1 drag kit or you can leave it with 3+1 Ctex from Smooth drag. Nothing wrong with the frame the way it is either, the long screws are plenty strong,they just rust if not kept lubed.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Yeah, whittierte, everything you need. He'll have the 5+1 drag kit or you can leave it with 3+1 Ctex from Smooth drag. Nothing wrong with the frame the way it is either, the long screws are plenty strong,they just rust if not kept lubed.
    Already have the frame,bought it before i saw the buttonhead screws,whittierte responded on ebay this morning and said my bearings and bearing cap(meta)are good so im going with a screw set and bryan young drag upgrade,thanks for the help swami.

Upvote 0

Fishing_Frank

• Sep 23, 2020
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    N/A
    Bought a tiburon frame for a newell no letter 322-5 and ran into an issue i havent seen on my other newells,The 2 lower long screws on the left side plate that go through the spacer bars to the frame on the other side are some type of smooth button head (no slot),How do you remove these or should i even try?Are replacements available?Scratching my head on this one!
    Were you able to get the long screws out? If so how’d you do it? Also struggling to take them out 🤔

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Were you able to get the long screws out? If so how’d you do it? Also struggling to take them out 🤔
    Yes you can get them out by using vise grips and twisting on the threaded end until you have enough room to grab them on the other round button end with the vise grips,It fubars the threads for sure but its the only way i found to get a grip on the round end.

Reactions: Fishing_Frank
    Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Try to get some kind of penetrating oil in there. I use kroil. Then heat it up a bit. I use a hammer on the end of the screw with a socket to support the other side plate. Just a few taps to get the screw head to stick out a bit then twist it out. You can usually save the threads that way

Upvote 0

Fishing_Frank

• Sep 23, 2020
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    N/A
    Try to get some kind of penetrating oil in there. I use kroil. Then heat it up a bit. I use a hammer on the end of the screw with a socket to support the other side plate. Just a few taps to get the screw head to stick out a bit then twist it out. You can usually save the threads that way
    Was thinking of tappin em out with a hammer, been soaking them in wd40 since yesterday will try taking them out today

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    Swami knows alot more than i do so id listen to him,my screws were jacked after i was done with them.I tried everything to save them and my reel was brand new old stock that never saw water and they were so tight it was rediculous.Even after i was able to get the vise grips on the button end they didnt seem to loosen at all.
    I would have to pass on any button head screw newells now unless they were really cheap,always look at the sideplate pics!

Upvote 0

Fishing_Frank

• Sep 23, 2020
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    N/A
    Swami knows alot more than i do so id listen to him,my screws were jacked after i was done with them.I tried everything to save them and my reel was brand new old stock that never saw water and they were so tight it was rediculous.Even after i was able to get the vise grips on the button end they didnt seem to loosen at all.
    I would have to pass on any button head screw newells now unless they were really cheap,always look at the sideplate pics!
    I’m surprised they were really tight if they weren’t rusted, as if they were glued in 🤔😂. I don’t mind the long bars concept because the frame is really stable, it’s servicing them is the issue 💀

Upvote 0

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    I’m surprised they were really tight if they weren’t rusted, as if they were glued in 🤔😂. I don’t mind the long bars concept because the frame is really stable, it’s servicing them is the issue 💀
    I was surprised too,i dont think they threaded the rings but rather just force threaded them in with the screws?I even had to drill out the holes in the rings a tiny bit to allow the new screws to pass through and into the tib frame.

Upvote 0