Newell 440-5 freespool question

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by jtj0026, Jan 23, 2017.

1. jtj0026

jtj0026 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    n/a
    Just acquired a Newell C440-5 and found a freespool issue. When in freespool with clicker off seems like the spool still have minimum engagement with the drag therefore not very good for casting. When cranking the handle with gears disengaged the spool turns with the crank. How do you make the freespool COMPLETE freespool? Thanks for your help.

2. OnoEric

OnoEric Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Grady White 208
    It could be a number of things that could be remedied by a good tear down and cleaning. It's possible the bearings are gummed up and need to be cleaned out or replaced, or the pinion gear might be sticking on the spool shaft, to name a couple of possible causes off the top of my head. Does the spool turn when in free spool while cranking the handle?

3. Highwayman

Highwayman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dude
    Boat:
    None
    I had a similar issue when I changed the bearings, it was the bearing cup and shims adjustment when assembled in my case.

4. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    From what you describe it sounds like the pinion gear may be hanging up on the spool shaft. Take it apart and polish the spool shaft and the inside of the pinion gear. You can usually do it with fine steel wool. Put it back together with some lube and it should be OK. Also check the bearings and make sure you have a little side to side play with the spool. When it is in freespool the pinion gear is disengaged from the spool but it is still on the spoolshaft and it still moves when you turn the handle. If it does not slide smoothly on the shaft the spool will turn backwards when you turn the handle even though it is in freespool.

Cubeye likes this.
  5. jtj0026

jtj0026 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    n/a
    It turned out that the pinion gear was hanging up on the spool shaft as you described. The only thing needed to be done was wipe clear the spool shaft. Reel has an excellent free spool now.

Thank you guys. BD is great :).