LuckyJ

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 17, 2016
SoCal
Name
LuckyJ
Boat
Monte Carlo
hello, I purchased a second hand 322-F on BD and took it out yesterday on 1/2 day Monte Carlo to check it out...it was mostly bottom fishing but I really wanted to try out the Newell....after dropping the line to the rocks and hooking a fish, I started cranking her up and immediately noticed and felt like the drag or something was grinding metal to metal...

even while I was winding the line in, it felt like slippage/grind/slippage/grind etc...

so here I am at home taking her apart and watching youtube to help make sense of things and I noticed two things that are different...

1) there is a small washer between the side plate (clicker side) and ball bearing.....see picture
is this small washer supposed to be here?

2) I found another carbon drag washer between the main gear and plate....I checked to see that there were three carbon and three washers in the drag stack...
should there be anything behind the main gear? ( so between the main gear and plate)?

first time using a Newell so any help is appreciated...

thanks

IMG_2090.JPG

Hangfire

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 22, 2007
Name
GW
Boat
Glastron Seafury
Sounds like something is not spaced right...

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
alantani.com should have all your answers and upgrades.Also smoothdrag.com for parts.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
hello, I purchased a second hand 322-F on BD and took it out yesterday on 1/2 day Monte Carlo to check it out...it was mostly bottom fishing but I really wanted to try out the Newell....after dropping the line to the rocks and hooking a fish, I started cranking her up and immediately noticed and felt like the drag or something was grinding metal to metal...

even while I was winding the line in, it felt like slippage/grind/slippage/grind etc...

so here I am at home taking her apart and watching youtube to help make sense of things and I noticed two things that are different...

1) there is a small washer between the side plate (clicker side) and ball bearing.....see picture
is this small washer supposed to be here?

2) I found another carbon drag washer between the main gear and plate....I checked to see that there were three carbon and three washers in the drag stack...
should there be anything behind the main gear? ( so between the main gear and plate)?

first time using a Newell so any help is appreciated...

thanks

View attachment 822366
Yes there is supposed to be a washer under the left side bearing, and yes there should be a drag material under the main gear. You'll see the main gear is recessed on the bottom side to accommodate this drag.
There can be a number of reasons you're experiencing the grind while retrieving under load. First thing to check is the star rubbing the side plate when tightened down? Next is to check how smooth the pinion gear rolls on the teeth of the main gear, any roughness could mean they're not mating correctly, or they're mismatched.
Be very careful not to over tighten the side plate screws in the side plates or you'll crack the plastic.

LuckyJ

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 17, 2016
SoCal
Name
LuckyJ
Boat
Monte Carlo
I took a picture of the carbon washer that is between the plate and main gear...but the schematics cite a "thrust washer"...can I use this carbon washer in lieu of the thrust washer?

the main gear is NOT recessed on the bottom side to accommodate this drag on mine...

also, I noticed the grinding sound is gone and the drag works smoothly when I not use this carbon washer...is it absolutely required?

thank you

IMG_2092.JPG

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
You need something between the main gear and the top of the gear sleeve or it's metal on metal which isn't good. The cf washer is ok or a Delrin washer.Might be the cf washers in there are a little different thickness than original Newell washer. At least it's a Newell so you don't need a phd in engineering to work on it

Reactions: marlyn

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
You need that washer,it spaces out your drag stack along with preventing metal on metal like swami said.Carbon is fine grease it up first,old one was probably compressed from putting the reel away with drag cranked down.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
You need that washer,it spaces out your drag stack along with preventing metal on metal like swami said.Carbon is fine grease it up first,old one was probably compressed from putting the reel away with drag cranked down.
Excellent schematics, but there's no bridge pin used on Newells. I think Penn only uses this pin. The top of the bridge sleeve spindle is either grooved for a C clip or drilled and tapped for a 8-32 screw.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
i poached that from smooth drags site,closest example i could find on the fly.
Sometimes bloodydeckers do better with pictures,lol.

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
I took a picture of the carbon washer that is between the plate and main gear...but the schematics cite a "thrust washer"...can I use this carbon washer in lieu of the thrust washer?

the main gear is NOT recessed on the bottom side to accommodate this drag on mine...

also, I noticed the grinding sound is gone and the drag works smoothly when I not use this carbon washer...is it absolutely required?

thank you

View attachment 822482
There has been some probs with putting drag material under the main gear, the teeth of the anti reverse can chew this material up. The thrust washer is usually a fiber material or plastic, and it's needed to lift the main gear so it doesn't snag on the anti reverse tension spring.
If you can't find a Newell thrust washer you can use a Penn Jigmaster thrust washer.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Or just send your reel to Reel Man, he brought my 338 back from the dead!

Quick turnaround and extremely reasonable cost.

LuckyJ

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 17, 2016
SoCal
Name
LuckyJ
Boat
Monte Carlo
There has been some probs with putting drag material under the main gear, the teeth of the anti reverse can chew this material up. The thrust washer is usually a fiber material or plastic, and it's needed to lift the main gear so it doesn't snag on the anti reverse tension spring.
If you can't find a Newell thrust washer you can use a Penn Jigmaster thrust washer.
thank you very much for the help...will any diameter thrust washer do?

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
SOLD IT
How do I get a hold of "Reel Man"? have 332 that needs service....
you can try and send him a PM but I'm pretty sure is recovering from surgery and is going through rehab. This is just what I've heard, others may know better. I haven't seen him post anything lately

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
Check on Alan Tani site. Very easy reel to service. There is also a schematic for just about every model on one thread. New drag washers, clean the bearings and your ready to go. Or you can send it to alan tani and it will come back better than new.
Reelman is still in rehab,hopefully he'll be back soon!

mike mitchell

Jul 25, 2017
San Diego
Name
Michael Mitchell
Boat
20 Bertram
Did you get an answer? I had the same problem and it turned out to be the clamp screws were scrapping the spool.

Highwayman

Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
How do I get a hold of "Reel Man"? have 332 that needs service....
If you live in SC you can take it to Ken’s Custom Reels though he is a little backed up right now. I had the same issue you had and it was adjustment. It’s a bummer when it happens on the boat. The thrust washer is cheap. There are several YouTube videos that are good as well as schematics on line. There are also shims available to shim the bearings in the bearing cups if required. It takes a little patience and if the person before you didn’t assemble it right you use the schematics, videos and some trial and error.
Have fun...