bsandls

I don't know what I don't know
  • Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    20' Tiara
    I have been fishing most of my life but am new to boat ownership. As many of you know, owning a boat is not always as advertised. Bought a boat with some friends and started getting the hang of the difference between fishing and captaining a boat and discovered "I don't know Jack". Just when I thought I was getting the hang of the captain thing, boat broke and it has been out of service all spring and summer. Got it back together recently and decided to try and get out a few times to work out all the bugs. We had some moderate success but nothing worth posting.

Yesterday I decided to "go for it" and packed it all up, made a plan and ran down to Shelter Island with my son. Thanks to lurking here on BD I saw what looked like a good report that the fish were down at the 425 and I was intent on making a run there. When we got down to Shelter Island I saw that it was pretty socked in with fog, which only added to my anxiety (you know, newly pieced together boat, new captain, Mexico...). Met 3 other boaters down at the ramp and none of them had radar (which I do) so I asked if they wanted to buddy boat and where they were headed. All three were headed to the 371 and the third guy (Jade) took me up on my offer. I told him I was intending to go to 425 and he said "naw, go to the 371, trust me". Having little knowledge and nothing to lose I took him up on his knowledge, Thanks again Jade if you are on here.

The fog was patchy and mostly light once out at sea so we were able to travel at a good clip most of the way. Using Jade's numbers I got us out within a couple of miles of the 371 and didn't see another boat. The sun was mostly out and the seas were light, beautiful day. We slowed down and started trolling a cedar plug and blue/silver rapala while my son went on top of the tower and started looking for kelp. About 20 minutes of trolling speed and we had a double jig strike and when brought to the boat found two 10 pound grade YFT attached. Brought the first one on board and walked to the other side of the boat to watch my son when I hear the rattle of that rapala and think "oh crap". The fish came around the bait tank to the other side and embedded the big treble right into my bare foot, way past the barb. Fish is going berserk and my foot is feeling the trauma, but "hey, we got two fish on the boat". Sadly we probably could have chummed up the school but I was too busy trying to pull the hook out (took about 1/2 hour) and end the pain. Ended up using a zip tie wrapped around the shank and pushed down as far as possible to cover the barb then pulling it out. Hurt a little getting out but felt a lot better once clear of the foot.

The day ended with the 2 YFT, 1 skipjack, 1 Dorado and 1 YT. Lost two more YFT, one to a seal and one just plain ole broken off. Not bad for only fishing until noon before turning back towards the docks. Water was 68ish in the zone and blue green, all was good. Thanks again to all the posters for the intel and special thanks to Jade for helping me out and not making fun of me, at least to my face 8-)

Upvote 0

jcopple

Aug 13, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jade
    Boat
    20' OMC, Quest
    Hey Brian, great to hear you guys got a couple and sorry to hear about the hook in the foot. Accidents can happen quick on deck with pissed off fish and sharp hooks. Get those hooks out first! I tried hailing you guys on the radio multiple times but no reply. I found a nice kelp 6 miles short and a little inside of the numbers I gave you. I got my fill pretty quick of YT and limit of dorado. YT were in the 6-10lb range and Dorado were nice12-14lbs all weighed on a hang spring scale. Released many. Decided to look around for a bit and called it an early day. Heard there was an ok bite near the 371 but much better further south for the tuna. Anyways, nice to meet you and your son and glad you made it back with some fish.

Upvote 0

tunakillerjoe1

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 24, 2017
    San Diego, Calif
    Name
    Joseph Gratteau
    Boat
    Valco Westcoaster 150'
    Thanks for the report! What is with the dogs offshore? I see them everywhere now, stealing fish. Did not used to be like that-

Reactions: SMYLEE
    Upvote 0

bsandls

• Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    20' Tiara
    Hey Brian, great to hear you guys got a couple and sorry to hear about the hook in the foot. Accidents can happen quick on deck with pissed off fish and sharp hooks. Get those hooks out first! I tried hailing you guys on the radio multiple times but no reply. I found a nice kelp 6 miles short and a little inside of the numbers I gave you. I got my fill pretty quick of YT and limit of dorado. YT were in the 6-10lb range and Dorado were nice12-14lbs all weighed on a hang spring scale. Released many. Decided to look around for a bit and called it an early day. Heard there was an ok bite near the 371 but much better further south for the tuna. Anyways, nice to meet you and your son and glad you made it back with some fish.
    I saw you flair off to the left and figured you either had to piss or saw a paddy. I was on channel 11 all day, another rookie mistake. Thanks again, glad to hear you smoked 'em

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    I saw you flair off to the left and figured you either had to piss or saw a paddy. I was on channel 11 all day, another rookie mistake. Thanks again, glad to hear you smoked 'em
    Part of your plan should have been to be on the same channel so you could share intel.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    In USA waters I hear it's legal to shoot next to one.

Shoot what? noaa has a list of things you can use, I have never seen anything about shooting next to them. I recommend a sling shot, it is on the list of things legal to use. Take a milk jug out and practice a little and they work great. When I have hit them they take off and don't come back.. I don't take it to Mexico
    1604437888820.png

Upvote 0

Otto

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    Shoot what? noaa has a list of things you can use, I have never seen anything about shooting next to them. I recommend a sling shot, it is on the list of things legal to use. Take a milk jug out and practice a little and they work great. When I have hit them they take off and don't come back.. I don't take it to Mexico
    View attachment 1220464
    I doubt I could get good results from a slingshot. I do hate the dogs. I do believe that it is legal to shoot a firearm next to a sea lion as long as your are enough offshore and you don't injure the sea lion.. I haven't done it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

bsandls

• Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    20' Tiara
    Always good to have a pair of heavy duty cutters on the boat for those nasty hook situations. I like these from Amazon.
    I will take all the pro-tips I can get. Wish I would have been on 72 for Jade and wish I had some decent bolt cutters, although my trick worked really well and I am not sore at all today. We did have some wire cutters (pretty sure that would have been horrible pain) but they were rusted totally shut and I couldn't get them open, lotta good they do me.

Upvote 0

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
  • Nov 20, 2008
    san diego calif. usa
    Name
    george
    Boat
    18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
    Always good to have a pair of heavy duty cutters on the boat for those nasty hook situations. I like these from Amazon.

This is true, good hooks are hardened steel and not easy to cut.

I doubt I could get good results from a slingshot. I do hate the dogs. I do believe that it is legal to shoot a firearm next to a sea lion as long as your are enough offshore and you don't injure the sea lion.. I haven't done it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Otto, if you want to be safe check out noaa's web site they have a list of things you can use. The only thing I remember about shooting at them is if you were using rubber bullets. I was pretty good with a sling shot as a kid and it only took a couple practice shots to get it back, they work really well... if you can hit them.

I will take all the pro-tips I can get. Wish I would have been on 72 for Jade and wish I had some decent bolt cutters, although my trick worked really well and I am not sore at all today. We did have some wire cutters (pretty sure that would have been horrible pain) but they were rusted totally shut and I couldn't get them open, lotta good they do me.

Clean them up with naval jelly and then use a 50/50 mix of auto trans fluid and acetone to free them up, after they are freed up use bacon grease to keep them from rusting again.

Reactions: bsandls
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    No pics of the hook in the foot, I call Bull Shit! Just Kidding. I know the pain. At least you got yours out. I had 2 of the 3 Treble get lodged in between my Thumb and Index past the Barbs! That required a trip to the E.R and a few stitches.

Upvote 0

bsandls

• Jul 7, 2018
    Orange County
    Name
    brian
    Boat
    20' Tiara
    No pics of the hook in the foot, I call Bull Shit! Just Kidding. I know the pain. At least you got yours out. I had 2 of the 3 Treble get lodged in between my Thumb and Index past the Barbs! That required a trip to the E.R and a few stitches.
    haha, I can vouch its true, I have a witness. The worst part is I was in Montana last week and cut myself while cleaning my elk. only took two stitches but bled like a stuck pig. Wanted to avoid a 2nd trip to the ER in a week.

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    In my opinion, backing a hook out is often the best way to go. Trying to push the barb on thru previously uninjured flesh is risky, due to unknown blood vessels, nerves, muscle tendons etc. YouTube has some videos on the procedure. It is often called snapping the hook out. When in doubt, stabilize the hook and head for professional medical attention.

Reactions: One_Leg
    Upvote 0

THE GRAYS

Oct 20, 2006
    Redlands
    Name
    The Grays
    Boat
    2021 Parker 2320
    Ouch on the foot hooked foot!!!!! Congratulations on the successful first trip!

Reactions: bsandls
    Upvote 0