Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
I am considering getting started fly fishing on saltwater. I will start out on SD and Mission bays, mostly fishing in 20 ft of depth or less. The target species will mostly be our local saltwater bass species. Here are a few questions:

1. Is an 8 weight rod the right size for this? I have been told that a six weight would likely be a little light. Since I will also try fly fishing La Jolla eventually (mostly for bass) , 8 seems to be a good compromise.
2. Do I really need a tapered leader for fishing in the bays? I have heard conflicting opinions about this.
3. I understand that it is more difficult to cast a sinking fly line than a floating line. Would a fly line with a sinking tip cast easier and be sufficient for the bays? Please keep in mind that both of these bays often have a significant current flow.

Thank you for any information,

Paul

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
7 or 8 weight is perfect.

Straight fluoro is my go to. I use anything between 10lb and 20lb depending on what is biting. You can also make your own tapered leaders by tying 2 pieces together with a albright knot.

buy a floating line and use a sinking leader. It will give you a lot more versatility.

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I fish a 6wt and two 9wt rods. The first 8lb calico you catch on a 6wt will test your skills. The 9wt makes casting a heavy fly easy. Learn to tie Clousers. I tie olive/white and black/white on #2-1/0 hooks with large red dumbbell eyes. Try barbless or pinched barbs for easy releases.

I use Airflow Depthfinder Big Game Sink, just a tad heavier than standard (400 grain rather than 350 grain on my 9wt), tied to a 6-8' length of 12-20lb Premier fluorocarbon.

Anchor up-current from some structure and chum with sardine chunks, then catch until your arms hurt.

Reactions: Jordan
    Upvote 0

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    7-8 wt good. I’m a novice fly fisherman but have some friends who are die hard. I bought an extra spool for the reel. One for sinking and one for floating. Sinking line spool gets used a lot more often. I think the sinking line is 240 grain. Flys get bit for sure!

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 11, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    Thank you for the great responses. I will likely be purchasing a used 7 wt Echo Boost Salt or TFO Axiom II fly rod. Would one of these be better than the other for a newbie like myself on Mission and SD Bays?

Paul

Upvote 0

Latest posts