Newbie needs help with hooping

Joe Greenway

Jul 8, 2014
Name
Joe Greenway
Boat
Looking
Hey all - Rookie needs help with hooping

Friend has a nice 36' and wants to go hooping in the LB / SP area - What do we need to know??? Licenses, areas, hoop limits, bag limits, restrictions . . . . . . Can you help a couple of rookies out ???

Thanks

Joe Greenway

Jul 8, 2014
Name
Joe Greenway
Boat
Looking
Do's and don't, tides, bait . . . . . . . . Long time tuna guy, just never been hooping

Thanks for your help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whammy

Hook Up!
Dec 18, 2005
Huntington Beach
Name
Chris
Boat
2200 XL Pathfinder
you all need fishing licenses, lobster report cards, everyone needs a gauge, 10 hoops max per boat, 5 nets max if fishing solo, fish the tides and use macs as bait

oceanjake

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 10, 2005
Long Beach
Name
Jake
Boat
60' hatteras enclosed bridge
does that 36' have a dinghy? I like to pull hoops from the dinghy. 36' is getting to be on the fringe of too big to weave around hoop net ropes.

Team Ball's Out

Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Dingy is a boat, 10 nets if you have another body with you!

hotrail20

COW HUNTERS
May 28, 2006
Chino,Ca
Name
Leonard
Boat
Yours
you all need fishing licenses, lobster report cards, everyone needs a gauge, 10 hoops max per boat, 5 nets max if fishing solo, fish the tides and use macs as bait
Everything Chris said but use Salmon heads instead

ISLAND BOUND

Jan 18, 2006
Orange County
Name
Mike
Boat
26 striper White Knuckles
I suggest you spend a little time on the dfg website and read the regs, then do some searching on here for general info. As far as LOCATION, good luck with that one.

ctodd

Oct 11, 2014
Name
Charles
Boat
none
If fishing from shore, there is a two hoop limit per person. The seven(lobster) limit means ownership of seven at a time. If you have seven in the fridge, you can not go out and catch seven more.

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I wish I could help, but I have heard it's wise to bring along some strong, able bodied fools...uh I mean friends to pull in the nets every time. :D

Jr.

Winning!
Feb 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Dave
Boat
Hatteras
does that 36' have a dinghy? I like to pull hoops from the dinghy. 36' is getting to be on the fringe of too big to weave around hoop net ropes.
I agree you are more likely to run over your nets with a 36'. I love hooping from the dinghy it's way easier to quietly get on top of the nets and pull straight up then attempt to grab the nets with a boat pole.

skillett

Jun 11, 2009
Oxnard, Ca. U.S.A.
Name
Doug
Boat
25' Skipjack Sportsman
Went hooping recently and was ticketed for not filling out the location and gear codes prior to fishing.(no pen on the boat)...anyone know what the fine is for this infraction?

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
when you go to court make sure you bring an extra pair of shorts and some Vaseline with you.

an extra pair of shorts because when you hear what the the fine is your gonna shit. and the Vaseline because your going to get fucked and 2' and dry hurts.

this is why you don't pay the fine in the court room... they want to give you enough time to clean up before the fucking

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
okay the first thing you do before you even leave the dock is have your anchor out on the deck and ready to go into the water... that is most important

bail the salmon heads unless you just like to have the seals fucking with you all night.... unless you are out in the ocean with no seals, stay away form heads and whole fish... use macs, dines, or bonita.... in that order and keep it in small pieces... seals are looking for a meal not a snack.

use your fish finder to find some structure, when you find a spot you like, stop the boat so it isn't moving, don't throw the net out... hold it so it is flat and lower it into the water, give it line until you feel it hit the bottom. give it about six to eight feet of rope, this amount varies with how deep your nets are, secure your rope so you don't have loose rope floating around, light up your float and put it in the water, stay with it for a couple of min. to make sure it doesn't sink out or get carried away in the current before moving on. when pulling, remember as soon as they feel any movement they will be getting out of the net, so gently take up the slack and then just like setting a hook pull the net up, pull it as fast as possible and as straight up as possible, take a look in the net before putting it on the deck of the boat, a lot of times you will have eels in the net and they are nasty.. they bite everything they can if if they bite you, plan on two trips to the doctor, one that night to get it cleaned up and sewn up and another about a week later for the infection that you will get. wear gloves the rope is wet and slippery, it will also be throwing water all over so wear rain gear... when you grab the lobster, grab the body it will be moving it's tail fast and you will only grab it so that tail can touch you once. put the gauge between the fork between it's eyes and then lower it toward the tail, if it doesn't hit the body solidly, throw it back. 25 in this pull, you will get lots of stuff other than just lobsters. make sure everyone has a fishing license, report card filled out with everything except how many you got before you leave the dock, and everyone has their own gauge. put them in the bait tank or something similar, with NO water in it... throw in some kelp so they stay wet but no water, they will stay alive like this well into the next day.

make sure you secure your rope and light your float

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Went hooping recently and was ticketed for not filling out the location and gear codes prior to fishing.(no pen on the boat)...anyone know what the fine is for this infraction?
Google Ca DFW fines.I believe its page #139 $400.00
Good luck

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Google Ca DFW fines.I believe its page #139 $400.00
Good luck
$400!!!!!! Another reason to avoid hooping! Oh brother!

Reactions: Blackfish

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
What George said above with just a little twist. After you drop the hoop and it hits bottom, I like to pull it up a little and then lower it back down so it sits centered. Everyone has different thoughts on bait. I've been hooping this season using my old offshore carcasses. Still been slow for me this year though.

photo 8.JPG

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
when you go to court make sure you bring an extra pair of shorts and some Vaseline with you.

an extra pair of shorts because when you hear what the the fine is your gonna shit. and the Vaseline because your going to get fucked and 2' and dry hurts.

this is why you don't pay the fine in the court room... they want to give you enough time to clean up before the fucking
Cheaper to beat the shit out of someone and go to jail. The fish and game fines are ridiculous.

Reactions: Billyrat