newbie looking to book first long range trip

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by kcoon0702, Aug 22, 2016.

1. kcoon0702

kcoon0702 Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    topaz
    I have been trying for a couple years now to book my first long range trip and ni think I am finally ready. I have decided to go with a 6-8 day trip so now I have to choose a trip and boat . I am thinking that the fall season between sept and oct will be the time if the year that will work for me. I appreciate any info on boats and trips , thanks

2. Michael Hildebrand

Michael Hildebrand member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Any Long Range Boat
    Great Time to go and the boats RP Shogun Excel

bassbagger69 likes this.
  3. screamingreel

screamingreel Long Range Fanatic

Name:
    Jeff Burroughs
    Boat:
    Long Range and Private
    Welcome to our addiction Kevin!

6-8 days is great trip length to start. More days are always better if you have time and budget. The boats are all very good and everyone has their favorite(s). Select a trip that fits your schedule. Call their office to get a feel for the operation and customer service.

Their are 12 premier long range boats:
    1. American Angler
    2. Royal Star
    3. Royal Polaris
    4. Polaris Supreme
    5. Red Rooster 3
    6. Excel
    7. Shogun
    8. Vagabond
    9. Spirit of Adventure
    10. Searcher
    11. Independence
    12. Intrepid
    Ask any specific questions you have here and receive a multitude of responses and perspectives...

Enjoy your adventure!

- Jeff Burroughs

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    arkansastuna and FishRock like this.
  4. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Take the 8 days. More options, better pace, better areas to fish, more time to relax and learn. All of the boats have a loyal following. Pick one that fits your schedule and have a good time. Once you pick one you'll likely find someone on these boards on the same trip as you. I always go alone and always bump into people I know.

5. Mr GreenJeans

Mr GreenJeans Member

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Kayak
    Go 7 or 8 days if you possibly can. That will get you down to the Rocks or the Ridge. Beyond that, look at cost versus load. A higher cost generally yields a lighter load. Also consider the pros and cons of bigger boats versus smaller boats. Bigger boats tend to be more stable but usually go with a higher load and a longer rail. Smaller boats aren't quite as stable but usually have a lighter load with less rail length.

There are lots of variables and no perfect solution, so just take your best guess and go for it. Lots of good choices and it's really pretty hard to go wrong.

6. kcoon0702

kcoon0702 Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    topaz
    ok sounds great I will start calling around and getting a feel for the boats and there offices. I can see that the primary species that all of these boats focus on is YFT, Wahoo, Yellowtail, but what I don't see much about is bottom fish like grouper and bass. Is there a certain time of the year that certain boats target these bottom species as well the main offshore pelagics or is it just a hit or miss that the boat you are on will be in a certain area that holds these bottom dwellers. I am just looking for the most variety filled trip as possible that's all. thanks for all the replys.

7. RichG

RichG Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Richard G/
    Boat:
    none
    You are correct. Most will be targeting YFT, Wahoo and YT. Sometimes Dorado if they are around. Bottom fish is also a possibility, depending on the conditions and where the boat goes and what's biting.

8. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    I will echo that the longer trips and lighter loads do have many benefits. Less pressure and more time to get to know your fellow anglers. Socializing is a much bigger part of these trips than I had expected it to be. Though you do not have to talk with others if you don't want to, I highly advise it as you will learn a lot.

You are certainly on the right track for time frame and expectations. the reason you don't see much about grouper and bass is that they are usually a second tier objective. Most folks want to go after the pelagics before working on less mobile species. Really depends on what it available, biting and appeals to the anglers onboard.

Good luck!

9. afishenado

afishenado Newbie

Name:
    Gabe
    Boat:
    north river
    On a 6 or 8 day trip in august or September you will be targeting yf-bf-yt-wahoo and dorado. Trust me once you get a hold of of one of these fish you will forget about the bottom fish,You will go to the dark side. I Iike it there

10. carcass

carcass Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    scott
    Boat:
    None
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the long range boats. It may be just a level of luxury and price you are willing to pay that makes up your mind. Don't overthink it, find an opening an go!

RichG likes this.
  11. gved823

gved823 Member

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    Sold
    You'll get opportunities to fish for grouper, wsb, and other species after dinner if your boat anchors. Fish heavy.

12. alan760

alan760 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Alan
    Boat:
    American Angler
    Here is what I would do. Look at all the schedules, pick and choose 5-6 trips that look to fit your schedule and are 8-10 days. Have a short list of questions and give the office a call and discuss your questions. Let them now this is your first long trip and looking for a friendly group to go with, ask about any gear your may need to borrow, chartermaster, and what the group is like, etc etc. You should be able to narrow the list down from there. If you are thinking of going this year, you may be SOL and have to settle for your 3 or 4 choice. Most of the more popular trips sell out around Fred Hall if not before that. Good Luck, you'll be spoiled for life once you start long range.

RichG likes this.
  13. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Plenty of open spots on 8 day trips on the Angler. Penn trip has lots of demo gear and loaner tackle is available no charge on all trips. Call Lori 619-223-5414. Spots open on the Rooster, too.

14. kcoon0702

kcoon0702 Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    topaz
    thanks again for all this info, are there only certain boats that do LIMITED LOAD because it seems that not all boats run these trips. Also what is the normal amount of time that one should think about booking a trip in advance. Another ? is about Guadalupe island, is there certain boats that have the permits to fish here and if so should that be a determining fact in choosing a boat.

Let em eat 74 likes this.
  15. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    Sometimes the boats stop for freezer fish on the way home.

16. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Kevin, is this trip for 2016 or next year?

17. walkerman

walkerman I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    n/a
    A couple of thoughts. An 8 or 10 day trip requires quite a large quiver of rods and reels and a shitload terminal tackle. Can you get it together in time.
    I suspect the prime trips for this fall have been booked. It might be wiser to wait a year and spend some quality time at Fred Hall this winter and go to the LR booths and meet and speak to the folks there to make a good choice. Also, sometimes it is easier to start with a five day trip. Just a thought.

18. Lake

Lake I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Blaine Lake
    Boat:
    none
    Pretty much all long range trips are limited loads. The bigger boats- RP, Excel- carry 35 and 33 max. The others max their loads at less. There are also some ultra limited loads that do cost more. The amount of anglers they carry is usually very fishable and comfortable.

As far as advance booking, some trips are sold out before they become available to the general public as the boats typically offer first choice to the anglers on that trip, and many book next year as they get off. If you watch, some spots will open up throughout the year as some guys have to drop out. You can call the office and put yourself on a wait list for those trips so you get first shot at those. As Steve mentioned the AA and RRIII both have open trips right now for the fall. Both are high quality, popular operations with loyal clientele and great crews.

As of right now, three boats have permits to fish Guadalupe- the RP, RS, and Shogun. Several other boats have applied and are currently waiting on permits so the number will probably grow. For your first trip, you should just figure out what time frame you have and book a trip without worrying where you will go. Eight days will give you plenty of time to fish good areas, and you'll most likely end up with phenomenal fishing and want to come back for more.

RichG likes this.
  19. Steve K

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    I disagree. Pick a trip and sign up. Whether you have free loaner tackle or have to pay some to rent it is not a factor. Obviously when you book the spot and arrange for rods and reels, the office personnel will be available to discuss terminal tackle as well, if not right now, a call back from one of the captains. What they don't have in the way of tackle, you can order online or pick up in San Diego the day before the trip from one of many fine tackle shops. Pack a bag and get on the boat!

Otis2527, arkansastuna and RichG like this.
  20. kcoon0702

kcoon0702 Newbie

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    topaz
    this trip is gonna be for next year