RichG

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Wow, that a find. All the single hooked jigs are good four wahoo. Just make sure you sharpen the hooks. You could leave ½ of the blue and whites home. You have what appears to be 5 Hopkins jig, good for wahoo, old school. Take a couple. The treble hooks jigs, I’d take them for yellowtail. The swivels are a great variety. Put the corks on the jig hooks, especially if the rod is in the rack. Avoids getting stuck with a hook.

You might want a few more Captain Jimmy bombs. I’d double up on the colors you have. Go to his web site, you get a price break on 6. Get a couple of purple/black. I usually have a dozen. You will lose a lot.

Hooks. Good supply, but I don’t see a lot of ringed circle hooks. 2/0 and 4/0. 4x wire. Remember Mustad 3/0 demon equals 2/0 Owner super mutu. You need some smaller hook as well. Like #1 or#2. If the bait is small. The boat should have them.

A few Sabiki bait catchers. And sinkers.

Those Newell 338 are a good 30 pound reel. Don’t know how old that mono is. Have some one check it out before you pit it on a reel.

Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
Royal Star, Polaris Supreme
Here is my rod list...

Shimano Backbone series: BB-R 24kg 5'7" Reel TLD II 50 80# mono, line is not done yet

BB-R 15kg 5'7" Reel TLD II 50 60# maomi diamond

Calstar GFTR 765L 6'6" 30-80 Reel TLD II 30 Izorline XXX 50#

Fenwick Seahawk: SO 870C 15-40 7' Reel options Trinidad 40, 16
TLD 20
SO 270C 12-30 7' Newell S 338-5

Ugly stick black tiger BTBWC 2201 20-50 7'

Sabre CA6570 5'6" 30-80 Currently has a 4/0 senator, trade to TLD II 30
Line likely 50# Izorline XXX

I have a rod I built myself, I put a diamond wrap above the grip and can not remember the blank number. It is 6'6" and has a TLD II 30 with 85# braid topped with 100 yards of 50# mono. This is the rod I used the most on my last trip in 2000. I mostly fished bait with it and have caught tuna up to 135# on it.

I feel like I have good gear for light tuna and yellowtail fishing as well as the heavier gear for trolling and bigger tuna. I feel I am missing the middle a little bit. I ordered a Phenix PSW 809 H. I am not sure which reel I am going to put on it. I figure I will throw wahoo bombs with it. It may get my Trinidad 40.

Any holes you think I need to fill? Am I missing something obvious? I know the boat will have rods to use. I am just thinking I will need this gear more in the future.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
There were no wahoo bombs in my garage sale find. I picked up 3 captain jimmy's and had one left over from 20 years ago. Will this be enough to get by on this trip?

View attachment 1203419
Me personally, I want at least 2 of every color, what you have is a good starter kit. But if any one of those are the hot color, you definitely want replacement's for them! I love captain Jimmy bombs! But JRI makes a great direct tie bomb too, if you get to San diego a day before you're trip, stop at anglers choice. It's very close too the landing off of Rosecrans. They always have a good selection of JRI bombs! Plus grab a couple mint pearl JRI 66 jigs for yoyo yellowtail fishing. You wont regret it, made of brass and they sink fast, that is almost always my go to yellowtail yoyo jig! Good luck on you're trip!

Reactions: RichG

shellback

Dec 18, 2003
templeton/morro bay
Visit site
Name
shellback
Boat
other peoples
you scored some good stuff. izor xxx mono is very good- in fact i would suggest you buy new xxx as he age of the garage sale stuff is unk.
glass rods are fine. dont let anybody bullshit you into buying the latest and greatest.

Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
Thanks shellback, the Izorline I just purchased, it was not part of the garage sale stuff. The 50# Maomi on the TLD 50 has never been in the water but I expect it is about 17 years old. I know it has been indoors the whole time. I am probably being cheap by not changing it. I may change my mind before I go. I will pull some off and check it. Worse case is I lose a good fish and buy boat line

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
Thanks shellback, the Izorline I just purchased, it was not part of the garage sale stuff. The 50# Maomi on the TLD 50 has never been in the water but I expect it is about 17 years old. I know it has been indoors the whole time. I am probably being cheap by not changing it. I may change my mind before I go. I will pull some off and check it. Worse case is I lose a good fish and buy boat line
Dump any mono that is more than a couple years old. I have had spools of mono go bad over 2 years just sitting in a cabinet in the garage. No heat or sun. Not worth the risk just to save a couple of bucks.

On the flip side I have a spool of 80# spectra that is right at 20 years old and it is still in good condition.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Edited my earlier reply, I had the wrong boat. You’ll really enjoy the Supreme. I’ll repeat this, call the office, tackle talk. And here’s the best part about loaner tackle, you get to sample new technologies without spending the money. After the trip, you’ll be a lot more familiar with the newer stuff that’s available.

I don’t see too many TLD reels being used much any more and don’t think I’ve seen anybody use a TLD50 with 50 lb mono. The line is too light for trolling and the reel is too big for bait fishing. I’m sure there are anglers out there that would love to own those TLD50’s, I would sell them and buy something newer. Just me.

Interesting to see all those single hooks on the Blue/White jigs, the 7X. Are they heavies or light? Heavy good for Wahoo, light for surface iron for Yellowtail. Rods for Wahoo Bombs and jigs for me, 6’6” or 7’. Rated 30-80 ring guides. Consider spooling up your Trinidad 40 with that 50 lb mono from the TLD50.

Last edited:

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
So much equipment talk so I will just add some of the fish limits and planning for what to keep. On any long range trip you get only 3 days fish limits ( Mexican waters fishing limits = 30 fish total, but only 15 max of a single species).

Basically 5 fish per day of any species X 3 days = 15 fish

It gets more complicated if you keep dorado and or a billfish. Plus more if you are fishing in both Mexican wateers and US waters on the same trip. Will not deal with that in this thread - somone else can chome in or you can look that up later

You will get your fish tag numbers at the start of the trip. Before you go, think about what species fish you want to bring home - is there a priority species.

For me it is wahoo. Max would be 15 wahoo. Problem is if I tag 15 yellowfin and 15 yellowtail before I get to wahoo country, I can not keep any wahoo. I am already at my 30 fish max limit. So one will have to NOT USE SOME TAGS and keep them for your target fish. Yes it is possible to NOT USE ALL your tags when doing this.

Plan ahead is what you need to think about.

Another issue is this: Multi day trip = plenty fishing time. If you hit football sized tuna, will you use a tag on it or not. Been on ridge trips where I threw back lots of SMALL YFT - turned out they were the only YFT for that trip. Keep hoping for better on later days and it never came.

So you also have to think about what size species you will or won't tag.

yellowtail = 10
yellowfin tuna = 10
wahoo = 10
and you are limited out and you do not have 15 wahoo

but then there are various bottom fish on these trips too
big sheepshead ( good eating )
blue fin tuna
grouper
possible white sea bass

So think about what you want, how much you want, etc.

When back at the docks, no more trade for cans. But there are now fish processors who are waiting at the landing, take your fish, do a great job of filleting them.

If you live far away, make a reservation to have your fish done first thing. they only have a few of these spots each morning. They fill up. book ahead. This way your fish will be done by about 11am after you drop them off at 7 am. Vaccum sealed and fresh. You are out of town early on the road or plane. They will also air freight your fish to you.

You can pick fish up days - up to 60 - days after trip and get rock solid frozen fish. They also smoke fish and Jerky fish

here are 3 contacts for processors - there are more out there

Fisherman’s Processingwww.fishermansprocessing.com
Sportsman’s Seafoodwww.sportsmensseafood.com
Five Star Fish Processing – www.fivestarfishprocessingservices.com

feeder

I gaff sardines....
Jun 20, 2006
Too far inland
Name
Greg
Boat
Intrepid
Tie off onto a trailer hitch or tree and put a bend in your rod with the old mono with your reel at the drag you intend to fish. If it is rotted it will snap pretty easily. I wouldn't trust it after 17 years even if it was inside the house though. The real cost is the downtime while your reel needs to be re-spooled during a hot bite. Make sure to have a trusted backup rig that you can use if this happens.

Reactions: shellback
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
So much equipment talk so I will just add some of the fish limits and planning for what to keep. On any long range trip you get only 3 days fish limits ( Mexican waters fishing limits = 30 fish total, but only 15 max of a single species).

Basically 5 fish per day of any species X 3 days = 15 fish

It gets more complicated if you keep dorado and or a billfish. Plus more if you are fishing in both Mexican wateers and US waters on the same trip. Will not deal with that in this thread - somone else can chome in or you can look that up later

You will get your fish tag numbers at the start of the trip. Before you go, think about what species fish you want to bring home - is there a priority species.

For me it is wahoo. Max would be 15 wahoo. Problem is if I tag 15 yellowfin and 15 yellowtail before I get to wahoo country, I can not keep any wahoo. I am already at my 30 fish max limit. So one will have to NOT USE SOME TAGS and keep them for your target fish. Yes it is possible to NOT USE ALL your tags when doing this.

Plan ahead is what you need to think about.

Another issue is this: Multi day trip = plenty fishing time. If you hit football sized tuna, will you use a tag on it or not. Been on ridge trips where I threw back lots of SMALL YFT - turned out they were the only YFT for that trip. Keep hoping for better on later days and it never came.

So you also have to think about what size species you will or won't tag.

yellowtail = 10
yellowfin tuna = 10
wahoo = 10
and you are limited out and you do not have 15 wahoo

but then there are various bottom fish on these trips too
big sheepshead ( good eating )
blue fin tuna
grouper
possible white sea bass

So think about what you want, how much you want, etc.

When back at the docks, no more trade for cans. But there are now fish processors who are waiting at the landing, take your fish, do a great job of filleting them.

If you live far away, make a reservation to have your fish done first thing. they only have a few of these spots each morning. They fill up. book ahead. This way your fish will be done by about 11am after you drop them off at 7 am. Vaccum sealed and fresh. You are out of town early on the road or plane. They will also air freight your fish to you.

You can pick fish up days - up to 60 - days after trip and get rock solid frozen fish. They also smoke fish and Jerky fish

here are 3 contacts for processors - there are more out there

Fisherman’s Processingwww.fishermansprocessing.com
Sportsman’s Seafoodwww.sportsmensseafood.com
Five Star Fish Processing – www.fivestarfishprocessingservices.com
Thank you for bringing this up Roadrunner, I wondered what people did and if the limits were a concern. I will be OK if I don't use every tag. We have a reservation for fish processing. 30 large fish can get expensive to process.

As for what fish I would like to keep, I would burn the extra to keep a few Mahi Mahi if they are decent size. Maybe four so that would leave me with 20 fish left. If it was half tuna and half wahoo that would be perfect. I will keep a couple yellowtail but not many. We catch plenty of bottom fish here in Oregon so I wouldn't burn points on them except a big sheepshead.

I try not to think about this part to much. It is like filling your livewell in a bass tournament before you catch your first fish. It is just bad luck.

My fly down fly back trip 20 years ago I would have been well short of a limit. I brought back 8 yellowfin from 65-135 lbs and 8 big wahoo up to 70 lbs. I brought all that fish home whole. We had one hell of a fish cutting party when I got home. I had friends show up that I had not seen in months. Everyone left with fresh fish and I still had more than I could eat.

Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
Edited my earlier reply, I had the wrong boat. You’ll really enjoy the Supreme. I’ll repeat this, call the office, tackle talk. And here’s the best part about loaner tackle, you get to sample new technologies without spending the money. After the trip, you’ll be a lot more familiar with the newer stuff that’s available.

I don’t see too many TLD reels being used much any more and don’t think I’ve seen anybody use a TLD50 with 50 lb mono. The line is too light for trolling and the reel is too big for bait fishing. I’m sure there are anglers out there that would love to own those TLD50’s, I would sell them and buy something newer. Just me.

Interesting to see all those single hooks on the Blue/White jigs, the 7X. Are they heavies or light? Heavy good for Wahoo, light for surface iron for Yellowtail. Rods for Wahoo Bombs and jigs for me, 6’6” or 7’. Rated 30-80 ring guides. Consider spooling up your Trinidad 40 with that 50 lb mono from the TLD50.

Good idea on the 50# on the TLD 50. I will pull some off and see how much memory it has. Then I will break it with a scale and if it is good I might use it on some smaller reels. I will use up the new Izorline 50 first though.

Most of the Blue/White 7x are light, only one of them is heavy. I will make sure the heavy one is in the box.

Peg North

Peripatetic
May 22, 2009
West Sacramento CA
Name
"Buggywhip"
Boat
Slow Poke
I like to practice casting at the park with hookless jigs. Also I practice underhand in the back yard with various sizes of banana peels. Get out on a windy day and practice casting into the wind. Then I’m not as backlashy when the trip starts. Have a wonderful time!

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
First off, "welcome back" to the best dark side.

Second, my disclaimer / admission that I too can't resist a good garage sale find. And I have a hard time letting go of gear, so after 40+ years of collecting it takes up 2 rooms. So I do not stand in judgement.

My feedback is that... after your great treasure chest purchase, you are now trying to "build down"....fill in slots; rather than "build up." What I mean is....for any trip, for anyone new starting out, I always make the checklist, and prioritize it. It's the old "if you had to buy one rig, what would it be?" And this aligns with what the boat captains usually say for upcoming trips. "Bring your 40 lb 2 speed. Bring your 50. Bring your 80." etc

So, the "bottom up" approach might look something like this, as a bare minimum:

1. 25/30 lb bait rig (single speed ok, 7 - 8 ft rod)
2. 40 lb bait rig, small 2 speed, 7 - 8 ft rod)
3. 50/60 lb bait/sinker rig, double as medium iron / dropper loop etc.

But only after these slots are filled, worry about / spend money on a true 100 / 130 lb rig (besides, these are classic loaner rigs on a LR boat).

In your long list of stuff, I'm not seeing a small 2 speed. That is pretty much essential. The 765L matches up with 40 / 50, but for my preference is a tad short for a (tuna) bait rod. How tall are you? Do you have long arms, or are you a shorty like me?

My suggestion, fwiw, would be to figure out a way to acquire the #2 rig; the "budget" combo would be something like a Fathom 25N2 matched with a Rainshadow RCJB84XH ($230 @ charkbait).

And if the budget still allows, get the #3 rig; the next step up... a Fathom 40NLD2, with a Rainshadow RCJB84XXH.

You could consider selling some of that gear.... one of the TLDs, some of the iron jigs, and the SKB box, to put towards a new rig. (I kind of have a rule with myself that I sell off gear, before buying any new reel / rod blanks. I don't always honor it :-o ) I bet you could even find a 'trade' deal here on BD. Also, find out if any of your fishing friends have the small / medium 2 speeds to borrow. And of course, in addition to loaner big rigs, the boat can probably set you up with the 40 & 60 lb rigs; just be sure to arrange for that early on.....and then double-check in the days before departure that they still have you listed for the loaner rigs.

Good luck, and be sure to write a report at least half as long as your garage sale list!

Reactions: Shooter
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
First off, "welcome back" to the best dark side.

Second, my disclaimer / admission that I too can't resist a good garage sale find. And I have a hard time letting go of gear, so after 40+ years of collecting it takes up 2 rooms. So I do not stand in judgement.

My feedback is that... after your great treasure chest purchase, you are now trying to "build down"....fill in slots; rather than "build up." What I mean is....for any trip, for anyone new starting out, I always make the checklist, and prioritize it. It's the old "if you had to buy one rig, what would it be?" And this aligns with what the boat captains usually say for upcoming trips. "Bring your 40 lb 2 speed. Bring your 50. Bring your 80." etc

So, the "bottom up" approach might look something like this, as a bare minimum:

1. 25/30 lb bait rig (single speed ok, 7 - 8 ft rod)
2. 40 lb bait rig, small 2 speed, 7 - 8 ft rod)
3. 50/60 lb bait/sinker rig, double as medium iron / dropper loop etc.

But only after these slots are filled, worry about / spend money on a true 100 / 130 lb rig (besides, these are classic loaner rigs on a LR boat).

In your long list of stuff, I'm not seeing a small 2 speed. That is pretty much essential. The 765L matches up with 40 / 50, but for my preference is a tad short for a (tuna) bait rod. How tall are you? Do you have long arms, or are you a shorty like me?

My suggestion, fwiw, would be to figure out a way to acquire the #2 rig; the "budget" combo would be something like a Fathom 25N2 matched with a Rainshadow RCJB84XH ($230 @ charkbait).

And if the budget still allows, get the #3 rig; the next step up... a Fathom 40NLD2, with a Rainshadow RCJB84XXH.

You could consider selling some of that gear.... one of the TLDs, some of the iron jigs, and the SKB box, to put towards a new rig. (I kind of have a rule with myself that I sell off gear, before buying any new reel / rod blanks. I don't always honor it :-o ) I bet you could even find a 'trade' deal here on BD. Also, find out if any of your fishing friends have the small / medium 2 speeds to borrow. And of course, in addition to loaner big rigs, the boat can probably set you up with the 40 & 60 lb rigs; just be sure to arrange for that early on.....and then double-check in the days before departure that they still have you listed for the loaner rigs.

Good luck, and be sure to write a report at least half as long as your garage sale list!
Again, this is all very good advice. I have already started part of your Idea. I have a Phenix PSW 809 H coming as well as a penn fathom 25 two speed reel.

The two shimano rods are perfect for the TLD 50 II. They will be great for trolling or possibly fishing chunks or bigger live baits like mackerel. I am kinda stuck on these. If I fill them up with straight mono ( 80, 100, or 130 ) I may not use them and it would be a lot of money in line that will be no good for my next trip. If I fill them with spectra at least the line could last for years. How do you fill these big reels with spectra? All the way to the spool or do you put on backing, and if you put on backing how do you know how much?

The easy answer would be to just use the boat gear. This is not bad advice. But the two heavy set ups are quality and I hope to do more of this in the future.

Reactions: effigy

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
On those 50 reel . Here’s my two cent. If you are not sure you will use them or keep them Then just replace the mono, it’s cheaper than braided line. Once you start to strip the like, who knows there might be braid under the mono. If you definitely want to keep them and there is no braid on the spool, think of what you’ll be using it for. I’d keep room for 100 yards of mono, especially for trolling. If you have 500 plus yards of braid you are fine, expect if you are going to use it for a kite set up. You’ll want more line, but I still would have 100 yards of mono.

If you prefer to or decide to add more braid, you can always splice some on. On my heavy reels I’ll strip off 100 yards of.braid and add fresh braid after heavy use. Hollow core makes it easy to splice.

Just set one up this year and see what you do. On a ten day trip, you’ll most likely use it for trolling and a dropped loop. Chunk if you are into cow tuna, but not likely on a 10 day.

Roadrunner

Oct 3, 2004
San Diego
Name
John Gleaves
Boat
20 foot, Westcoaster, Roadrunner
one DODO advice comment. Try , if you can, to not catch them early in the trip. they stay in the RSW longer so meat is not tip quality but more important is that early dodo will be buried under much weight of later fish and get squished.

But, waiting too long.....then you do risk not finding them later on.

Note: current fishing off of Ensenda area and Calif have been producing MANY SMALL dodo and yellowtail. FYI in case they stop on a paddy in "local-ish" waters on the way down

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
I see you have lots of jigs for wahoo. I haven't read a lot of this post, but did anyone mention wired bait leaders for wahoo? I've been on trips where the hoo were all over the jigs, and others where they rarely ate a jig. But if you flylined a bait out there they were all over it. And a couple of years ago, in my case, I went on a 7 day with a couple of cracked ribs...the first time I tried to sling a jig on a wahoo stop I thought I was going to pass out from the pain and I started fishing baits on wire leaders. It turned out that not many hoo were ever hooked on jigs on that trip, but I landed 14 in 2 days fishing bait, lost a few on bait, and handed off a few. The boats will normally have wired leaders on board that you can buy, or just get them from the landing or one of the other tackle shops close by...if you can't/don't want to build them yourself.

Have fun dude...I can't believe that tackle box you scored!

DMcD

Reactions: Peg North
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
The wahoo I caught 20 years ago were all bait fish. Only a few of the fish for the entire boat were caught on bombs or jigs. I did pick up some titanium leaders and there is plenty of wire in my box to make more.

Sf_Montauk_17

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 20, 2016
San Francisco
Name
Steven Ng
Boat
1977 Boston Whaler Montauk 17
The box is decent but it is completely full. Is there typically room for a second box in the gear area or do you guys keep your extra tackle in your stateroom? Also I would like to add rod tubes to the side of this box. Should I contact the box manufacturer or are those things general home built?

View attachment 1203399
My friend added rubber feets for a piano on the bottom of his SKB box.. it's nice.. avoid any water running below the boxes.. some boats have small metal shelf and the SkB boxes recess a little to far down where you can only open the door partially.. i would second on getting a trinidad.. i love the 20's.. i filled mine with power pro max quattro.. i got 650 yards of 65#.. it fly lines very nice.

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Desperate - Since you are in southern Oregon, here's a thought:

You have a "very prominent" rod builder nearby; Jake (goes by Cow Man here on BD). You can see a lot of his work on the rodbuilding forum, and the classifieds. Whether it's for this next trip, or other future trips....as you consider different rods, it's a great opportunity to visit with a rod builder who also fishes SD, and specializes in LR rod building. Jake is such a person. He is sure to have many examples built, of UC & Rainshadow rods of all line weights, that you can hold / pull on with his guidance.