Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
Royal Star, Polaris Supreme
I am not a complete newbie but I am new to this site and my last long range trip was a fly down fly back trip on the royal star in 1999. I am sure a lot of things have changed since then and I have lots of questions. Thanks in advance for your replies and time.

My friend has talked me into going on the Polaris Supreme on a 10 day trip Nov 2-12. I have had 4 total weeks of vacations cancelled this year due to covid. This seemed like a great way to spend my time and get some fish for the freezer. I understand they have limits now. Probably a good idea, how do they work? Is the limit the same for a 10 day trip as a 4 day trip? I hear there is a point system. What are the points and how do you like to spend them?

Speaking of covid, what are the boats doing? I bought a couple of the sun cover style mask. I am not sure I can wear it for ten days straight though. The election will happen while we are out to sea, maybe the rules will change by then.

I am pretty well set on tackle. I recently picked up the deal of the century at a yard sale. I got 5 reels (Shimano TLD II 50,30,20 and Trinidad 40 & 16), 5 rods (shimano and fenwick) and a Roto molded tackle box (SKB) that is absolutely loaded with hooks, 30 plus Irons (salas, tady, etc), Wire and tools that I don't know how to use, and a lifetime supply of swivels and connectors. I thought I had plenty of gear from my trips 20 years ago. I opened up that box this weekend and it doesn't have 1/10th the gear as my yard sale find. In case you are curious I got all this for $1200

The line on the reels looks like it has never been used. The reels are marked with line weights and such. My older tackle needs line. This is where I feel things have really changed over the years. One of my old rods has a TLD II 30 with 85# braid and 100 yards of 50# mono. Other than that it is all Ande and Maxima mono (I am sure this is dating me : ) What do you guys recommend for brands of mono and braid? I am sure there are hundreds of opinions on line alone.

Thanks for welcoming me here and thanks for your replies in advance

nicodemus

Fish, he said softly, aloud. I’ll stay with you...
Apr 10, 2012
The 505
Name
Nick B
Boat
African Queen
"I understand they have limits now." I would guess that line there probably dates your more than the brands of mono! I can't imagine going out not having limits.
Limits - for 3-days or longer, total max of 30 fish, no more than 15 of any species. Except...dorado. Dorado are 2 fish equal 5 out of your limit. So six dorado would equal half your trip limit of 30 fish.
Have not heard of "points."
Covid, I'd call the boat itself, some may differ from others.
As far as gear, I'm more of newbie than you, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers.
Have a great trip!

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
On my first trip on the royal star I brought home 32 bluefin. That was in the 90's. I filled two large ice chest with the smaller fish and traded 800+ lbs for can tuna. At the time it was 6 lbs of whole fish for one can. Do they still trade whole tuna for canned tuna?

Warlord

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 7, 2005
Granada Hills, CA
Name
Steve
Boat
22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
There’s no trading for cans any longer. That went away with the Albacore.

Phil

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 5, 2006
Mississippi
Name
Phil
Boat
n/a
Welcome back!!

We have a great group of long range regulars here who will fill in more of your questions. I made my first long range trip in 1999 and fished Fall 10-day trips with a handful of shorter summer trips for a few years. Increased work demands and other interests reduced me down to just one trip in the last six years. Just retired at the beginning of this year and getting back into the swing of things with a 10-day trip next month. So, in a way, I'm going through a similar learning curve.

Fishing is still fishing - pick a good bait, pin it on the hook and get it away from the boat. That has not changed. What has changed - in my humble opinion - is the sophistication of the equipment and advancement of the methods used by many anglers. For example, you ask about favorite brand of monofiliment line. Not sure you'll find a great deal of discussion on that topic around here today. Quite a few anglers have shifted to a spool full of spectra and only use a very short mono or (more likely) fluorocarbon top shot for fishing bait. A 40-lb outfit that used to have a 300 yards of mono now might only have 5-15 yards backed by 500 yards of spectra. Makes it much easier for the bait to swim without pulling a bunch of mono through the water behind it. Bait action is the key, but there are other advantages as well.

On the hardware side - all the old reels work great just as they did 20 years ago. Today there are so many new options for reels with the same or better power and ability to get a fish on the boat but are smaller and lighter than your old Shimano TLD 30II. On the rod side, quite a bit of fishing is now being done with rods longer than you will remember with rail fishing enabling the use of 7 to 8+ foot rods and technology enabling lighter rod blanks and components. The use of spectra plays a role in this - don't need near the spool volume to hold a few hundred yards compared to mono and the reel manufacturers have responded.

For me, it has been interesting to get back into this style of fishing. Other changes that were easy to note are an increase in the use of spinning reels - I remember the first time I saw a "coffee grinder" on a long range boat. At the time, a couple of my fellow anglers looked at the guy with some disdain as if to say '... you can't fish out here with one of those...' The idea of slow-pitch jigging using equipment which looks "different" seems to be gaining ground. The amazing bluefin fishery around San Diego the last few years is driving some change like with flat fall jigs. I never heard of a flat fall jig when I started - its fun to learn new things and figure out how to incorporate into your arsenal of tackle.

Welcome back - have a great trip in November. Please remember to post a report when you return. Would be very interesting for me to hear what you find different and what is the same.

Great find on all the gear - I echo the recommendation to change all the mono. Who knows how long it has been on the reels and under what conditions it was stored. You guys could get into just about anything during an early November 10-day, no need to be disappointed by some easily replaced line.

Good Luck!

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
First of all, I’ll echo Phil, welcome back. Don’t know rod models but I think your Fenwicks are all E-Glass, Shimano, no help here. I would be filling that Trini 40 with 50 lb mono for jig fishing, Wahoo as well as YoYo for Yellowtail. Get that Trini 16 filled with 50 lb braid and use it with fluorocarbon topshots, 25-30 lb. One of your TLD’s for trolling if you have or plan to buy a Nomad DTX for the Wahoo. The TLD20II filled with 80 lb braid was the go to for 50 lb topshots of fluorocarbon for me for many years. Check reels for freespool, you’re going to want them to spin. Check drags, probably with a scale, see what you have.

Terminal tackle? Spread your tackle out and put up some pictures. Know that the boat can probably take care of all your hooks needed if you don’t have the “right ones.

Also the model names of the Shimano rods and ratings on the Fenwicks. OK, that’s enough for now. And call the office, probably get Susan. Ask for a callback if none of the guys are in. Tommy or Alec will call you, time for tackle talk.

Last edited:

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
Welcome back... I to echo the comments by Phil and Steve K. First the masks: Just wear one to be safe since social distancing can be difficult with a hot bit. You can wash one when you shower and rotate them.

You made a great find. However, unless you know the person you bought the reels from, I agree with stripping all the line, plus I would have all the reels, that you are thinking of using serviced. Even your older ones.

Braided line has made it much nicer to have smaller, lighter reels, with line capacity. imagine 400 yards of line on a small reel. So the decision is which brand, hollow or solid? You'll get a different opinion from everyone, with good justification. Also multiple opinions on the brand of Mono and Flurocarbon.

If you haven't fished braid, it can be challenging. The braid "birds-nest" are a real bitch. So how's your casting ability. Once you get the hang of casting raid, you can go to shorter top-shots. Personally, I could never get the hang of casting a TLD. Also braid must be put on the reel really tight. In a fight it can get buried in the spool and then "Pop" if it is too loose.

So in the beginning. I suggest you use a longer top shot, say 50 to 100 yards. I know some guys that still use straight mono for casting jigs. You can learn a "Seaguar" knot to attach the mono to flurocarbon, say 3 to 6 feet of flurocarbon for bait fishing.

Personally I like hollow braid on my my 60 pound gear and up. I do a loop-to-loop connection with 20 feet of flurocarbon. On the lighter set ups to me it doesn't matter, I just attach with a "Bob Sands" knot, since I am comfortable tying it. Others will use the "Pena" (with is similar to the Sans), FG or RP knot. They all work fine. Just master one and make sure you pull it really tight. I even bought some knot pullers to get a better grip. As you pull a braid to mono or fluro knot tight you'll see the braid change colors, then it's tight.

On a trolling rig you would want 50 to 100 yards of mono. There is an interesting tread on trolling set ups on this forum. https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/trolling-long-range.756812/#post-5236420. You can always use the boat set up and not have to worry.

As I suggested I'd have all the reels services and new line put on. In fact, I suggest you send them to someone that knows about SD Long range fishing. There are several shops in So. Cal that are good and they can set them up. You can pick them up on your way down.

I agree, send us some pictures of the jigs, etc. Just don't over crowd the picture since our eyes are getting old.

Welcome back to our addition. Find what you personally feel comfortable with and try it. It is a constant learning curve.

Rich.

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
All great information, I can't thank you guys enough. When I get home tonight I will take some pictures of the gear and post it up. It all looks pretty new, much of it I am clueless when or how I would use it.

Flat falls for bluefin, this is new to me and I have no idea what it is, could someone please explain.

My casting ability...RUSTY! When I was 13 years old (1978) my parents use to take me down and stick me on overnight fishing trips to catalina island. They got a night on the town and I got to fish, it was a win-win. Well when you are 13 you have to be cool and spinning rods are not cool so I took my penn squider filled with 20 lb maxima, tied on a small lead weight and learned to cast. We moved to Oregon when I was 15 and I took up bass fishing so I spent years fishing tournaments with baitcasters. I am sure I will be fine once on the boat, hopefully no one is watching my first few cast till I get the hang of it.

Someone mentioned freespool and that is the most important thing I learned when on my long range trips 20 years ago. Certain reels just will not cast a bait. The TLD's seem ok for this. But my newell reel was by far the best, even a small sardine could be cast far enough away from the boat. Unfortunately the only newel reel I have is the size of a jigmaster. It will be fine for tuna up to 40 lbs but that is about it. Someone mentioned that a bait can swim better with braid, I had not thought about that advantage and I can see how that might help a guy get bit.

I am sure the loaner tackle on the boat is good quality. Still I want to own my own stuff. I am going to retire in 3 years and move from Oregon to Arizona. When I live 5 hours from San Diego I am sure I will do more trips, especially the 3-4 day variety in the summer. I think I am going to buy one more rod before this trip. I have my eye on a Phenix 809 xhj to put the trinidad 40 on for throwing wahoo bombs. I will get pictures and rod numbers tonight as well so you guys can let me know which holes to fill first. Thanks Again

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
If you can cast a Newell, you’ll love the Trinidad. Get your Newell serviced. They are still gear reels. As I recall the 500 series is the size of a jig master. The 533 5.5 is a good wahoo reel as well.

I’d suggest you go on an Accurate, Avet, etc sponsored trip and try the newer two speed reels. The star drag is coming back. Accurate tern is designed after the Newell, I was told. Avet makes one as well.

Watch out, you’ll start spending more $$$

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
"Watch out, you'll start spending more $$$"

Boy, that ship has already sailed! Luckily a lot of the money I am spending now is refunds from cancelled vacations. Just got a 875.00 credit for a cancelled VRBO....oh what to buy what to buy

Reactions: RichG

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
I was asked to post up some pictures of my gear. Look it over and let me know what you would add. Off hand the things I noticed were there are no wire crimps or pliers. Plenty of wire though. I ordered some 130# FC to go with the 80 and 50 in the box. I can't imagine needing more hooks, on top of the the plastic boxes there are several bags of duplicates. I definitely do not need any more blue and white casting irons! I will post the picture in different post so you can attach the picture with your comments.

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
The box is decent but it is completely full. Is there typically room for a second box in the gear area or do you guys keep your extra tackle in your stateroom? Also I would like to add rod tubes to the side of this box. Should I contact the box manufacturer or are those things general home built?

BD BOX.jpg

Reactions: Sf_Montauk_17

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
That’s a SKB. Looks like the large box. Are there screw holes on the sides to attach rocket launchers? You can contact SKB in Orange County and get the specifics. There is a current thread on BD on the rocket launchers. You might want to elevate the box one inch so the door can lay flat when open. I think the newer boxes have grooves on the sides for the launchers. And yes there should be room for a secondary box or keep extra tackle in your room.

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
There are several 40# top shots that are mono connected to a short piece of braid with a loop. Would you tie a loop on the end of your braid and uses these as packaged or cut off the loop and attach the mono directly to the braid with a FG knot?

BD TOP SHOTS.jpg

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
If you can cast a Newell, you’ll love the Trinidad. Get your Newell serviced. They are still gear reels. As I recall the 500 series is the size of a jig master. The 533 5.5 is a good wahoo reel as well.

I’d suggest you go on an Accurate, Avet, etc sponsored trip and try the newer two speed reels. The star drag is coming back. Accurate tern is designed after the Newell, I was told. Avet makes one as well.

Watch out, you’ll start spending more $$$
The 500 is larger diameter Rich. But many good reels like you suggest.

RichG

Jan 20, 2007
California
Name
Richard G/
Boat
none
On those BHP 40 pound wind on, I’m not sure of the mono. Not sure how old they are. BHP does quality work, you might want to contact them to see if he can tell you to use it out not. The blue label Seaguar should be fine.

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
I think this is to many irons, I likely will leave several home and get a few of the latest and greatest. I am open for suggestions here. There are a few raiders here, I see those mentioned often. I now realize flat falls are a lure, I thought that was a technique. If I get some what color and size?

BD JIGS.jpg

BD OLD JIGS.jpg

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
I bought this box without hardly looking it over. I couldn't buy the box empty for what I paid for it all. My jaw dropped when I opened this box. It has more swivels and connectors than I can use in a lifetime. I have never seen this style of swivel connector. They look beefy. I have 3 different sizes about 20 of each. Does anyone use them?

BD TERMINAL GEAR.jpg

BD SWIVELS.jpg

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
The hooks are very organized and there were several bags and boxes of extras. There wasn't much under 1/0. I have smaller hooks down to number 4's but I likely wont need them on my 10 day trip

BD BAIT HOOKS.jpg

BD GAMAGATSU HOOKS.jpg

Reactions: Peg North

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
There were no wahoo bombs in my garage sale find. I picked up 3 captain jimmy's and had one left over from 20 years ago. Will this be enough to get by on this trip?

BD BOMBS.jpg

Desperatehills

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 16, 2020
Southern Oregon
Name
James S HILL
Boat
This is the line I have for now. All three spools are new and unopened. The TLD II 50 has 600 yards of never used 50# maomi diamond. This is the one place I might not follow your recommendations. This reel was in its original box and kept in a closet in his garage. I am going to use this line. It might cost me a fish, if it does I will buy new line on the boat. If this happens I will be sure to fess up and return here for the well deserved "I told you so's" I think I will fill the other 50 with 80# mono for trolling. One of my TLD II 30's has braid with 100 yards of 50# mono on top. It is the reel I used in 2000. Any chance the braid is still good? I will strip it down and test it to see where it breaks.

BD LINE.jpg

BD REEL.jpg