GOT ONE
Jan 28, 2006
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Bob Hoose
Boat
PROSPECTOR
IMG_3446.JPG

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Did our annual New Years Day offshore scouting trip on PROSPECTOR. We ran for Pyramid and spent the afternoon catching cod on Desperation Reef. At about 4pm, I metered a school of yellows under the boat- dropped a Salas 6x jr on #30 Big Game and a Penn Torque 200 and immediately hooked one – ended up weighing 24.9 lbs. As it was getting dark, we anchored up in the cove and cooked up some steaks and rum drinks. Woke up at 4am and were completely fogged in- thick, could barely see the bow of the boat. While waiting out the fog, we hooked three soupin sharks of about 30-40 lbs They fight like sea bass, had our hopes up for some ‘bisquits’. At 9am, we could see enough to run, so we worked the yellowtail spot for an hour- no sign of yellow. At 10am- made a run to the west Butterfly. Found an edge of 59.5 to 60.1 degrees with birds and bait- but the water was slightly off-colored and only saw one ‘tuna like’ jumper on the break. We did have a bite on the Green Machine bird rig- which turned out to be a 9lb bonita. Worked to the west, to the 167 spot, and turned it home at 5pm. Made it to Catalina and the bait grounds & Vees at 8:30pm, and set up on a small spot of squid in 12 fathoms. It was running around our underwater lights, but we weren’t set up with crowder and could not get them to bite the squid jigs. Fished the grey light until 9am and ran home. Fun holiday, wish we would have had more time looking on the outside. COLD! BH<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Oh No You Did'nt, Now I'm gonna have to burn fuel and get wet on the way home from SCI. Nice fish, good goin on the yellow, been itchin to go there and look around. Well Done

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    meter any seabass on the back of cat?

Upvote 0

Hoose

GOT ONE
    Jan 28, 2006
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Name
    Bob Hoose
    Boat
    PROSPECTOR
    It was a Happy New Year at the pump- $205 split between the three of us was pianless for a two day trip...!

We did meter some good sign of squid at the Vee's, mostly in the deeper water- 17-20 fathoms. We tried for a few hours with the squid jigs- no go. Did not have the crowder gear onboard. One seiner there with us looking around before taking off to the west.

Did not meter any sea bass. No current in the grey. Saw spots of small bonita along the east end and frontside up to Long Point.

Happy New Year!!!

Upvote 0

scuba e

tool
    Jan 28, 2007
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    ERIK
    Boat
    20' Century
    Well done. Jello on the iron in jan! Wish my freinds had the means and desire. Till then I will just read your report.

Upvote 0

Top Shot

Gold Coast Lady Anglers
    May 28, 2008
    Ventura County
    Name
    Erika
    Boat
    Yours
    Nice when the effort pays off with such great reward!!!!!! Rad Yellow on the iron!!!!

Upvote 0