mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    What pissed me off is when I read the news release from wdfw is they make it sound like they are setting us up for failure, even though there are a few highlights it looks like. The way I read it they seemed to be saying yes the Columbia coho should be a good return but dont plan to be able to fish for them in a lot of spots because we have to protect against the other fish that may be in the same area at that time. Even when theres a somewhat positive outlook, they always find a way to set us up for failure.

Last edited:
    Reactions: NW-Quackhead

bfin58

Jul 12, 2020
    Name
    Bryan Finney
    Boat
    Northwest Boat
    I am relatively new to reviewing WDFW releases and forecasts, but you are right. They seem to always sound dour, like Eeyore is their media guy. There appears to be some bright spots in the forecast. Why not at least highlight some of the the good news?

Reactions: GregE

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 conquest... needs a name
    I am relatively new to reviewing WDFW releases and forecasts, but you are right. They seem to always sound dour, like Eeyore is their media guy. There appears to be some bright spots in the forecast. Why not at least highlight some of the the good news?
    Because the reality is that no matter how good some returns look wdfw negotiates with the tribes about as well as I do with my wife.
    So don’t expect this year to be any better than last year besides our “bonus” pinks.

hawksfan75

Wear your god damned mask!
    Sep 7, 2011
    Kent, WA USA
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Whichever I am invited onto
    I’m anxiously awaiting the “opportunity” media blitz now that it’s license buying time…

I listened to a lot of the presentation and the biologist tone is much more in line with reality. The numbers may look good compared to 2019 but historically it’s down right depressing.

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
    WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    unnamed
    Early 2010s were a great time. I remember boat limits of 20 lb chinook off swiftsure as soon as you get the ball down. Huge schools of coho finning on the surface in the sound, take the kids out and fish on every 15 minutes. Seahawks winning the superbowl. Good times

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 29, 2013
    Everett, WA, USA
    Name
    Tim
    Boat
    Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
    I didn’t see the PS nook numbers?

The PS coho numbers are ho hum. Pink numbers are decent.

Ocean coho numbers look good, but you can see that a few stocks are going to be concerning. That leads to a limiting number of “wild” encounters that will shut it down early.

In the past decade plus of closely monitoring this, it seems that the forecasted numbers rarely translate into hot or cold fishing. They do sometimes lead to closures though.

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    The PS chinook numbers aren’t mentioned but the last paragraph tells me there won’t be much of an opportunity. Salmon King is right on about raw numbers equaling biters , especially with Coho. To answer the first question the overall numbers are down in every way from years past . Lots of factors / reasons that get debated here all the time. No need to rehash.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
    Is this all for not if the FNW lawsuit succeeds in getting a judge to agree to an injunction and suspend all salmon seasons. FNW thinks its a possibility.

Polarbill1999

Almost A Member
    Aug 30, 2015
    Snohomish, WA
    Name
    Brett Yates
    Boat
    1996 Arima Sea Chaser
    Is this all for not if the FNW lawsuit succeeds in getting a judge to agree to an injunction and suspend all salmon seasons. FNW thinks its a possibility.

I was wondering what the PR fallout could be if this does happen. On one hand a lot more people would know about FNW but on the other hand it could cause a huge uproar of people caught off guard/pissed and to be opposed to FNW.

Reactions: Tish and Wild Bill

Latest posts