plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Don't know.I have an older Shimano Torium 30 that a friend bought and took on one boat ride.He didn't like the ocean and won't go back out.It's still basically brand new and not a scratch on it.I consider it new myself.

Upvote 0

themacs

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 18, 2003
San Clemente CA
Name
scott
Boat
none
I totally get what your saying! However with bigger reels and rods, some folks only go on one trip a year. If they decide to change to a different brand or type of equipment and want to sell the one they don't need. it can truly be as new. Also good close pictures can tell the tale. :). Just thought I'd defend my "as new Mak 30". LOL LOL

Upvote 0

titan05

Pelagic Terminator
Apr 7, 2004
San Diego North County
Name
Jim
Boat
Chelsea Rae
Everything that gets posted here on BD is "Used" because the rules clearly say that the classifieds are for "Used" items only and we all know everybody follows the rules ;)

If I have a reel I never fished and got it from a friend that can't catch a cold much less a fish....is it new or used ?

Upvote 0

scfisher

Make it count !
Feb 19, 2007
los angeles
Name
jay
Boat
Not yet
if you bought a reel from the store new in box then you. take it home out of the box. is it still new? That is what some people are asking on here. If you take it on a boat ride never fished unscratched is it still new?

atleast when a description is given people can decide for themselves if it is new.

but anyone getting to picky about the language or description could just go to the store to buy brand spanking new. that would solve some issues

new/used bd has been pretty good to me

Upvote 0

Jurel Hunter

We need to talk about your fishing reports.
  • Mar 11, 2007
    Carlsbad
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    FV Soldandgone
    no. it’s flat out lying. dont waste somebody’s time driving to see that an item is not as described or screw someone over. just be honest and get fair value for your stuff. don’t be a dick. it’s pretty simple.

Upvote 0

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    There’s always a spectrum. I’ve seen “new” range from brand new in unopened box to three years of boat rash but it’s “like new”

Reactions: butcherboy
    Upvote 0

A-1

"I know that I know nothing"
    Mar 31, 2020
    O.C
    Name
    A.C
    Boat
    NO
    A4AAD125-8D40-4402-865B-66B7E0810693.jpeg

Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    LOL.

Despite clear definitions for the words "new" and "used", people have a tendency to manipulate the definitions to justify a position.

Some examples were given, and viewpoints were shared, but since we don't live in a black and white world, the best we can do (as someone previously mentioned) is rely upon good quality photos and faithful descriptions with a sprinkling of trust and then let the buyer/seller decide upon themselves if it's something they'd be interested in pursuing.

Reactions: Kos and themacs
    Upvote 0

angelinasdad

Captain
    May 23, 2006
    HB
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Parker 2320
    If it has been on the water...it is used especially if it was a sport boat. Saltwater spray from the ocean or wash down can cause issues. If there is line on it...it is used. Just state on 1 or two boat rides and call it looks “Like New” rather than “New”.

Honesty goes a long way and most people can tell anyway.

Some funny ones recently with 100s of yards bunched up in the middle of the spool posted as “New”.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0