spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
77 Skippy 20 Open OB Spear-Fish III
Picked up a MinnKota Riptide Ulterra 72" through Gil (Semperfifishing) and first impression is man this thing is big.
Box is 8 feet long. Going to be a tight install. I am thinking that I will have to loose the bow rail altogether. Seems like all the boats I have seen with them don't have a bow rail. Any thoughts?
IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
May 12, 2009
Menifee, CA United States
Name
Joe
Boat
2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
Does it use the removable mounting plate? I made a mount for mine that extends under the rail to one side. Works great and no need to cut the rail.

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
Aug 26, 2005
Chino
Name
Mike
Boat
Does it use the removable mounting plate? I made a mount for mine that extends under the rail to one side. Works great and no need to cut the rail.

Do you happen to have any pictures of your install. I'm trying to look at all my options before I commit.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Fwiw, Nick at Trolling Motor Doctor says the Riptide series is the one model that will fit under CERTAIN bow rails without cutting into the rail.

Maybe give him a call with your specs.

Reactions: spear-fish
    Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
    Aug 26, 2005
    Chino
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Here you go. Also sent via PM. I will get a photo with the motor installed as well.

Thanks for the pics. I think the motor I have is too heavy for that install. Weighs 80 lbs and 112 lbs of thrust. I think I came up with a solution though.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
    Aug 26, 2005
    Chino
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Fwiw, Nick at Trolling Motor Doctor says the Riptide series is the one model that will fit under CERTAIN bow rails without cutting into the rail.

Maybe give him a call with your specs.

Thanks. The Ulterra has auto deploy which is cool, but when it deploys, it goes vertical first then trims down so the rail has to be out of the way. I think I found the solution though.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
    Aug 26, 2005
    Chino
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    After trying different configurations today, Diagonal fit the best, but would block the hatch and pretty much take up the entire bow.

IMG_1561.JPG

Running it down the side looked better, but was a very tight fit and the control head would hang over the side, possibly getting damaged.

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1569.JPG

I think I have found the best option. Have a slab of mahogany laying around and decided to widen my bow pulpit on one side to push the trolling motor far enough out to clear the windshield.

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

Plan to glass it up to match. As far as clearing the bow rail, I found this idea on the inter web and I think it is a good idea, so long as one doesn't forget to open the rail before hitting deploy.

troll_6.JPG

I'm felling better about this one.

troll_4.JPG

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    After trying different configurations today, Diagonal fit the best, but would block the hatch and pretty much take up the entire bow.

View attachment 758642

Running it down the side looked better, but was a very tight fit and the control head would hang over the side, possibly getting damaged.

View attachment 758643

View attachment 758644

I think I have found the best option. Have a slab of mahogany laying around and decided to widen my bow pulpit on one side to push the trolling motor far enough out to clear the windshield.

View attachment 758645

View attachment 758646

Plan to glass it up to match. As far as clearing the bow rail, I found this idea on the inter web and I think it is a good idea, so long as one doesn't forget to open the rail before hitting deploy.

View attachment 758641

I'm felling better about this one.

View attachment 758640

Nice! Yup, that's another viable solution and as you said, make sure you never forget to take off the locking pins. Also, you and your passengers cannot use that slim part of the bow rail for security any more; it's really just for aesthetics now to complete the look of the rail.

Self-deploying trolling motors. Yeesh, what a great time to be alive!

Upvote 0

GrabBass1

GrabBass1
    May 12, 2009
    Menifee, CA United States
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    2008 176 Sea Pro Center Console - GrabBass II
    Thanks for the pics. I think the motor I have is too heavy for that install. Weighs 80 lbs and 112 lbs of thrust. I think I came up with a solution though.
    That solution should work well for you. Mine weighs about 35 lbs. Yours would probably need a double thickness on the plate to use my method. Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck.

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
    Aug 26, 2005
    Chino
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Self-deploying trolling motors. Yeesh, what a great time to be alive!

Yes it is, and the gps powered spot lock feature is the real reason for installing it which is even more amazing to me. Imagine being able to keep the boat tight over a school of fish, structure or next to a kelp patty with the wind blowing by just pushing a button. It is a good time to be alive.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

• Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    Yes it is, and the gps powered spot lock feature is the real reason for installing it which is even more amazing to me. Imagine being able to keep the boat tight over a school of fish, structure or next to a kelp patty with the wind blowing by just pushing a button. It is a good time to be alive.

I had the Riptide (non-Ulterra) on my previous boat so I'm keenly aware of the anchor lock. Totally worth it.

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
    Aug 26, 2005
    Chino
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Finally got the trolling motor installed. Ended up just cutting and shortening the railing to clear. My son says it's the inspector gadget boat...LOL
    Probably wait till next week after the weekend craziness is over to give it a try.

IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG

Upvote 0

calicopro

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Nov 20, 2003
    La Mesa
    Visit site
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    17' Boston Whaler Montauk.... "Chocolate Bass"
    That is a gnarly trolling motor! Is it 24V? I've been thinking about upgrading to a trolling motor that is not hand controlled. Something like this would be nice.

Nice install work.

Upvote 0

spear-fish

Something smells fishey
    Aug 26, 2005
    Chino
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    That is a gnarly trolling motor! Is it 24V? I've been thinking about upgrading to a trolling motor that is not hand controlled. Something like this would be nice.

Nice install work.
    36 volt. I didn't want to go through all the expense and work and have it be under powered with the 24 volt. Never can have too much power. Also only the 36 volt comes in a 72 inch shaft.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Actually might work, although I seldom fish up front since it is so dang hard to get up there
    I feel ya. I have a similar boat with no walk-around and a radar arch made it super easy. You just grab the arch and swing around.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0