BoinLV

Nov 3, 2006
Las Vegas
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Hi all,
I'm a SoCal and Baja veteran - wife wants to visit PV in early May 2020.
I've never been; tempted in the past by my prior adventures with Keith Dinette. Anyway, the wife likes ocean-view, I like surf fishing and probably a charter. Any advice? Prefer a decent room with access to shore strolling with a pole and attractant.
Thanks a lot guys,
Bo

PullOnThis

Feb 28, 2018
California
Name
PullOnThis One
Boat
Floating beer cooler
Well I can’t tell you much about shore fishing there in PV, but my wife and I were married in PV at Hacienda San Angel and it’s a ridiculously gorgeous property to stay at. You may not get to fish while you’re there for this trip but I promise that your wife will always want to go back to that hotel and that’s easily parlayed into a few trips back down there. Not cheap, but it’s an incredible place and if you get your wife hooked on PV in general, sooner or later you will be hooked up down there as well, all puns intended.

it’s walkable to the Malecón and a short taxi to the marina. Sacrifice yourself one time at this place and you’ll be a PV regular before you know it. I only say it because it happened to me :cheers:

Reactions: lkatdpelicanfly

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
Hi all,
I've never been; tempted in the past by my prior adventures with Keith Dinette. Anyway, the wife likes ocean-view, I like surf fishing and probably a charter. Any advice? Prefer a decent room with access to shore strolling with a pole and attractant.
Thanks a lot guys,
Bo
Charter with Danny Gomez out of La Cruz.
As for shore fishing I’m not an expert but I go down every winter for a week as we have relatives that live down there so I have a rod stashed down there. Casting kastmasters or buzz bombs from shore catches some fun little needle fish or some little jacks. Usually right off the south end of the malecon if the surf isn’t up too bad. I’ve never caught anything from the beach to write home about but am usually not skunked either.

Shimano Penn

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I spent a couple weeks there this summer and have been there a few times in the past, no expert on PV but here is my take. The coast is lined with nice hotels that offer panoramic views, pools and beach access with palapas and lounge chairs you can rent by the day.
Let your wallet and a map be your guide.
I like to stay near Centro in the area called Emiliano Zapata. Later today I will dig out a map to confirm but I think that's it. If it were me I'd pick a hotel just South of the Rio Cuale but not too far South. :) This will keep you in close walking distance to Centro and the Malecon. It is known as the Romantic Zone so … yea. In the early mornings you will see a number of fisherman with spinning outfits, handlines and cast nets. Fish where they are. You probably won't catch a trophy but you will catch a number of small fish and you can offer them to the cast net people who are trying to feed their families. I think I did best with small kastmasters and some Gulp worms I brought with me. There is a tackle shop in the area, I'll try to find that map and give you the location, he can hook you up with appropriate lures. Or you can just bait fish, squid is your friend. If you want a minimal cost 4-6 hour inshore trip there are a ton of pangas right there at the pier. There are guys on the beach and all along the Malecon hawking fishing/ snorkeling trips and there are several kiosks set up doing the same. If you snorkel have one of them take you and your wife to Los Acros. For a more serious trip, as stated, the marina is probably your best bet. You will probably want to take a taxi to get there but there are busses as well.
Lastly a trick that has worked well for me in Mexico is to book the cheapest room available on whatever site I'm using and then negotiate an upgrade to a water front room when I get there. Not sure if that is a good strategy during high season though, they could be sold out?

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
Hi all,
Thanks a lot guys,
Bo
There is a cool hotel w/ restaurant-bar in the Chonchas Chinas area (south of town) called Lindo Mar Resort. All rooms are ocean view, one or two bedroom with kitchen. Reasonable rates and a 10 minute bus (under a buck) or taxi to town. The restaurant has good food and two happy hours a day. If you go ask for the mattress topper when you make the reservation.

Reactions: FishPimpII

Truman

Dec 28, 2016
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Truman
Boat
Arima SR19 "Island Time"
I spent a couple weeks there this summer and have been there a few times in the past, no expert on PV but here is my take. The coast is lined with nice hotels that offer panoramic views, pools and beach access with palapas and lounge chairs you can rent by the day.
Let your wallet and a map be your guide.
I like to stay near Centro in the area called Emiliano Zapata. Later today I will dig out a map to confirm but I think that's it. If it were me I'd pick a hotel just South of the Rio Cuale but not too far South. :) This will keep you in close walking distance to Centro and the Malecon. It is known as the Romantic Zone so … yea. In the early mornings you will see a number of fisherman with spinning outfits, handlines and cast nets. Fish where they are. You probably won't catch a trophy but you will catch a number of small fish and you can offer them to the cast net people who are trying to feed their families. I think I did best with small kastmasters and some Gulp worms I brought with me. There is a tackle shop in the area, I'll try to find that map and give you the location, he can hook you up with appropriate lures. Or you can just bait fish, squid is your friend. If you want a minimal cost 4-6 hour inshore trip there are a ton of pangas right there at the pier. There are guys on the beach and all along the Malecon hawking fishing/ snorkeling trips and there are several kiosks set up doing the same. If you snorkel have one of them take you and your wife to Los Acros. For a more serious trip, as stated, the marina is probably your best bet. You will probably want to take a taxi to get there but there are busses as well.
Lastly a trick that has worked well for me in Mexico is to book the cheapest room available on whatever site I'm using and then negotiate an upgrade to a water front room when I get there. Not sure if that is a good strategy during high season though, they could be sold out?
David,
You have info/rates on them 4-6 hour panga Inshore fishing trips? Wonder if be good idea to bring some extra tackle for the captains...maybe get discount on hourly rates. I wonder what’s there to fish for this time of the year. Thanks

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
David,
You have info/rates on them 4-6 hour panga Inshore fishing trips? Wonder if be good idea to bring some extra tackle for the captains...maybe get discount on hourly rates. I wonder what’s there to fish for this time of the year. Thanks
I don’t think you’d get an hourly discount but in my experience they appreciate the tackle as part of the tip.

Reactions: Truman

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
There is a cool hotel w/ restaurant-bar in the Chonchas Chinas area (south of town) called Lindo Mar Resort. All rooms are ocean view, one or two bedroom with kitchen. Reasonable rates and a 10 minute bus (under a buck) or taxi to town. The restaurant has good food and two happy hours a day. If you go ask for the mattress topper when you make the reservation.
Great recommendation. We stay at a private residence very near the Lindo Mar. the drinks and food there are good and the location seems perfect to me!

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Dec 28, 2016
Kaneohe, HI
Name
Truman
Boat
Arima SR19 "Island Time"
Yes it's been years since Mexicans had to scramble for tackle their stores are full now-the economy has been booming for decades.
thats what happens when you read 12 years old posts...F**k my life!!‍♂♂. Thanks for the heads up.

BoinLV

Nov 3, 2006
Las Vegas
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Many thanks, guys! Lots to consider!
Any favorite sites to research flight/hotel packages? No interest in time-share brain melts...
Thanks,
Bo