John maxim

Apr 1, 2018
Garden Grove
Name
John Maxim
Boat
2013 Ranger 220 Bahia
Hello all, John here.
went out of Newport yesterday attempting to troll for threshers. Found bait, but no luck.

can anyone give me any good advice on where to start? I’d like to target the bigger ones, only plan on keeping one, and releasing the rest.
Would much rather prefer mouth hooking instead of tail snagging
Definitely not looking to keep or kill a juvenile.
Some questions I have:

mono/fluoro size?
Trolling speeds?
Best baits/lures?
Length of leaders?
I carry a roll up rigged lure bag on my ranger, so a lot of my lures are pre rigged with mono/fluoro, crimped, swiveled. All of that.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    I don't know much about it, but i do know that treble hooks will tail hook them suckers 98% of the time. Change them to singles or slow troll macs with circle hooks.

Have fun, good luck.

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    I don't know much about it, but i do know that treble hooks will tail hook them suckers 98% of the time. Change them to singles or slow troll macs with circle hooks.

Have fun, good luck.
    SLOW troll the single for jaw hook or drift a live Mac on a balloon setup, Rapala treble 30-40 for the snag-100lb mono minimum

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    I'm far from an expert, and its been many years since i have targeted T's. There are several ways. If you want to tail hook one, you can troll a Bait-O-Matic lure. I like to pin a mac on them. Some people will pin a strip of mac or bonita, or just fish them as they are. I like the orange/yellow color. Some like the purple. Also, you can troll large Rapala lures. Slow troll about 3-5 knots max. Be carful with the trebles.
    1626802870683.png

1626803004516.png

Make sure you have at lease 8-10 feet of 150-250 lb wire leader.
    If the water is warm and clean, you are more likely to get a mako.

Use 80-100 mono main line.

You can also slow troll a few Rapala without the hooks (bait and switch). Have the drag set as loose as you can with out giving line during the troll. clicker on. If you see the tip of rod suddenly take a big dip and a little line, you have most likely been tail slapped by a T. Stop the boat. Reel in the lures as fast as you can and then toss back a dead or tail clipped mac using a large circle hook. Make sure to have a at least 100 lb mono leader). The T will come back and eat it, and you will have a nice fight that will produce an air shore, and an easier and safer release.

You can also slow troll live macs with circle hooks and piano wire leaders. Slow troll way back 1.5-3 knots.

Look for bait balls, and bait boils. Fish the dirty edge of the break, where it meets clean water.

Watch out for that tail, especially if they tail hooked.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

NoLDR

OG BD member
  • Mar 26, 2003
    Sherman Oaks
    Name
    BRAD
    Boat
    29 Baha Cruiser NoLDR
    I'm far from an expert, and its been many years since i have targeted T's. There are several ways. If you want to tail hook one, you can troll a Bait-O-Matic lure. I like to pin a mac on them. Some people will pin a strip of mac or bonita, or just fish them as they are. I like the orange/yellow color. Some like the purple. Also you can troll large Rapala lures. Slow troll about 3-5 knots max. Becarfule with the trebles.
    View attachment 1300802

View attachment 1300803
    Make sure you have a t lease 8-10 feet of 150-250 lbe wire leader.
    If the water is warm and clean, you are more likely to get a mako.

Use 80-100 mono main line.

You can also slow troll the a few Rapala without the hooks (bait and switch) Have the drag set as loose as you can with out giving line during the troll. clicker on. If you see the tip of rod suddenly take a big dip and a little line, you have most likely have been tail slapped by a T. Stop the boat. Real in the lures as fast as you can and then toss back a dead or tail clipped mac using a large circle hook. Make sure to have a at least 100 lb mono leader). The T will come back and eat it, and you will have a nice fight that will produce an air shore, and an easier and safer release.

You can also slow troll live macs with circle hooks and piano wire leaders. Slow troll way back 1.5-3 knots.

Look for bait balls, and bait boils. Fish the dirty edge of the break, where it meets clean water.

Watch out for that tail, especially if they tail hooked.

Good luck.
    point on

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
    Jul 15, 2005
    Poway Ca
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No Boat Now
    ask a moderator to place this thread in a fishing forum.
    good luck thresher fishing...

Upvote 0

bragger

Braggz
    Jun 12, 2006
    Imperial Beach
    Name
    Chris Bragg
    Boat
    none
    mono/fluoro size? 100-120 Mono
    Trolling speeds? 2-5 mph max