Pabsttumbleweed

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 26, 2020
Suckramento California
Name
Roget
Boat
63 17’ whaler
So, I’ve ventured into the big boy world of offshore boating and fishing , and although it’s not time yet , I deff want to have an idea on what’s best suited for my electronic needs , for my 25 foot pilot house .

since I was a young man furuno was always theone I’d see in saltwater sportsman magazine . But as an adult there seems to be4 major options

furuno, garmin, simrad & raymarine

I’ve used humming bird and Lowrance on my 17 ft whaler and I tell you I’m just not that thrilled about them

I’m looking for something that kinda covers all bases and gets me in the water , I can add on later but I just want radar , fish finder , gps combo to start . The guy at west marine is trying to sell me on the simrad , but I thought I’d ask the guys who put there electronics through the meat n potatoes of fishing . So if anyone has a suggestion on where to start and what to stay away from , or if they are all sorta the same , I’d appreciate your input , ty in advance .

Last edited:

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Simrad and Garmin are relatively the same (especially price). It's personal preference. I like Garmin's navigational software.

If you've got the money, Furuno is top notch imo. If it's going on your 17 footer, I don't know if I'd swing that kind of money for it. Totally happy with my Garmins.

Reactions: Pabsttumbleweed

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I agree that Furuno is the cat’s meow, especially if you plan on keeping this boat for some time. Buy once, cry once.

af dreamer

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
I owned Furuno for over 15 years and for the past 15 years I have used Simrad.For everyting except a serchlight sonar I believe they are equal in the same price range.Never used Garmin but from the people I know that installs all brands they rate Ray and Garmin below both Furuno and the high end Simrads(EVO 3).FWIW,Tom