FOXINONE

Its Fishin Time
Jun 25, 2013
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
22' Striper
if you want a epic hunt contact http://bajahunting.com arturo will take care of you. all wild birds and a great experience.

nothing to fear in mexico, prolly safer than going to some cities in the central valley or the IV
I checked out their website and the hunting looks awesome. I could not find out anything about rates but I suppose I will get an answer once I email them. Thanks for the tip

CaptJgray

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
There are plenty of Pheasants to be had in the IV if you do your scouting. As said before now is a month or so before is good but a lot of the fields get posted just before the opener.

Ive been hunting down there for 25 years with someone who grew up on the feed lots and farms down there. to this day I still find new spots

Id be happy to point you in the right direction if you'd like. Just shoot me an email [email protected]

I don't mind sharing a bit as the info was passed onto me and my friends to keep the tradition alive.

I only ask that you support the local businesses and try to make it to the Pheasants Forever Banquet thats held down there.

I won a puppy and a couple shotguns and rifles in the past. Its a fun event.

Reactions: Blackfish

FOXINONE

Its Fishin Time
Jun 25, 2013
San Diego
Name
Ken
Boat
22' Striper
There are plenty of Pheasants to be had in the IV if you do your scouting. As said before now is a month or so before is good but a lot of the fields get posted just before the opener.

Ive been hunting down there for 25 years with someone who grew up on the feed lots and farms down there. to this day I still find new spots

Id be happy to point you in the right direction if you'd like. Just shoot me an email [email protected]

I don't mind sharing a bit as the info was passed onto me and my friends to keep the tradition alive.

I only ask that you support the local businesses and try to make it to the Pheasants Forever Banquet thats held down there.

I won a puppy and a couple shotguns and rifles in the past. Its a fun event.
That is great information. I will definitely email you. Thanks again

Big_Mike199

Jul 22, 2014
Name
Mike
Boat
The Trophy Pro
To be honest, I've had extremely good luck in the cut alfalfa and abandoned fields outside and around Calexico the last three years. I have yet to come across a dry field, speaking in terms of roosters, but that may just be good fortune. I would bet on that for opening day. One pointer I would have though is that a lot of the, "Hunters" in California really don't have any courtesy / etiquette when it comes to finding or hunting their own fields. Just steer clear of the crowds and always keep your eye out for some a**hole who might be driving right up through your hunting ground.

shearwater2

Mar 7, 2008
Long Beach
Name
Tony
Boat
17' whaler
Was down near Mexicali at the end of the season last year and saw absolutely NOTHING. And I have a map drawn for me by a guy who has hunted there for 40 years.

shearwater2

Mar 7, 2008
Long Beach
Name
Tony
Boat
17' whaler
The problem with DWU plants and hunts is the idiots. If the field has birds there will be someone who will shoot your dog. Pleasure of hunting with idiots. Wouldn't be surprized to hear they will shoot you too. I have been peppered.

CaptJgray

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Shearwater,

The problem with going by a map is that the crops change every year. What doesn't change are the ditches and the cover.

A field that had asparagus last year and provided great feed and cover could be sugar beats this year.

Alfalfa is always good and easy to hunt, if its near the other essentials.

Scouting is your friend down there. I saw a lot of birds recently out in the open. If you don't scout before the opener you are going in blind...

Luck and a good dog go a long way if you don't scout.