New to Offshore

Lab

Feb 10, 2013
Adams mn
Name
Derek poshusta
Boat Name
T ba
Ok so a little background I am an experienced angler and guide from MN. My main body of water is Millelacs lake. No ocean by any means but it is our largest lake. I have also fished Michigan and Superior. I really want to take my 23 ft Proline to Venice to get on some offshore action. I don’t expect the same results as if I were to charter a boat but I really want to do it on my own. I just like learning and the sense of accomplishment is very fullfilling to me. I am looking for any tips and pointers. I have plenty of gear for trolling. Questions how far offshore do I need to go to get on some good rigs in April. I would love to catch a nice wahoo too. Proline has a 200 Honda with 130 gallon fuel tank so I can cover some ground. I won’t be as fast as the twins but I am not in a huge hurry. Like I said I am eager to learn and would appreciate any help

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat Name
44 luhrs dreamer
You will really need to learn to use a cast net and how to catch bait.I think the offshore rigs are 30 to 60 miles.When I was there last year we fished the 30 ish ones for YFT.Going back home n August.Tom

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat Name
44 luhrs dreamer
Never had done it,metered the fish and chummed a few baits.Im sure if there is wahoo and Marlin around they will bite the lures,just have not done it there.Tom

Upvote 0

Striker Tackle

Advertiser
Advertiser
Aug 7, 2017
Venice, La
Name
Jimmy Russel
Boat Name
29' Seavee
This time of the year Tuna will be caught on the shelf rigs with Live pogies. Rigs: Elf, Amberjack, Pompano and many others

Upvote 0

Lab

Feb 10, 2013
Adams mn
Name
Derek poshusta
Boat Name
T ba
This time of the year Tuna will be caught on the shelf rigs with Live pogies. Rigs: Elf, Amberjack, Pompano and many others
Sounds like Saturday and Sunday next week I am going to give it a try. Totally new to this so super excited. Best way and places to get bait. Cast net or do they sell it

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat Name
44 luhrs dreamer
I would charter someone for at lease one trip to learn the ropes or maybe you can hire someone to run your boat.You might be able to locate someone out of Venice Marina.Tom

Upvote 0

Lab

Feb 10, 2013
Adams mn
Name
Derek poshusta
Boat Name
T ba
I am not sure if the pogies showed up at the end of Northeast pass. Bring some frozen pogies for cut bait
I would Be all in on someone running my boat for a day if there’s anybody out there who wants to go on a fishing trip we would obviously take care of all gas I brought as much gear as I could fly down with because I have to fly into Tallahassee to get the boat first. I’m not sure if I have the right stuff I also plan on buying some gear too. Weather is looking good for next Sunday and Monday. We are not super picky on species. Just sick of snow and Ice covered lakes. Some nice Blackfin Tuna would keep us busy and a shot at a few yellow fin would be a bonus. I have 4 Penn trolling reels spooled with 100lb power pro and 50 lb flour carbon leads. I am also packing few penn open face with 9 ft Rods spooled with 50 lb power pro. Let me know if anyone is interested in running my boat out to the gulf. I would make it worth your time.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat Name
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Derek, since your boat will be in Venice and Jimmy of Striker Tackle is in Venice, I'll bet that he can put you in touch with local skippers, either pros or local Power Squadron guys who would be willing to help you get a feel for the situation. Contact him privately, he won't want to publicly play favorites from among his customers.

Upvote 0

Lab

Feb 10, 2013
    Adams mn
    Name
    Derek poshusta
    Boat Name
    T ba
    Well my trip was not what I was Looking for. We had an issue with marine band radio and were unable to fix it over Easter weekend. Not a lot of options in Venice as everyone was closed over weekend. Didn’t feel comfortable going offshore with no communication. Next trip I will be more prepared. Thanks for the help I do want to try again. Thinking next nov or December .

Reactions: Saintwho
    Upvote 0

Striker Tackle

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 7, 2017
    Venice, La
    Name
    Jimmy Russel
    Boat Name
    29' Seavee
    Well my trip was not what I was Looking for. We had an issue with marine band radio and were unable to fix it over Easter weekend. Not a lot of options in Venice as everyone was closed over weekend. Didn’t feel comfortable going offshore with no communication. Next trip I will be more prepared. Thanks for the help I do want to try again. Thinking next nov or December .

Try and come down in October for shrimp boat season

Upvote 0

Lab

Feb 10, 2013
    Adams mn
    Name
    Derek poshusta
    Boat Name
    T ba
    Sounds good I will and thanks for the help Jimmy. Is October good time for Dorado too? I would like to come down and leave the boat for the winter for a couple trips

Upvote 0

Striker Tackle

Advertiser
    Advertiser
    Aug 7, 2017
    Venice, La
    Name
    Jimmy Russel
    Boat Name
    29' Seavee
    Sounds good I will and thanks for the help Jimmy. Is October good time for Dorado too? I would like to come down and leave the boat for the winter for a couple trips

There maybe a few hanging around but that is more of a summer pattern

Upvote 0