New to Oahu Fishing

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Fishing Reports Forum' started by matt71viks, Sep 5, 2011.

1. matt71viks

matt71viks Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    n/a
    I've been stationed on Oahu for the past two years(the last one spent in Iraq). I just got back from deployment and I really want to explore Oahu to its full potential as I only have a year left. This past weekend I went fishing with a buddy from work and had a blast. We caught only one hammerhead shark, but had other bites and nibbles. I was hoping someone could help me get started gear wise and location wise as well. I want to try to keep everything under 100 dollars starting out. Im not too proud to shop at Wal-Mart. Any advice, techniques, locations and gear lists that anyone could provide would very much appreciated.

Matt

PS: Im trying to stay on the shore or a pier. Also Im an expierenced fisherman back on the mainland, so I know my way around a rod and reel, but I understand the game changes drastically to saltwater vs freshwater.

2. jd808

jd808 Newbie

Name:
    JD
    Boat:
    24' Alii Kai "Goose"
    Howzit Matt,

Thank you for your service to our country. I am not much of a shore fisherman, so will not be much of a help.

I do know that you can setup for dunking which is shallow bottom fishing with dropper loops several hooks with bait and lead on the bottom. We usually use rubber bands on the lead in case it gets caught on some structure you can at least get part of your rig back. The stores sell surf casting rigs with the dropper loops and swivels already tied.

Another option is whipping where you cast out various artificials and try to entice more of a surface bite. A possible way to get started in this is to buy the clear bubbles that you half fill with water. Use a 4-5' leader and attach a small plastic grub. Whip this along reef edges and vary your retrieve. I like this type of fishing as it is a little more involved. You can also whip various plugs over structure. Mark White from Kauai makes some nice ceramic ones.

Good luck sorry I couldn't be more helpful. One thing I do know is whether it's shore fishing, boat fishing, salt water or fresh, this hobby is a disease and that first $100 will just end up being a drop in the bucket.

Aloha,
    JD

3. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Ika "squid" you can buy frozen works great for bait also frozen shrimp and black curly tails too. I would pick up a ceramic plug from Mark white (white with red feathers & red eye) better make that two need a back up (1oz or 1.5oz).

If you need a rod and reel you can go cheap but usually that kind setup don't last. I would recommend and Ugly stick 25-30lbs and a penn 750ssm that way you can be versatile dunk, whip, etc.

Easy to sell when you move but will probably want to keep it since its a nice setup.

Oama fishing is also fun and very cheap & you can keep them alive in a 5gal bucket for bait but that is a whole different kind of shore fishing.

Mahalo for the service!

4. matt71viks

matt71viks Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    n/a
    Thanks guys. Do you have any recommendations as where to fish off of piers. I went to MCBH and fished of the pier there. I live in Waipahu and was trying to go someplace closer like Ewa Beach or Pearl Harbor.

Thanks Again,
    Matt

5. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    I don't live on Oahu but I know pearl harbor is a good spot.

6. Scarleg

Scarleg Dorkfish

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Matt ..Thank you for your service brah!!
    Man.... one of the Hawaiian local guys needs to offer up this guy an offshore trip for his service to our country.If I was there, I would have him on the water in a heartbeat.Hopefully one of the locals chime in and step up.I lived their and know that the Hawaiian people are very generous and good folks.
    Where I lived on the North shore ,we would whip like one of the other posters said along the reefs edge.Pretty fun and keeps you busy
    Eric

7. CMonster01

CMonster01 Newbie

Name:
    Clifford
    Boat:
    Big enough to float without it
    Go get white bread from the Loves downtown (day+ old stuff cheaper). Chum the water and look for what comes up, smaller fish and predators. You may be surprised at what likes white bread (NOT brown). Then setup for what is there.

I prefer rising tides for shoreline, and often apex bite is tide-change. That's when I tend to see more splashes from surface feeding.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

8. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    matt, welcome to bloodydecks and welcome home to yourself and all of our steely eyed barrel chested freedom fighters in the Warrior BDE. check out this link for a fishing spot closer to your a.o. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/ha...nt-caught-anything-nice-all-yet-whipping.html

in addition to what cliff was saying about using bread as chum, i've found that mixing the bread with a couple of cans of jack mackerel in oil puts out quite the slick for chum. there are alot of patriotic local fishermen on this board that take Soldiers out. make sure when you go, you listen well and realize that these guys have been fishing hawaii for generations and each Captain and boat you fish on will teach you something. also keep in mind you have some great fishing just across the street from Schofield http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/hawaii-fishing-reports/122416-one-last-try-lake-before-i-go.html

9. Blue Ice

Blue Ice Newbie

Name:
    Big B
    Boat:
    2670 Glacier Bay "Maddie Girl"
    Matt,Give me a call or PM me on this site and I'll share a few tips with you.429-1469Big B

10. matt71viks

matt71viks Newbie

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hey guys,

Hows everyone doing? I have tried all of your tips so far and I'm doing really well. I've also learned some tips and tricks from a buddy of mine who is unfortunately leaving. So if there is anybody on here who is new like I am or rather was here goes. I have to primary fishing spots at MCBH and Hickam AFB. During daylight hours a throw out some shrimp and try to catch oama or weke to use as bait fish during the night. We catch all kinds of fish by using different methods at night such as dunking, slighting and floating. I have had the most luck on squid strips sardines oama and shrimp at night. Last thursday I caught a 5lb Bonefish and a 3lb weke. We floated the weke out whole and had a tremendous bite. I set the hook but instead of setting it again I reeled in. Unfortunately we lost it. Anyways hope this helps some of the new guys and pays tribute to all of the vets.

Thanks Again,
    Matt

11. SloTroller

SloTroller Newbie

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    McKee Craft Southporter 17.5', MaryTime
    Matt... Many locals would rather go fishing where you are... I guess the old adage is right, the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

Meanwhile, keep at it! And post pics... Aloha!

12. localhawaii

localhawaii Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    none
    Aloha Matt,

PM me and I'll shoot you over some spots to fish. I am more of a shore fisherman myself, so I cant help with any boat fishing.

13. TAILCHASER75

TAILCHASER75 Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    HO
    Best of luck! Thank you for doing what you do!!!

Tight Lines=

14. Jens

Jens traffic sucks

Name:
    Jens
    Boat:
    Not mine
    Matt,
    Used to be stationed at Kaneohe, try the shallows near the base campground, decent papio when they are around, also have seen some nice sized ulua pulled up from there, need a long rod though to get past the reef..damn i miss fishing in Hawaii, nothing like it..tight lines

15. Yelfin22

Yelfin22 Newbie

Name:
    Pete bautista
    Boat:
    Crystal B II
    Matt, call Pete at Schofield Outdoor Rec and they always take soldiers out on fishing trips. He will back to work this coming Monday. Keep fishing!!!!