dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Well I got the new to me reel in the mail today and it's awesome. Penn vsx 16
    image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
    May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    4 and counting!
    very nice!

Ducker!

Upvote 0

Waterdog~

Just one more
    Sep 1, 2009
    Hollywood
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Tiderunner
    looks purdy

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    What is that used for that far north?
    For the off chance that the big ones make a showing offshore the PNW. The Pacific North West for you southern boys that think the world revolves around San Diego and points south.[emoji238] [emoji207]

Nice looking reel. What you gonna spool it with?

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    For the off chance that the big ones make a showing offshore the PNW. The Pacific North West for you southern boys that think the world revolves around San Diego and points south.[emoji238] [emoji207]

Nice looking reel. What you gonna spool it with?
    It was an honest question. Big ones as in albacore, bluefin, larger Halis? It was my understanding that the largest tuna are around 50lbs and the largest halis don't require a reel of this caliber.

Reactions: goatram
    Upvote 0

Gooch Larue

Aug 22, 2014
    Name
    Chris Holmes
    Boat
    29' North River "Thunder Road"
    I love it...
    Growing up as a teen I remember seeing the international in fishing mags and have always wanted one ever since. It is still on my bucket list. I'm glad you got it. You never know what will happen to an American fishing icon, God forbid.
    I just paid double the price to get a US made Penn 4/0 vs the imported one.

Enjoy....

Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    It was an honest question. Big ones as in albacore, bluefin, larger Halis? It was my understanding that the largest tuna are around 50lbs and the largest halis don't require a reel of this caliber.
    No harm no foul.

I understood the question. The big boys have been known to show up. Vance has the boat to cruize further out in the hunt. Spelling out the PNW was just a little poke in the eye for some down south. Gotta keep up my assholish rep! Ya know?

Upvote 0

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
    Sep 9, 2013
    Carnation
    www.metropolitandetail.com
    Name
    Benjamin
    Boat
    Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
    Love that reel! Had a penn 30vsx for Hells canyon sturgeon. Was over kill but loved the way it looks. It the icon of fishing reels in my opinion. Yeah there are other bad ass reels, but the Gold penns are the first of it caliber. Even the old ones looks sick and function great

Upvote 0

Fog Ducker!

Misanthropical member
    May 9, 2010
    North of Kali!
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    4 and counting!
    plus they look really nice.....

As if Kelli Ann needed more bling!
    Or is it a requirement to join the Playa's Club?

I picked one up on Ebay a couple of years ago, love it!

Ducker!

Upvote 0

Uncle Binky

Proficient at swapping lower units
    Oct 17, 2010
    Monroe WA USA
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Herring Voices - Grady White 265 Express
    It makes sense to have a heavy setup and drop it deeper than the albies when you can. Nearly every year we get spooled and its only a matter of time until we at least drag something to the surface for a look. I have had more than one gomer laugh at a 30 or 50 in the rack on my boat, but having a 4/0 stripped to the bottom of the spool makes one think there's gonna be that day...

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    not sure what I am going to spool up...

Upvote 0

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
    Aug 8, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    "Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    It makes sense to have a heavy setup and drop it deeper than the albies when you can. Nearly every year we get spooled and its only a matter of time until we at least drag something to the surface for a look. I have had more than one gomer laugh at a 30 or 50 in the rack on my boat, but having a 4/0 stripped to the bottom of the spool makes one think there's gonna be that day...
    There were sword's caught off the WA coast this year commercially so we know they're out there. We've also seen striped Marlin jumping while on a bait stop in years past. It's just a matter of someone putting in the time to target them.

Upvote 0

Emz

someone check my bait while I go....
  • Mar 13, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out) Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
    yer all wrong, not even freaking close.
    That new gizmo is used a DAABA (Dumb Ass Anchor Bitch Ascendor).
    You see, Vance's boat has this fag pink anchor he doesn't want to scratch, so Vance sends down one of his crew to dislodge and clean the anchor prior to hauling it in. The reel is attached to the anchor, and the lucky bastard on anchor duty uses it to reel himself back to the surface. "Why doesn't anchor bitch just ride the anchor back to surface", you ask? . Well, dumbass spent all his money on a new main, and the windlass on Kelli Ann can barely handle the anchor weight (pink fag anchors are especially heavy) and as Vance typically fishes with a bunch of fat-ass beer swilling deck whores... well, you can do the math. You might ask yerself - "Why would any self respecting fat-ass beer swilling deck whore fish w/ Vance if they might be chosen for anchor bitch?" Contrary to previous text, the man (the legend) is no idiot - he invites 6-8 people to help split the fuel bill. Chances are approx 15% you get chosen, and if you don't get chosen you get in on the side pots: Will anchor bitch suffer from baro-trauma? Will anchor bitch figure out the drag needs to be tightened? Will Marlin Mike slip anchor bitch some tongue whilst performing CPR? Multiple side pots can be quite lucrative!

Reactions: dragonballs
    Upvote 0