New to MA Fishing and BD

Discussion in 'Massachusetts Fishing Reports' started by NSS, Aug 20, 2018.

1. NSS

NSS Newbie

Name:
    NSS
    Boat:
    N/A
    Hi All,
    I'm a SoCal native who is in MA a lot now. New to this fishery and have been after stripers for a month or so. Anyways, I'm looking for recommendations for an offshore charter to go after tuna or deep sea fish. Looking for sore arms and meat for the freezer. Have gone on a couple of inshore charters and had fun. But CA-style offshore fun is what I'm looking for! Any suggestions? Many thanks in advance.
    NSS

2. Bob_NH

Bob_NH Newbie

Name:
    Bob
    Boat:
    N/A
    FYI few school bluefin this season. Fish over 73" go to the boat per NMFS. Fishing fairly good for them. Make sure you have a firm understanding with the captain as to how tuna sale proceeds are going to be handled. The fair guys will credit a % of auction towards the charter, but don't wait until a fish is landed to ask. Good luck.

NSS likes this.
  3. NSS

NSS Newbie

Name:
    NSS
    Boat:
    N/A
    Thanks for letting me know. Good info. Any yellowfin out there in North Atlantic?

4. Northeastfshman

Northeastfshman Moderator

Name:
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat:
    Parker 2120SCDV

Tons but it's a hike. You'll need to get to the continental shelf most year (occasionally they get up on the 50 fathom line) which is 70-120 NM from the beach depending on where you leave from.

You'll fish gulf stream eddies that spin off and hit the normal North Atlantic water. Growing up the YFT fishing was unreal out there. We'd limit most nights on fish from 60-120lbs. but it's tapered off over the year. It can still be really good.

The good part is on those trips you'll have shots at huge Big Eyes from 100-300lbs, Swordfishing is good from Sept - November and some big Albies up to 70lbs, also add Mahi's to the mix. It can be hit or miss.

The Helen H used to run great trips from Hyannis https://helen-h.com/rates/

Plenty of local charters as well.

PS you should be blackfishing (Tautog) best fish in the ocean hands down.