new to kite fishing, any tips?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by kindafishy, Jun 15, 2017.

1. kindafishy

kindafishy I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    hello, i've never fished a kite before but dove in head first and geared up. (i think)

penn kite rod
    daiwa tanacom 1000 with 100# spectra
    aftco kite
    aftco kite rigging kit.

any tips would be appreciated.

troll or drift?
    if troll what speed?
    is a balloon needed, or make it easier to fly?
    how far back?

also wondering if anyone has tried running a downrigger while kite fishing, so both at the same time. just me thinking out loud.

thank's!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. justin cardenas

justin cardenas Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    justin cardenas
    Boat:
    "Foul Hooker"
    I wouldn't mind tagging along and giving you a little education on the kite

2454 big mike and Cy Bodden like this.
  3. dave_k

dave_k Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Whaler
    Sounds like you're all set in the gear dept.

There's definitely others with more knowledge than me, but here's my take...

troll or drift? Depends on conditions. Most fish I know of have been taken on the trolled yummy flyer. If there isn't enough wind you'll have to fish this way to keep the kite up. If drifting you'll want to run a single or double live bait.

if troll what speed? Usually 6-8 kts is good, but will depend on your kite and the wind.

is a balloon needed, or make it easier to fly? Only if drifting on a light wind day. If it's windy or you're trolling a balloon is not needed.

how far back? 100 yards minimum, preferably longer. You also don't want it straight back, the key is getting it off to the side.

Hope that helps. Lots of variables and it will take a little trial and error on your end. Good luck. Hopefully some guys with a little more expertise can chime in.

4. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Tip #1: Don't sink the kite. Be very careful when changing your heading.........or this can happen......"so I am told". LOL

5. gecsr1

gecsr1 28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
    Practice practice practice....

6. bajaandy

bajaandy Condition One

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    Parker 2530 "WET-O's"
    Two reasons for the balloon: you can fill it with helium for lift and, if you splash the kite, you won't be reeling in a sea anchor.
    I have a Tigress kite which I modified by adding a tail to stabilize it. I also use a large helium balloon tied to the back of the kite. I found 36" balloons online way cheaper than "kite fishing" balloons, and I keep a cylinder of helium on the boat, not one of those party balloon tanks.
    Google and Youtube are your friends.

7. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    The aftco kite can be a bit tricky but fly nice when you can get them up. If you dunk it, clean it well with soapy water and dry it out. These need to be clean to fly right. I usually look pretty silly trying to get these up as my boat and tower block the wind pretty bad. Even with the balloon, these can be problematic in difficult wind. I keep a helium tank on the boat as well. The Boston Kite is an easy flyer and you may want to give it a try.

8. kindafishy

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    thank you all for the info! i just picked up a 55 cu. ft. aluminum helium cylinder today. a great deal, im trading some fabrication work for it. i already have the balloon fill valve thingy. the balloons came in the mail today also. hoping to get out next week, tuesday or wednesday. so keep them tips coming, i can use all the help i can get!

apogee and evilkhemist like this.
  9. NGSD1

NGSD1 Dreamer

Name:
    Nick
    Boat:
    35 Cabo Express
    just make sure that the tank is one that you can swap out. I have found it is better to rent than own. I bought a brand new one and didn't want to swap it for an old one. The gas companies don't like to fill, they like to exchange and it can be a real pain sometimes to get yours filled. Helium is really getting expensive now too.

10. kindafishy

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    yes i'm familiar with their tactics.....i'm doing the trade with one of my welding supply stores i deal with. its brand new, factory sealed with plastic wrap. already confirmed a exchange for a full bottle at $50.00 OTD. and its not the diluted balloon grade helium either.

11. lougio

lougio Capt Lou

Name:
    Lou
    Boat:
    '03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
    I bought my kite last year and when everybody on both coasts were out of the Boston Big Game kites I bought the same style kite from a shop in OC. Flew it for the first time this weekend. Wasn't too difficult to fly. Got it wet twice but was able to get it flying again with some difficulty but not too bad. I'm using a Penn Intl kite rod/Penn 114H reel filled with 80lb mono. I've got a Penn Intl 30II filled with 100lb mono that I'm using with the "Cow Rigged" Yumee. But after flying it on Saturday.. I don't think I have the line capacity on the 30. I was into it fine tuning the kite height and Yummee action. My son not so much. too much tweaking.

12. ?? fisherman

?? fisherman super Captain

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Kencraft CC
    With straight 100lb mono you are definitely not going to have the line capacity you ideally want when kite fishing those bft.

At least you are getting out and fine tuning your kite fishing method, so more power to you for that..... I'm bigtime landlocked right now, so consider yourself lucky to be getting out.

Good luck to you!!

The unknown fisherman:p:

13. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Tip #2: Swivels are mandatory. If you wanna really, REALLY jack up a spool of spectra, tie a yummie flyer on without a swivel and tow it around all day........

......"so I am told". :D

capt. kirk and Papa "J" like this.
  14. kindafishy

Name:
    SCOTT
    Boat:
    love the wisdom guys thank's a bunch and keep it coming. looks like i might be able to get out on wednesday or thursday. hopefully with all the help from you guys my learning curve will be minimal.

15. HavasuSun

HavasuSun Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Proline 32 "Knot Reely”
    Sounds like you have it figured out. Good luck! I used the aftco kite last year and it worked fine. This year i am using the boston big game. No comparison with regards to ease of use. I am all about keeping it simple (stupid). I cant imagine a scenario where i would go back to the aftco kite. For drift fishing i will use a straight helium ballon with no kite.

16. DOGHOUSE26

DOGHOUSE26 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff meeker
    Boat:
    26 Blackman Billfisher
    Keep it simple, get the Boston kite it's an easy flyer. You'll need at least 3 guys; a driver, a kite flyer, and the Angler. Until you know what you're doing, its too hard to keep the kite flying and drive the boat too; you will have to change your speed every time you change direction in relation to the existing wind and current. The Kite Flyer watches the kite and keeps it high in the sky by telling the driver to speed up or slow down; The Angler watches the yummy flyer and keeps it skimming across the surface splashing every 3-6 feet or so by reeling in or letting line out as the kite changes its position. 100 yards behind the boat is OK but 150 yards is better; you want it out so far that you can barely see it with the naked eye with 20/20 vision. To help you find it, tie a 6' piece of flouresant red or orange 1" wide landscape tape 6'-8' above the yummy so you will know where to look for the skipping bait. The tape will show up just above the Horizon with the Yummy just behind it.
    The Penn 30SW is just fine however you need to strip off the mono, put 500-750 yards of 100-130# spectra topped with 100-200 yards of 100-130# Mono and you should be set. Don't panic when you get bit, keep the boat moving to keep the line tight while the Kite Flyer reels the kite in to the boat. once the kite is in turn the boat to an angle which helps the angler reel in line in High Gear. When the fish gets between 50-100 yards from the boat it will turn around and make another long run maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the first run; when he stops let the angler put the reel in low and grind the fish back to the boat. Most BFT will dive deep on the final run when they get towards the boat and since these are big fish they will make 30' circles on the way up instead of the 5-10' circles you see on the normal 15-50# fish; be prepared to yell at the angler to follow his fish from corner to corner or you will lose it in the running gear. If possible keep the boat in gear running straight ahead and plane the fish up alongside the boat just like they do on Wicked Tuna and gaff it with a couple of gaffs between the driver and the Kite Flyer.
    Once the fish is on board; rotate assignments and get a new angler in there!