The American Tackle Company

Bob4

Apr 24, 2021
Florida
Name
Robert Parbus
Boat
BX22 Sea Hunt
Hello all, First post and 1st spinning rod coming up. I fish inshore in SW Florida. ( 10K Isles) Buddy of mine gave me a pacific bay wrapper, bunches of thread, few packages of guides ,epoxy /color preserver. Have ordered a burnishing tool, pro paste, new O rings for the wrapper. . Still need advice on reamers for cork handles. I'm sure to make a few mistakes so not gonna go crazy on my first build. I've been reading for a couple days now and will continue to do so for probably a week before I have everything needed and in place. I have looked over the thread on materials also. Need to know what to do for a thread magazine/tensioner for this wrapper. Was wondering if there is a magazine that holds a few spools? I can see changing 1 spool /color at a time to be an easy fix. I'm not even sure which model Pacific bay I have. No markings on it. Has 2 sections (8ft total) 2 motors ( wrap and dry) 2 rod guides and foot pedal and speed select. I would just rather get a tensioner made for this wrapper if that's possible. No doubt I'll have a lot of noob questions. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
You're going to need a third "rod guide" roller setup.Maybe a fourth.

Reactions: Bob4
Upvote 0

Bob4

Apr 24, 2021
Florida
Name
Robert Parbus
Boat
BX22 Sea Hunt
You're going to need a third "rod guide" roller setup.Maybe a fourth.
Thanks. How far apart should they be? I don't think I'll be building anything less than 7'6" for myself anyway. Best place to get another roller guide?

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
Thanks. How far apart should they be? I don't think I'll be building anything less than 7'6" for myself anyway. Best place to get another roller guide?
I have about 6 rod guides ... you should at least have 4 or five ...there not that expensive
squidco has them in san diego, or even mudhole on line.... good luck

Upvote 0

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
Name
Bill
Boat
sunk it
I make my own reamers out of 80 grit sand paper, epoxy, and pieces of old rods. Works better than the crappy ones I've bought online

Reactions: Hotroddin
Upvote 0

cmepen

• Jun 16, 2009
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Einar Lohner
    Boat
    Cabo Marine 226
    Try thread bobbins as a posed to trying the multi thread spool carriages. You will save yourself lots of frustration that way (IMHO).

Reactions: skrilla
    Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    How far apart depends on the blank.A lighter more flexible blank would need more support,otherwise you're fighting a bending blank as you wrap.Mudhole would be the best bet for you in Florida.

Upvote 0

Hotroddin

Landlocked, but still hookin' 'em
    Feb 15, 2012
    FC Colorado
    Name
    Matt Riddell
    Boat
    Fish Cat 4 "Seafood"
    I've been forgetting to order a reamer for 8-9 years now. I just use a circular rasp I had laying around. It's not great and I need to be careful about maintaining a round hole, but it works well enough that I've not bothered to upgrade. Sometimes my holes get a little lopsided but that's why I started making awesome looking winding checks to cover them up lol

Upvote 0

Bob4

Apr 24, 2021
    Florida
    Name
    Robert Parbus
    Boat
    BX22 Sea Hunt
    Alcohol. Both for cleaning and for drinking. Don't forget the music.
    I used to build my own ammo. And for the most part alcohol wasn't an option. The ramifications of a mistake there were worse than ruining a fishing rod.

Upvote 0