New to BD and new Skipjack owner here

BUSBY

Jul 6, 2022
Dana Point, CA
Name
Brian Busby
Boat Name
Damn Skippy
Hello everyone ... I'm new to BD Forums and a first time Skipjack owner. I've been a boat owner for 30 some years, just never had a Skipjack.

Purchased a 1982 28 Flybridge this past weekend that needs work, but has good bones. I will be asking questions I'm sure. This boat needs new engines and my first is if the port engine is reverse rotation or regular? 305ci SBC's.

Here are some pics of her. Boats name is Damn Skippy out of Huntington Beach, will now live in Dana Point.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg

image_7.jpg

image_8.jpg

image_9.jpg

Upvote 0

abdiver7777

abdiver7777
  • Jul 2, 2009
    So Cal
    Name
    Sir2you
    Boat Name
    No Name........
    Very nice....
    I used to own a 24" FB....

you should consider outboard or diesel conversion... My first choice would be Outboards..

Good luck with it!

Reactions: BUSBY
    Upvote 0

BUSBY

Jul 6, 2022
    Dana Point, CA
    Name
    Brian Busby
    Boat Name
    Damn Skippy
    Very nice....
    I used to own a 24" FB....

you should consider outboard or diesel conversion... My first choice would be Outboards..

Good luck with it!

Thanks!

I’m considering diesels, just looking for what’s all involved in the swap. I’m not a fan of outboards myself

Reactions: tbev
    Upvote 0

Farpoint

Sep 18, 2019
    Nanoose Bay, BC
    Name
    FarPoint
    Boat Name
    28 Skipjack, 733 Zodiac Hurricane
    Nice looking 28. I have a 28 that had been repowered in about 2005. I’ve crawled over pretty much every square inch of it - and can tell you a bit about the repower that was done, performance, props, etc.
    I have KAD32’s on DPE drives, and it’s a bit tight in there but they work well, and I have most of the service access points figured out.
    Mike recently had a new venturi windshield made for me. It came out perfect. Some fitting required of course, but looks great.

Your engine probably isn’t reverse rotation, but it looks like the drive leg is set up to turn opposite. (Left hand prop)

Are there front windows in that boat? I thought there was another one with that color scheme and the same name, but sitting on a tandem (as mine is)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

BUSBY

Jul 6, 2022
    Dana Point, CA
    Name
    Brian Busby
    Boat Name
    Damn Skippy
    Nice looking 28. I have a 28 that had been repowered in about 2005. I’ve crawled over pretty much every square inch of it - and can tell you a bit about the repower that was done, performance, props, etc.
    I have KAD32’s on DPE drives, and it’s a bit tight in there but they work well, and I have most of the service access points figured out.
    Mike recently had a new venturi windshield made for me. It came out perfect. Some fitting required of course, but looks great.

Your engine probably isn’t reverse rotation, but it looks like the drive leg is set up to turn opposite. (Left hand prop)

Are there front windows in that boat? I thought there was another one with that color scheme and the same name, but sitting on a tandem (as mine is)
    Yes there are front windows. Mike @ Skipjack told me about your build & I’ve looked at your posts. VERY clean and inspiration for me. I will be ordering a Venturi from him soon.
    I will message you about the repower deal. The previous owner had started tearing into engines, but gave in & just decided to sell … so I have work ahead of me but it’ll be worth it in the end.

Reactions: tbev
    Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat Name
    Skipjack 24 Fly
    Super cool boat, congats! Do your absolute best to find out every area that needs attention while the motors are out. Transom, stringers, tanks, wiring, etc. Just build \ buy a couple sbc's, toss them in there and get on the water, that's my opinion.

Reactions: marlyn and BUSBY
    Upvote 0

BUSBY

Jul 6, 2022
    Dana Point, CA
    Name
    Brian Busby
    Boat Name
    Damn Skippy
    Super cool boat, congats! Do your absolute best to find out every area that needs attention while the motors are out. Transom, stringers, tanks, wiring, etc. Just build \ buy a couple sbc's, toss them in there and get on the water, that's my opinion.
    Yeah, that's the plan at this point. I'm not going to rush anything, I'm the type that would rather go thru it and do it right taking a bit more time ... but knowing everything is solid.

Upvote 0