New to Avets Need some info on small bait reels

Excaliber

• Oct 12, 2006
    Meridian, ID.
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    sold
    I was hoping someone here could give me some recommendations for reels to fish 20-30 lb for smaller schoolie sized tunas? I'm currently using some Penn Fathom 25N's for 25-30 lb but IMHO they are too big of a reel. I don't like the frame height for such lite line fishing.

They are super smooth with great drags. I'm waiting to see the new Fathom 15XN's but they will still have the same larger frame. I have a Fathom 12 for 20 lb but was wondering about the smaller Avets?
    I like smaller, narrower reels so I was looking at the SXJ. I don't really need a 2 speed for this type of fishing. How about the newer G2 reels they look to have higher drag specs?

How smooth are the Avets compared to the Fathoms? How does the drag compare? Free spool? I hear a lot about the handle turning issues/side load with no thrust bearing on Avets. Is this still an issue when pushing past their specs?

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    I bought two Avets.I really don't care for either of them.Too heavy and i really don't like the handle getting harder to turn when the drag is tightened up.For smaller fish there are better options.IMO.

Reactions: Texas Tuna
    Upvote 0

Bigdog 1961

Desert Sportfisherman
    Aug 1, 2015
    Cave Creek AZ
    Name
    David Piazza
    Boat
    Been there done that
    Never fished the Penn reels so I can‘t compare but I have a pair of SX Raptors that are small light and strong. They can fish the 20 lb to the 40lb with no problem but the G2 would be a great budget alternative. Avets are easy to work on and you can do your own maintenance with a little mechanical ability and are American made. If you operate the reel correctly and don’t push it beyond its design limits it will go for many years without replacing bearings.

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
    Torrance, Ca
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    none
    i fish the sx raptor, no side load because tou wont push it past the spec when fishing 30lb fish and will easily handle larger fish

if you are going g2 go raptor and be done

Upvote 0

Excaliber

• Oct 12, 2006
    Meridian, ID.
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    sold
    Not much positive info to be fournd here on the Avet board about these reels. I don't need a SX Raptor to fish smaller fish. The G2 was where I was leaning but many people say the Fathoms are just better reels. I'll stick with the Penn reels.

Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I have 2 MXJ's and I take them on every local trip. They are filled with 50lb JB solid and I change fluro leaders depending on if I want to fish 20lb, 25lb or 30lb. I have been fishing the same 2 reels for about 6 or 7 years with zero problems. The Fathom 25 two speed is also a good reel. My Fathom 25 is filled with 65lb JB and I use use it for fishing 40lb and 50lb line. It has landed many 80lb and 90lb fish at Guadalupe with no problems. I just depends on what feels better to you.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat
    Chips N Guac
    I'd say a lot of people are also satisfied with them.

My 20 - 40 lb Avet setup is my MXJ Raptor. Sometimes I have to downgrade because it just doesn't seem fair when fighting the fish.

The SXJ Raptor would be a fine choice too. I love Avets because they're simple, durable and great work horses.

Upvote 0

Noms

Dirty taco maker
  • Aug 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Angel
    Boat
    15 foot tin can
    My avet sxj g2 did great this year. Started fishing the season on half days with #20 mono topshot and eventually full days with fresh #50braid backing and a short leader of my choice of line that day. Have the drag at strike set to 6.5 pounds, no issues with turning the handle. Sits on a phenix black diamond or a custom wrapped varmac inshore blank. Sadly the avet sxj reel foot doesn't sit well in my 196 black steel.

Upvote 0

mmayo

Barking Spider
  • Jul 18, 2006
    Tehachapi, CA
    www.landofmayo.com
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Vagabond & Royal Star
    I have several Avets that works for 20-30# test.

SX 5.1 - great for 20 #
    MXJ 6/4 - great for 20,25 and 30
    MXJ RAPTOR - superb for 30-40

Upvote 0

Sirgonzolot

Jan 17, 2021
    Pa
    Name
    Stephen Gonzalez
    Boat
    Intrepid
    I think Avet Reels are great. My sx is spooled 17 -20 pline backed with spectra. A Shark and a Amber J spooled me on 25 and I had a hard time trying to thumb it and pop it after my hands were wet from grabbing baits, the drag just wouldn't break it. Maybe because I do A.Tani service to my reels. G2 would give just a bit more for great smooth drag on 17-25 like you think. Side pressure on the handle is felt if you push the drag a scosh to far which 17-20 does not on the regular Sx. Mxl and Mxj g2 and raptures have lots of setups you can do. Just don't crank the cam on AVETS to see how much drag you can get and then find out, " why is the handle hard to crank?" Then the bearings are on there way to give you a weird feeling you search for feeling that your gear is jacked a little all the time. My only draw back with AVETS is the constant pop from it locking back into the anti reverse that is used, instead of the ARB bearing. You get used to it once you have one though its not a game changer. I will not buy any other reel other than Accurate or Avet any more. I only buy MADE IN THE USA . Not , assembled in the USA with parts made in another Country. There are many others that are say, smoother or buttery but not for me anymore. I love the feel of Avet and Accurates. Good luck with you choice Brother!

Crazy how when I was a kid fishing Newport to San Diego my reels were black or Penn500L red but now my reel bags look like bags of skittles!

Upvote 0

LesNessman

Nov 28, 2019
    Washington
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    None
    I bought a MXL 5.8 to fish 20 pound line. It worked great on 2 trips to Baja last summer. I think the drag max is 9 pounds at strike. I fish it at 25% so around 5 pounds drag at strike. Super smooth, awesome on dorado.

Upvote 0

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
    buckley wa
    Name
    josh
    Boat
    Yes
    I use sx and mxj (all non-raptor) some G2 with 50 lb braid and a 30 mono/ flouro top shot for live anchovie albacore fishing with 9lbs at strike and am very happy with how they perform. We run 20 lb on some, usually late season with smaller bait and they’re good then too. My preference? Mxj. I have sxj, sx, mxj, Mxl and lx in avet sizes.

Upvote 0