New stadium proposal. What do you think?

Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
So....if the taxpayers are going to spend that money anyway. Why not spend it on a new stadium that will keep the NFL in SD and bring back the superbowls. Not to mention all the other events a new multiuse stadium could host.

Even Mark Fabiani says the Super Bowl rotation is no longer a given. He actually called it a myth: “Washington D.C. wants a Super Bowl, Chicago wants one. San Francisco is getting one. Atlanta will get one with its new stadium. Same for Minnesota,” he said. And his kicker: “The idea of a rotation is a myth,” he said.

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
The hardest part about looking at the revenue and economic impact of the NFL is that it is just very difficult to quantify just how and when revenue is generated. For example. The city is going to host the MLB Allstar game in 2016. That event will reach something like 100 plus countries and shown on television in 13 different languages with a total TV audience of about 46 million people. What do you think that would cost if the city were to advertise San Diego on TV to that kind of audience? I asked the head of the Tourism Marketing district what that would cost and he said his budget was around 30 mil and it would take more than that. Now imagine the Super Bowl (which has a much bigger audience) playing in February when most of the country is shoveling snow. Imagine people watching the game and seeing those cut away shots of hang gliders over Torrey Pines or San Diego Bay, the beach, Zoo, Seaworld. Imagine all the people who now want to come to SD and spend their tourist dollars. The second largest source of income for the city I believe.

The NFL is very important to the city and the Chargers are our team. Let's show the NFL and the Chargers that we want them here.

May I ask you how many dollars in campaign contributions you have received from the Spanos family, Chargers employees, the Chargers organization, etc? I am not being accusatory, I am just wondering. For all I know the answer may be none.

Paul

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
Frank, this conversation is about the Chargers. Not bowl games hosting out of town teams and their fans who travel here for said bowl game and stay in hotels for their visit, eat at restaurants visit tourist traps.

Apples and oranges.
Kurt made a statement that there is no revenue from the Stadium.......I provided some facts......

Upvote 0

Sherm

aka: The Sherminator
May 16, 2006
San Diego
Name
Scott
Boat
Yak
Paul,

I am pretty sure the answer is none. I haven't looked to be sure and don't know the names of all the people who work for the Chargers. Dont want to give you a definative none and then find out somebody donated fifty bucks that works for the Chargers. You can always go to the San Diego ethics commission website and find the info. Its all there for the public to see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Paul,

I am pretty sure the answer is none. I haven't looked to be sure and don't know the names of all the people who work for the Chargers. Dont want to give you a definative none and then find out somebody donated fifty bucks that works for the Chargers. You can always go to the San Diego ethics commission website and find the info. Its all there for the public to see.

Thank you, Sherm.

Paul

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
Can someone explain this to me....
The San Diego Chargers were paid nearly $3.3 million by the city to play at Qualcomm Stadium from 2006 through 2013, thanks to rent credits and reimbursements from a settlement that made the stadium compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Without the ADA settlement and rent credits, the Chargers would have owed the city nearly $23 million during that span, according to figures provided by the city.

Final figures for the 2014 season haven't been calculated. Rather than pay $3 million rent, the Chargers likely will make around $250,000, according to city estimates.

http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=aK_90Wd1er37EFadbiUzgI&u=NBCSanDiego

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Can someone explain this to me....
The San Diego Chargers were paid nearly $3.3 million by the city to play at Qualcomm Stadium from 2006 through 2013, thanks to rent credits and reimbursements from a settlement that made the stadium compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Without the ADA settlement and rent credits, the Chargers would have owed the city nearly $23 million during that span, according to figures provided by the city.

Final figures for the 2014 season haven't been calculated. Rather than pay $3 million rent, the Chargers likely will make around $250,000, according to city estimates.
Here ya go but you ain't gonna like it :rofl:This on a stadium we've already paid for twice. A 1.2 billion dollar steaming turd would be insanity.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/must-reads/fact-check-city-pays-chargers-play-qualcomm-stadium/

All these rent credits cut what the team owes to the city from $3 million to typically under $1 million every season. When you throw in the ADA settlement, which has averaged about $1.3 million a year, the city comes out as the net loser.

This shows the city’s losses each year since 2007. Taxpayers are still paying for their share. Last year, the debt was almost $4.8 million, an amount due until the loan is finally paid off a decade from now. This money has to be paid regardless of whether a new stadium is built.

As far as "revenue" hitting the occasional jackpot at vegas doesn't mean you are keeping your bottom line in the red. You have to actually make more than you spend, right?http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...iego-loses-so-much-money-on-qualcomm-stadium/
Combined, the city lost $12 million on Qualcomm Stadium last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sgtsilbaugh
Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
uploadfromtaptalk1432685399802.png
uploadfromtaptalk1432685409682.png

Upvote 0

ConSeaMate

Legend in my own mind
Sep 6, 2005
Escondido
Name
Buster Brown
Boat
Here ya go but you ain't gonna like it :rofl:This on a stadium we've already paid for twice. A 1.2 billion dollar steaming turd would be insanity.

http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/must-reads/fact-check-city-pays-chargers-play-qualcomm-stadium/

All these rent credits cut what the team owes to the city from $3 million to typically under $1 million every season. When you throw in the ADA settlement, which has averaged about $1.3 million a year, the city comes out as the net loser.

This shows the city’s losses each year since 2007. Taxpayers are still paying for their share. Last year, the debt was almost $4.8 million, an amount due until the loan is finally paid off a decade from now. This money has to be paid regardless of whether a new stadium is built.

As far as "revenue" hitting the occasional jackpot at vegas doesn't mean you are keeping your bottom line in the red. You have to actually make more than you spend, right?http://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...iego-loses-so-much-money-on-qualcomm-stadium/
Combined, the city lost $12 million on Qualcomm Stadium last year.
So who sued the City for violating the ADA?......who gets the money?...

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Last edited:
Reactions: junkyarded
Upvote 0

sulla

Jan 1, 2007
Torrance CA
Name
Sulla
Boat
Party Boat Near You
Good lord please get the stadium built!! Nobody wants to see that garbage move north. Especially people in LA!

Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Good lord please get the stadium built!! Nobody wants to see that garbage move north. Especially people in LA!
Good point, that landfill is already over flowing :rofl:

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
So....if the taxpayers are going to spend that money anyway. Why not spend it on a new stadium that will keep the NFL in SD and bring back the superbowls. Not to mention all the other events a new multiuse stadium could host.

Just a small correction. The new stadium will not be a multiuse facility, it will be a football stadium. Yes, it could host other events, but it will be designed and made for professional football. We currently have a multiuse stadium in Qualcomm. Unfortunately, few professional sports teams now are willing to share a stadium with a team from another sport.

Paul

Upvote 0

Sgtsilbaugh

"Keep calm and.........FISH ON!!!!"
Apr 14, 2014
Brea
Name
Kevin
Boat
qajaq
Just a small correction. The new stadium will not be a multiuse facility, it will be a football stadium. Yes, it could host other events, but it will be designed and made for professional football. We currently have a multiuse stadium in Qualcomm. Unfortunately, few professional sports teams now are willing to share a stadium with a team from another sport.

Paul
Reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in Ohio, I went to the 3rd to last game of the Indians at the old stadium they shared with the Browns before they built Jacobs Field.

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
I don't even know the names of 75% of the Chargers players anymore and after this year will know less, they just come and go. If they move to Smell-A I'll probably just forget the team name as well... I'm into T-Ball right now... more game and less drama... :D

Reactions: dweston
Upvote 0

Aggro

Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
I don't even know the names of 75% of the Chargers players anymore and after this year will know less, they just come and go. If they move to Smell-A I'll probably just forget the team name as well... I'm into T-Ball right now... more game and less drama... :D
If my prediction is correct, Rivers will be scooped up by Denver next year after the Chargers move to Carson :D You can still root for Rivers :rofl:

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses

Paul

Excellent points...We do already have a multi-use stadium. Aged yes, but who gives a crap if you're going to a concert or moto X,

Call a spade a spade. This is driven by and for the Chargers.
    Can we as a city/region/team partnership get something done in a timely manner that benefits all sides is the issue.

Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

Jun 11, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    It should also be pointed out that many of the events that are being touted as possibly using a new stadium are things that could be hosted at Petco, the Sports Arena, or the current Qualcomm stadium.

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 26, 2003
    Escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    I'm a Ho'.....
    Fix my damn streets.

Which again, is what the Chargers offered to do on multiple occasions, but the city leaders screwed it up big time. Spanos isn't being greedy, he's being realistic. Everyone will benefit from a stadium, so everyone should chip in.

Upvote 0

Vermonster

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Feb 26, 2003
    Escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    Sean
    Boat
    I'm a Ho'.....
    How is the NFL a nonprofit?
    They play 8 games here. What's the ROI on a $1,000,000,000+ new stadium?

Mike, people need to stop thinking about it as only 8 events a year. It will possibly host hundreds. As an example, Arizona, in the first year of the next stadium, hosted 115+ events of different sizes. And that stadium isn't as centrally located as this one would be. Lots of stuff will go on there. Don't forget about the Aztecs, bowl games, races, car shows, and on and on. Everybody will benefit from a new place.

Upvote 0

Sluester

I kill stuff
    Jul 22, 2003
    Lakeside
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Killin time, Bill Collector
    How Sean? Tell me how I would directly or even indirectly benefit?

"Hundreds" of events?

Upvote 0

Latest posts